The list below shows Durham University research staff who are members of IMEMS. Click the member's name to see a more detailed biography and department.
We also welcome anyone from outside the University with an interest in our work to join. Membership is free of charge. You will receive invitations to our programme of events, with a weekly emails digest about what is happening in the Insitute and further afield. To join IMEMS contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Clemence Schultze
Clemence Schultze is mainly interested in Roman republican history, Greek and Roman clothing, ancient historiography, and the reception of antiquity in later literature and art. She has written papers on Dionysius of Halicarnassus, sections of whose work she is currently engaged in translating and annotating, on the elder Pliny, and on the influence of Greek myth on the Victorian novelist Charlotte M. Yonge.
- Dionysius of Halicarnassus
- Roman republican history and historians
- Pliny the Elder
- Classical reception C19 Britain & France
Chapter in book
- Schultze, C. E. (2007). 'People like us’ in the face of history: Cormon’s Les Vainqueurs de Salamine. In Cultural responses to the Persian Wars. Bridges, E., Hall, E. & Rhodes, P. J. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 355-379.
- Schultze, C. E. (2007). Charlotte Yonge and the Classics. In Characters and Scenes: Studies in Charlotte M. Yonge. Courtney, J. & Schultze, C. E. Abingdon: Beechcroft Books / Charlotte M. Yonge Fellowship. 159-188.
- Schultze, Clemence (2007). Dionysius of Halicarnassus: Clothing Cincinnatus. In Blackwell Companion to Greek and Roman Historiography. Marincola, J. Oxford: Blackwell. 404-410.
- Schultze, C. E. (2007). Making a Spectacle of Oneself: Pliny on Curio’s Theatre. In Vita Vigilia Est. Bispham, E. & Rowe, G. London: Institute of Classical Studies. BICS Supplement 100: 127-145.
- Schultze, C. E. (2004). Dionysius of Halicarnassus: Greek origins and Roman games (AR 7.70-73). In Games and festivals in classical antiquity. Bell, S. & Davies, G. M. Oxford: Archaeopress. BAR International Series 1220: 93-105.
- Schultze CE (2000). Authority, originality and competence in the Roman Archaeology of Dionysius of Halicarnassus. Histos 4.
- Schultze CE (1999). Manliness and the myth of Hercules in Charlotte M.Yonge's My Young Alcides. International Journal of the Classical Tradition 5: 383-414.
- Schultze CE (1995). Dionysius of Halicarnassus and Roman Chronology. Proceedings of the Cambridge Philological Society 41: 192-214.
- 2005: HEA Teaching Development Grant £1575