Events and Outreach
Scientific Study of Manuscripts and Inscriptions (SSoMI) Summer School
Generously supported by the Zeno Karl Schindler (ZKS) Foundation
Applications are closed for 2019.
This 5-day course will comprise four days of tailored sessions, culminating in a workshop where experts will present the findings of a 360 degree manuscript study. During the course, students will gain an understanding of:
- the various stages and practicalities involved in the making of medieval manuscript books;
- the scientific analysis of manuscripts and what this can reveal;
- image processing and pattern recognition topics;
- the labour-intensive processes of parchment-making and binding;
- the circumstances that have led to damage and destruction of books, and what can be done to understand surviving fragments.
Fees and Funding
The full course fee is £550. Day one may be taken as a free-standing, one-day course in codicology and is priced at £150. The fee covers lunches, refreshments and at least one course dinner; accommodation is not included.
Your data is collected in accordance with the Summer Schools privacy notice.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this event.