Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies (IMEMS)
IMEMS MISSION STATEMENT
IMEMS is one of the largest and most diverse concentrations of medieval and early modern studies in the world. A versatile ensemble of academics, curators, students, practitioners, and volunteers, we cover a comprehensive range of areas from Late Antiquity to the late eighteenth century, with a global range from the Silk Road to the Anglo-Saxon and Viking North. We promote the global standing of Durham University’s research, and its museums and collections, by initiating, co-ordinating and supporting networks, programmes and projects, and lectures and workshops for both specialists and the wider public. As the academic hub for Durham’s UNESCO World Heritage Site, we champion a framework for rigorous research, impact, and dissemination, in order to strengthen the global understanding and appreciation of one of Europe’s great Palatinates. Durham is a site of Outstanding Universal Value: by studying its past, we engage with the present and map strategies for its future.
- IMEMSPowerPoint_Template28.02.2018.ppt (last modified: 28 February 2018)
Scientific Study of Manuscripts and Inscriptions (SSoMI) Summer School
Generously supported by the Zeno Karl Schindler (ZKS) Foundation
Applications are closed for 2019.
This 5-day course will comprise four days of tailored sessions, culminating in a workshop where experts will present the findings of a 360 degree manuscript study. During the course, students will gain an understanding of:
- the various stages and practicalities involved in the making of medieval manuscript books;
- the scientific analysis of manuscripts and what this can reveal;
- image processing and pattern recognition topics;
- the labour-intensive processes of parchment-making and binding;
- the circumstances that have led to damage and destruction of books, and what can be done to understand surviving fragments.
Fees and Funding
The full course fee is £550. Day one may be taken as a free-standing, one-day course in codicology and is priced at £150. The fee covers lunches, refreshments and at least one course dinner; accommodation is not included.
Your data is collected in accordance with the Summer Schools privacy notice.
Contact email@example.com for more information about this event.