The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: email@example.com
Dr Ivana Evans
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Ivana Radosavljević Evans was born in Belgrade, the capital of Serbia. She obtained her first degree in Physical Chemistry at the University of Belgrade and her PhD in Chemistry at Oregon State University, under the supervision of Professor Art Sleight, in 1999. After moving to the UK, she joined the group of Professor Judith Howard at the Durham University Department of Chemistry as a post doctoral research associate. She was the recipient of the Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre Prize for Younger Scientist Award for 2003. In 2005, she took up an independent RCUK Academic Fellowship. She was appointed a Lecturer in in Structural/Materials Chemistry in 2009, promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2011 and Reader in 2015.
Ivana was the Chair (2011 - 2014) of the Physical Crystallography Group of the British Crystallographic Association and the Structural Condensed Matter Physics Group of the Institute of Physics. She has served on the Diffraction peer review panel for Diamond Light Source (2010-2014) and on the ISIS Diffraction peer review panel (2015-2017), and is currently a member of the RSC Materials Chemistry Division Council, the RSC Faraday Discussions Standing Committee and the IUCr Commission on Powder Diffraction.
My research interests are in the area of solid state chemistry and structure-property relationships of functional materials across the chemical spectrum. Properties of materials and hence their practical applications are intimately linked to their three-dimensional structures. By understanding the structures, we aim to understand the behaviour of materials and feed this knowledge back into our synthetic efforts, with the ultimate aim of making new functional materials with improved properties and prospects for practical applications.
Current research projects are focussed on three main areas: development of new oxide ion conductors, hydrogen-bonded organic functional materials and polymorphism. These projects encompass synthetic work (solid state, solvothermal, crystal growth), characterisation of static and dynamic structure (powder and single crystal X-ray and neutron diffraction, electron microscopy, total scattering, solid state NMR, inelastic/quasi-elastic neutron scattering, impedance spectroscopy) and computational modelling (ab-initio molecular dynamics, AIMD).
New oxide ion conductors
Oxide ion conductors are technologically important materials, essential for applications such as oxygen sensors and pumps, ceramic membranes for oxygen separation and partial oxidation of light hydrocarbons and solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs), where they act as electrolytes transporting O2- ions to react with a fuel such as hydrogen in the direct clean conversion of chemical to electrical energy. Our current research focusses on the discovery of new materials with high ionic conductivity, particularly at at lower temperatures (500-750oC)1-5. Ionic mobility in solids is of fundamental significance; however, if suitable materials are found, the SOFC operating temperatures could be lowered, thus alleviating the two main problems (reliability and cost) which currently limit their widerspread use in energy generation.
We recently reported the remarkably high low-temperature ionic conductivity in Bi1-xVxO1.5+x (x = 0.087, 0.095; s~3.9 ×10-2 S/cm at 500oC) and the roles of the different structural building blocks in this process.1 We have attributed this remarkable behaviour to the simultaneous presence of three key factors: a highly polarisable sublattice with vacancies, central atoms able to support variable coordination numbers and geometries, and the rotational flexibility of the these coordination polyhedra. Importantly, the structure is a stable, pseudo-cubic 3 × 3 × 3 fluorite-based superstructure.
Figure 1: Oxide ion migration pathways in Bi1-xVxO1.5+x obtained by AIMD simulations; white displacement clouds represent space visited by oxide ions; V coordination polyhedra VOx shown in red; OBi4 groups and Bi atoms shown in yellow. (a) direct O2- exchange between VOx groups; (b) O2- exchange between VOx groups via a OBi4 tetrahedron; (c) O2- vacancy-hopping through the Bi-O subllatice.
Functional hydrogenous materials and short strong hydrogen bonds
Behaviour of protons in short strong hydrogen bonds (SSHB), including migration and ordering, has implications for charge and energy transfer in chemical and biological systems in the solid state, including ferroelectric and non-linear optical materials, magnetic coordination polymers and enzyme reactions. The aim of this project is to investigate solid-state structure and dynamics of SSHB systems with proton migration and gain insight into the specific structural features and phonon modes that drive this behaviour. Synthesis, crystallisation and variable temperature X-ray diffraction work are carried out at Durham; neutron diffraction, inelastic neutron scattering and computational modelling at the ILL in Grenoble, France.
Temperature-induced proton migration has traditionally been associated with the hydrogen bond length. Our recent experimental and computational work on the four isotopologues of 3,5-pyridinedicarboxylic acid demonstrate that a local picture of the H/D environment is insufficient to understand the migration and transfer phenomena, even in simple molecular systems. Deuterated 3,5-pyridinedicarboxylic acid exhibits deuteron migration of a magnitude unprecedented in this class of materials. Importantly, deuteron migration is significantly more pronounced (0.32 Å vs. 0.09 Å) than the proton migration. Our results provide significant new insight into how an isosymmetric phase transition and vibrational free-energy stabilisation drive this behaviour and computationally predict the isotope effect observed experimentally.6
Figure 2: Isotopologues of the 3,5-pyridinedicarboxylic acid. (a) temperature dependence of the D5-O4 and D5-N1 distances in d-35PDCA and H5-O4 and H5-N1 in h-35PDCA obtained from single-crystal neutron diffraction; (b) variable-temperature powder neutron diffraction reveals a first-order phase transition associated with remarkably large deuteron migration in d-35PDCA.
Polymorphism of pharmaceutical solids
Increasingly stringent and demanding regulatory expectations imposed on the pharmaceutical industry necessitate a full, accurate and precise characterisation of its products. This is particularly important for different polymorphs of drug molecules, since they can differ in properties which determine therapeutic performance, such as dissolution rates and bioavailability.
This project involves identification and determination of crystal structures of polymorphic pharmaceutically relevant materials, studies of thermal stability and thermodynamic relationships between polymorphs, as well as processing-induced effects (e.g. by grinding, pressing, freeze drying).8-9
Figure 3: Concomitant polymorphism in chincomeronic acid (3,4-pyridinedicarboxylic acid), commonly used as a multifunctional ligand in coordination chemistry: molecular structures of Form I (needles) and Form II (blocks) differ only in the position of one hydrogen atom, leading to different crystal structure and hydrogen bonding motifs in the solid state.
Applications of powder diffraction in archaeology and art conservation
Applications of modern analytical techniques to archaeological and art objects fall into two major areas. Archaeometric studies focus on various provenance-related issues. Conservation science deals with questions related to degradation of objects with time or under certain environmental conditions. Powder X-Ray diffraction is a valuable tool in both of these areas. It can give information about the mineralogical composition, pigments used for decoration and degradation products, thus shedding light on geographical origin, manufacture processes and period, as well as preventative or remedial conservation measures.
In these projects, we collaborate with archaeologists and conservation scientists in the UK and abroad. Recent work includes Byzantine ceramics provenancing10, (Fig. 4, in collaboration with Dr. Ljiljana Damjanovic, Faculty of Physical Chemistry, University of Belgrade, Serbia) and identification of corrosion products from an ancient Egyptian figurine (Fig. 5, in collaboration with Hannah Urquhart and Dr. Chris Caple, Department of Archaeology, Durham University).
- Oxide Ion Conductors
- Solid State Chemistry
- Functional materials
- Gajić-Kvaščev, Maja, Bikić, Vesna, Wright, Victoria J., Radosavljević Evans, Ivana & Damjanović-Vasilić, Ljiljana (2018). Archaeometric study of 17th/18th century painted pottery from the Belgrade Fortress. Journal of Cultural Heritage 32: 9-21.
- Peet, Joseph R., Chambers, Matthew S., Piovano, Andrea, Johnson, Mark & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2018). Dynamics in Bi(III)-containing Apatite-Type Oxide Ion Conductors: A Combined Computational and Experimental Study. Journal of Materials Chemistry A 6(12): 5129-5135.
- Liu, Huiyu, Zhang, Weiguo, Halasyamani, P. Shiv, Stokes, Harold T., Campbell, Branton J., Evans, John S. O. & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2018). Understanding the Behavior of the Above-Room-Temperature Molecular Ferroelectric 5,6-Dichloro-2-methylbenzimidazole Using Symmetry Adapted Distortion Mode Analysis. Journal of the American Chemical Society 140(41): 13441-13448.
- Peet, J.R., Fuller, C.A., Frick, B., Zbiri, M., Piovano, A., Johnson, M.R. & Radosavljevic Evans, I. (2017). Direct Observation of Oxide Ion Dynamics in La2Mo2O9 on the Nanosecond Timescale. Chemistry of Materials 29(7): 3020-3028.
- Tate, Matthew L., Blom, Douglas A., Avdeev, Maxim, Brand, Helen E. A., McIntyre, Garry J., Vogt, Thomas & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2017). New Apatite-Type Oxide Ion Conductor, Bi2La8[(GeO4)6]O3: Structure, Properties, and Direct Imaging of Low-Level Interstitial Oxygen Atoms Using Aberration-Corrected Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy. Advanced Functional Materials 27(8): 1605625.
- Wind, Julia, Kayser, Paula, Zhang, Zhaoming, Radosavljevic Evans, Ivana & Ling, Chris D. (2017). Stability and range of the type II Bi 1−x W x O 1.5+1.5x solid solution. Solid State Ionics 308: 173-180.
- Tate, M. L., Fuller, C. A., Avdeev, M., Brand, H. E. A., McIntyre, G. J. & Radosavljevic Evans, I. (2017). Synthesis and characterisation of new Bi(iii)-containing apatite-type oxide ion conductors: the influence of lone pairs. Dalton Transactions 46(37): 12494-12499.
- Lewis, James W., Payne, Julia L., Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic, Stokes, Harold T., Campbell, Branton J. & Evans, John S. O. (2016). An Exhaustive Symmetry Approach to Structure Determination: Phase Transitions in Bi2Sn2O7. Journal of the American Chemical Society 138(25): 8031-8042.
- Kerr, Hannah E., Softley, Lorna K., Kuthuru, Suresh, Nangia, Ashwini, Hodgkinson, Paul & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2015). A furosemide – isonicotinamide cocrystal: An investigation of properties and extensive structural disorder. CrystEngComm 17(35): 6707-6715.
- Nunes, Sayonara Eliziario, Wang, Chun-Hai, So, Karwei, Evans, John S.O. & Evans, Ivana Radosavljević (2015). Bismuth zinc vanadate, BiZn2VO6: New crystal structure type and electronic structure. Journal of Solid State Chemistry 222: 12-17.
- Peet, Joseph R. , Widdifield, Cory M., Apperley, David C., Hodgkinson, Paul, Johnson, Mark R. & Evans, Ivana Radosavljević (2015). Na+ mobility in sodium strontium silicate fast ion conductors. Chemical Communications 51(96): 17163-17165.
- Harriss, Bethany I., Vella-Zarb, Liana, Wilson, Claire & Radosavljevic Evans, Ivana (2014). Furosemide Cocrystals: Structures, Hydrogen Bonding, and Implications for Properties. Crystal Growth and Design 14(2): 783-791.
- Frantsuzov, I., Ford, S.J., Radosavljevic Evans, I., Horsewill, A.J., Trommsdorff, H.P. & Johnson, M.R. (2014). Measurement of proton tunneling in short hydrogen bonds in single crystals of 3,5 pyridinedicarboxylic acid using nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. Physical Review Letters 113(1): 018301.
- Harriss, Bethany, Wilson, Claire & Evans, Ivana R (2014). Niclosamide Methanol Solvate and Niclosamide Hydrate: Structure, Solvent Inclusion Mode and Implications for Properties. Acta Crystallographica Section C Structural Chemistry 70(8): 758-763.
- Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic, Evans, John S. O., Davies, Heather G., Haworth, Abby R. & Tate, Matthew L. (2014). On Sr1-xNaxSiO3-0.5x New Superior Fast Ion Conductors. Chemistry of Materials 26(18): 5187-5189.
- Payne, Julia, Tucker, Matt & Evans, Ivana R (2013). From Fluorite to Pyrochlore: Characterisation of Local and Average Structure of Neodymium Zirconate, Nd2Zr2O7. Journal of Solid State Chemistry 205: 29-34.
- Ford, Samantha J., McIntyre, Garry J., Johnson, Mark R. & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2013). Structure and dynamics studies of the short strong hydrogen bond in the 3,5-dinitrobenzoic acid-nicotinic acid molecular complex. CrystEngComm 15(37): 7576-7582.
- Tallentire, SE, Child, F, Fall, I, Vella-Zarb, L, Evans, IR, Tucker, MG, Keen, DA, Wilson, C & Evans, JSO (2013). Systematic and Controllable Negative, Zero, and Positive Thermal Expansion in Cubic Zr1–xSnxMo2O8. Journal of the American Chemical Society 135(34): 12849-12856.
- Payne, Julia, Farrell, James, Linsell, Alistair, Johnson, Mark & Evans, Ivana R (2013). The Mechanism of Oxide Ion Conductivity in Bismuth Rhenium Oxide, Bi28Re2O49. Solid State Ionics 244: 35-39.
- Ling, CD, Miiller, W, Johnson, MR, Richard, D, Rols, S, Madge, J & Evans, IR (2012). Local Structure, Dynamics, and the Mechanisms of Oxide Ionic Conduction in Bi26Mo10O69. Chemistry of Materials 24(23): 4607-4614.
- Kuang, Xiaojun, Payne, Julia L., Farrell, James D., Johnson, Mark R. & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2012). Polymorphism and Oxide Ion Migration Pathways in Fluorite-Type Bismuth Vanadate, Bi46V8O89. Chemistry of Materials 24(11): 2162-2167.
- Kuang, X, Payne, JL, Johnson, MR & Evans, IR (2012). Remarkably High Oxide Ion Conductivity at Low Temperature in an Ordered Fluorite-Type Superstructure. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 51(3): 690-694.
- Johnson, R. D., Tang, C. C., Evans, I. R., Bland, S. R., Free, D. G., Beale, T. A. W., Hatton, P. D., Bouchenoire, L., Prabhakaran, D. & Boothroyd, A. T. (2012). X-ray diffraction study of the temperature-induced structural phase transitions in SmVO3. PHYSICAL REVIEW B 85(22): 224102.
- Damjanovic, Ljiljana, Holclajtner-Antunovic, Ivanka, Mioc, Ubavka B., Bikic, Vesna, Milovanovic, Dragan & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2011). Archaeometric study of medieval pottery excavated at Stari (Old) Ras, Serbia. JOURNAL OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL SCIENCE 38(4): 818-828.
- Ford, SJ Delamore, OJ Evans, JSO , McIntyre, GJ Johnson, MR & Evans, IR (2011). Giant Deuteron Migration During the Isosymmetric Phase Transition in Deuterated 3,5-Pyridinedicarboxylic Acid. Chemistry - A European Journal 17(52): 14942-14951.
- Krstic, Milena, Sovilj, Sofija P., Grguric-Sipka, Sanja, Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic, Borozan, Suncica & Santibanez, Juan Francisco (2011). Synthesis, structural and spectroscopic characterization, in vitro cytotoxicity and in vivo activity as free radical scavengers of chlorido(p-cymene) complexes of ruthenium(II) containing N-alkylphenothiazines. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY 46(9): 4168-4177.
- Coelho, A. A., Evans, John S. O., Evans, Ivana R., Kern, A. & Parsons, S. (2011). The TOPAS symbolic computation system. Powder Diffraction 26(S1): S22-S25.
- Das, J, Freitas, FS, Evans, IR, Nogueira, AF & Khushalani, D (2010). A facile nonaqueous route for fabricating titania nanorods and their viability in quasi-solid-state dye-sensitized solar cells. Journal of Materials Chemistry 20(21): 4425-4431.
- Kuang, X & Evans, IR (2010). Four New Dysprosium and Neodymium Octamolybdate Hydrates: Assembly of RE2(Mo8O27) Sheets and Topotactic Transformations. Inorganic Chemistry 49(13): 6005-6012.
- Krstic, Milena, Sovilj, Sofija P., Grguric-Sipka, Sanja, Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic, Borozan, Suncica, Santibanez, Juan Francisco & Kocic, Jelena (2010). New ruthenium(II) complexes with N-alkylphenothiazines: Synthesis, structure, in vivo activity as free radical scavengers and in vitro cytotoxicity. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF MEDICINAL CHEMISTRY 45(9): 3669-3676.
- Kuang, X, Li, Y, Ling, CD, Withers, RL & Evans, IR (2010). Oxide Ion Conductivity, Phase Transitions, and Phase Separation in Fluorite-Based Bi38-xMo7xO78+1.5x. Chemistry of Materials 22(15): 4484-4494.
- Lister, Sarah E., Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic & Evans, John S. O. (2009). Complex Superstructures of Mo2P4O15. Inorganic Chemistry 48(19): 9271-9281.
- Bezjak, Jana, Recnik, Aleksander, Jancar, Bogtjan, Boullay, Philippe, Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic & Suvorov, Danilo (2009). High-Temperature Transmission Electron Microscopy and X-Ray Powder Diffraction Studies of Polymorphic Phase Transitions in Ba4Nb2O9. JOURNAL OF THE AMERICAN CERAMIC SOCIETY 92(8): 1806-1812.
- Li, Yuandi, Hutchinson, Tom P., Kuang, Xiaojun, Slater, Peter R., Johnson, Mark R. & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2009). Ionic Conductivity, Structure and Oxide Ion Migration Pathway in Fluorite-Based Bi8La10O27. CHEMISTRY OF MATERIALS 21(19): 4661-4668.
- Das, Jaykrushna, Evans, Ivana R. & Khushalani, Deepa (2009). Zinc Glycolate: A Precursor to ZnO. INORGANIC CHEMISTRY 48(8): 3508-3510.
- Hutchinson, Tom P. & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2008). Comment on new oxide ion conductors La3MMo2O12 (M = In, Ga, Al). SOLID STATE IONICS 178(31-32): 1660-1662.
- Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic, Howard, Judith A. K., Evans, John S. O., Postlethwaite, Stella R. & Johnson, Mark R. (2008). Polymorphism and hydrogen bonding in cinchomeronic acid: a variable temperature experimental and computational study. CrystEngComm 10(10): 1404-1409.
- Barker, Rosemary S. & Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic (2008). Structural characterization of RE(10)W(22)O(81) rare-earth tungstates (RE = Ce, Nd). ACTA CRYSTALLOGRAPHICA SECTION B-STRUCTURAL SCIENCE 64(6): 708-712.
- Crossland, Clare J., Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic & Evans, John S. O. (2008). Structural chemistry of (PPh4)2M(WS4)2 materials. Dalton Transactions (12): 1597-1601.
- Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic, Howard, Judith A. K. & Evans, John S. O. (2008). Structural ferroelectric phase transition and polymorphism in 2-aminopyridine dihydrogen phosphate. Crystal Growth and Design 8(5): 1635-1639.
- Jacimovic, Zeljko K., Radovic, Ana, Leovac, Vukadin M., Tomid, Zoran D. & Evans, Ivana Radosavjevic (2007). Crystal structure of bis(mu(2)-thiocyanato)tetrakis(3,5-dimethyl-t(thiocarbamoy)pyrazole)dini ckel(II) dichloride ethanol disolvate, [Ni(NCS)(2)(C6H6N3S)(4)] [Cl](2)center dot 2C(2)H(5)OH. ZEITSCHRIFT FUR KRISTALLOGRAPHIE-NEW CRYSTAL STRUCTURES 222(4): 430-432.
- Othman, Abdullah, Evans, John S. O., Evans, Ivana Radosavljevic, Harris, Robin K. & Hodgkinson, Paul (2007). Structural study of polymorphs and solvates of finasteride. JOURNAL OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES 96(5): 1380-1397.
- R. S. Barker & I. R. Evans (2006). An investigation of the Nd2O3-MoO3 phase system: thermal decomposition of Nd2Mo4O15 and formation of Nd6Mo10O39. Journal of Solid State Chemistry 179(6): 1918-1923.
- Russell, J.M., Parker, A.D.M., Radosavljevic-Evans, I., Howard, J.A.K. & Steed, J.W. (2006). Anion-binding mode in a sulfanylphenyl urea complex solid state symmetry breaking and solution chelation. CrystEngComm 8(2): 119-122.
- Russell, J.M., Parker, A.D.M., Radosavljevie-Evans, I., Howard, J.A.K. & Steed, J.W. (2006). Simultaneous anion and cation binding by a simple polymer-bound ureidopyridyl ligand. Chemical communications 2006(3): 269-271.
- Szecseny, KM, Leovac, VM & Evans, IR (2006). Synthesis and characterisation of a novel polymeric Cd complex, catena-(mu-thio)[bis(N-phenylthiourea]bis(dimethylsulphoxide)dichloroc admium(II). JOURNAL OF COORDINATION CHEMISTRY 59(5): 523-530.
- Evans, IR, Szecsenyi, KM & Leovac, VM (2005). 1-(hydroxymethyl)-3,5-dimethylpyrazole. ACTA CRYSTALLOGRAPHICA SECTION E-STRUCTURE REPORTS ONLINE 61(3): O625-O626.
- D. R. Turner, B. Smith, E. C. Spencer, A. E. Goeta, I. R. Evans, D. A. Tocher, J. A. K. Howard & J. W. Steed (2005). Anion binding by Ag(I) complexes of urea-substituted pyridyl ligands. New Journal of Chemistry 29(1): 90-98.
- Evans, IR, Szecsenyi, KM & Leovac, VM (2005). Di-mu-chloro-bis\chloro[3,5-dimethyl-1-(thiocarbamoyl)pyrazole-kappa N-2(2),S]cadmium(II)\. ACTA CRYSTALLOGRAPHICA SECTION E-STRUCTURE REPORTS ONLINE 61(4): M641-M643.
- L. Applegarth, N. Clark, A. C. Richardson, A. D. M. Parker, I. Radosavljevic-Evans, A. E. Goeta, J. A. K. Howard & J. W. Steed (2005). Modular nanometer-scale structuring of gel fibres by sequential self-organization. Chemical Communications (43): 5423-5425.
- I. R. Evans, S. Tao & J. T. S. Irvine (2005). Phase transition, thermal expansion and electrical properties of BiCu2VO6. Journal of Solid State Chemistry 178: 2927-2933.
- A. Kovacs, D. Nemcsok, G. Pokol, K. M. Szecsenyi, V. M. Leovac, Z. K. Jacimovic, I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard, Z. D. Tomic & G. Giester (2005). Structural, spectroscopic and computational studies of the HgL2Cl2 complex (L=3,5-dimethyl-1-thiocarboxamide pyrazole) and the crystal structure of L. New Journal of Chemistry 29(6): 833-840.
- I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard & A. W. Sleight (2005). Synthesis and crystal structure of BiCd2AsO6. Solid State Sciences 7(3): 299-302.
- I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard & J. S. O. Evans (2005). The crystal structure of α-La2Mo2O9 and the structural origin of the oxide ion migration pathway. Chemistry of Materials 17(16): 4074-4077.
- Rubin-Preminger, JM, Bernstein, J, Harris, RK, Evans, IR & Ghi, PY (2004). [R,S]-Ethambutol dihydrochloride: Variable-temperature studies of a dimorphic system with very similar packing. JOURNAL OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES 93(11): 2810-2819.
- Money, VA, Elhaik, J, Evans, IR, Halcrow, MA & Howard, JAK (2004). A study of the thermal and light induced spin transition in [FeL2](BF4)(2) and [FeL2](ClO4)(2) L=2,6-di(3-methylpyrazol-1-yl)pyrazine. DALTON TRANSACTIONS (1): 65-69.
- V. A. Money, I. R. Evans, J. Elhaik, M. A. Halcrow & J. A. K. Howard (2004). An X-ray powder diffraction study of the spin-crossover transition and structure of bis (2,6-dipyrazol-1-ylpyrazine)iron(II) perchlorate. Acta Crystallographica Section B-Structural Science 60: 41-45.
- J. S. O. Evans & I. R. Evans (2004). Beyond classical applications of powder diffraction. Chemical Society Reviews 33(8): 539-547.
- I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard, K. Savikin-Fodulovic & N. Menkovic (2004). Isogentisin (1,3-dihydroxy-7-methoxyxanthone). Acta Crystallographica Section E-Structure Reports Online 60: O1557-O1559.
- S. E. Lister, I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard, A. Coelho & J. S. O. Evans (2004). Mo2P4O15 - the most complex oxide structure solved by single crystal methods?. Chemical Communications (22): 2540-2541.
- I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard, K. M. Szecsenyi, V. M. Leovac & Z. K. Jacimovic (2004). Synthesis, characterization and crystal structure of a novel Ni(II) complex, Ni(L-H)(2) (L=3,5-dimethyl-1-thiocarboxamidopyrazole). Journal of Coordination Chemistry 57(6): 469-476.
- Turner, DR, Smith, B, Goeta, AE, Evans, IR, Tocher, DA, Howard, JAK & Steed, JW (2004). The R(1)(2)(6) hydrogen-bonded synthon in neutral urea and metal-bound halide systems. CRYSTENGCOMM 6: 633-641.
- I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard, L. E. M. Howard, J. S. O. Evans, Z. K. Jacimovic, V. S. Jevtovic & V. M. Leovac (2004). Transition metal complexes with pyrazole based ligands, part 18: new binuclear Cu(I), Cu(II) and Co(II) complexes with 3,5-dimethyl-l-thiocarboxamide pyrazole: synthesis, structural and magnetic studies. Inorganica Chimica Acta 357(15): 4528-4536.
- Jacimovic, ZK, Leovac, V, Szecsenyi, KM, Howard, JAK & Evans, IR (2004). Transition metal complexes with pyrazole-based ligands. XIX. Diaquabis(3,5-dimethyl-1H-pyrazole-1-carboxamidine-kappa N-2,N `)metal(II) dinitrate, with metal = Co and Ni. ACTA CRYSTALLOGRAPHICA SECTION C-CRYSTAL STRUCTURE COMMUNICATIONS 60(10): M467-M470.
- J. M. Rubin-Preminger, J. Bernstein, R. K. Harris, I. R. Evans & P. Y. Ghi (2004). Variable temperature studies of a polymorphic system comprising two pairs of enantiotropically related forms: S,S -ethambutol dihydrochloride. Crystal Growth and Design 4(3): 431-439.
- I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard & J. S. O. Evans (2003). α-Bi2Sn2O7- a 176 atom crystal structure from powder diffraction data. Journal of Materials Chemistry 13(9): 2098-2103.
- Money, VA, Evans, IR, Halcrow, MA, Goeta, AE & Howard, JAK (2003). Light induced excited high spin-state trapping in [FeL2](BF4)(2) (L=2,6-di(pyrazol-1-yl)pyridine). CHEMICAL COMMUNICATIONS (1): 158-159.
- Elhaik, J, Money, VA, Barrett, SA, Kilner, CA, Evans, IR & Halcrow, MA (2003). The spin-states and spin-crossover behaviour of iron(II) complexes of 2,6-dipyrazol-1-ylpyrazine derivatives. DALTON TRANSACTIONS (10): 2053-2060.
- I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard, T. Sreckovic & M. M. Ristic (2003). Variable temperature in situ X-ray diffraction study of mechanically activated synthesis of calcium titanate, CaTiO3. Materials Research Bulletin 38(7): 1203-1213.
- V. S. S. Kumar, A. Addlagatta, A. Nangia, W. T. Robinson, C. K. Broder, R. Mondal, I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard & F. H. Allen (2002). 4,4-diphenyl-2,5-cyclohexadienone: Four polymorphs and nineteen crystallographically independent molecular conformations. Angewandte Chemie-International Edition 41(20): 3848-3851.
- I. R. Evans & J. A. K. Howard (2002). Lithium potassium tungstate monohydrate, LiKWO4 center dot H2O. Acta Crystallographica Section E-Structure Reports Online 58: i26-I28.
- I. R. Evans, S. Tao, J. T. S. Irvine & J. A. K. Howard (2002). Synthesis, crystal structure, and oxide ion conductivity in Bi4.6Ca1.1VO10.5. Chemistry of Materials 14(9): 3700-3704.
- I. R. Evans, J. S. O. Evans & J. A. K. Howard (2002). Variable temperature structural study of bismuth lead vanadate, BiPb2VO6. Journal of Materials Chemistry 12(9): 2648-2652.
- I. R. Evans, J. A. K. Howard & R. L. WithersJ. S. O. Evans (2001). Ab initio structure determination of BiPb2VO6 from powder diffraction data. Chemical Communications (19): 1984-1985.
- Radosavljevic, I, Howard, JAK, Sleight, AW & Evans, JSO (2000). Synthesis and structure of Bi3Ca9V11O41. JOURNAL OF MATERIALS CHEMISTRY 10(9): 2091-2095.
- Radosavljevic, I, Howard, JAK & Sleight, AW (2000). Synthesis and structure of two new bismuth cadmium vanadates, BiCdVO5 and BiCd2VO6, and structures of BiCa2AsO6 and BiMg2PO6. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF INORGANIC MATERIALS 2(6): 543-550.
- Radosavljevic, I & Sleight, AW (2000). Variable temperature X-ray diffraction study of bismuth magnesium vanadate, BiMg2VO6. JOURNAL OF SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY 149(1): 143-148.
- Radosavljevic, I, Evans, JSO & Sleight, AW (1999). Synthesis and structure of bismuth copper arsenate, BiCu2AsO6. JOURNAL OF ALLOYS AND COMPOUNDS 284(1-2): 99-103.
- Radosavljevic, I, Evans, JSO & Sleight, AW (1998). Synthesis and structure of BiCa2VO6. JOURNAL OF SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY 137(1): 143-147.
- Radosavljevic, I, Evans, JSO & Sleight, AW (1998). Synthesis and structure of bismuth copper vanadate, BiCu2VO6. JOURNAL OF SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY 141(1): 149-154.
- Radosavljevic, I, Evans, JSO & Sleight, AW (1998). Synthesis and structure of pyrochlore-type bismuth titanate. JOURNAL OF SOLID STATE CHEMISTRY 136(1): 63-66.