Dr Philip Garnett, BSc. MSc. PhD.
I work as a post-doctoral research assistant on the Tipping Points Project based in the IHRR here at Durham Univeristy. My area of work, with my colleagues in Work Package 4, is mainly focused on how something becomes popular in a social system. What makes something become universal, popular or trendy? This is often difficult to understand and predict, particularly if there is seemingly little difference between many of the choices available to society.
Active research areas include; modelling synchronised human behaviour, biological and ecological systems, and language evolution.
My background is in the modelling and simulation of biological systems. I started my academic carrier as a geneticist and quickly realised that it was the modelling aspects of this field that I was most interested in. For example, the modelling of drift and selection in populations. I then went on to study computer science and eventually did a PhD in Computational Biology at the University of York UK. Over time my interest in modelling social systems also developed, and it is this interest that lead me to the Tipping Points project.
- Acerbi, A., Lampos, V., Garnett, P. & Bentley, R.A. The Expression of Emotions in 20th Century Books. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e59030.
- Bentley, R. A., Garnett, P., O'Brien, M.J. & Brock, W.A. Word Diffusion and Climate Science. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47966.
- Garnett, P., Steinacher, A., Stepney, S., Clayton, R. & Leyser, O. Computer simulation: the imaginary friend of auxin transport biology. BioEssays. 2010;32:828-835.
- Garnett, P. Bursting a Bubble: Abstract Banking Demographics to Understand Tipping Points?. Milan: 6th Complex Systems Modelling and Simulation Workshop (CoSMoS 2013); 2013.
- Garnett, P. Going Around Again: Modelling Standing Ovations with a Flexible Agent-based Simulation Framework. Orleans, France: Complex Systems Modelling and Simulation Workshop; 2012.
- Droop, A., Garnett, P., Polack, F.A.C. & Stepney, S. Multiple model simulation: modelling cell division and differentiation in the prostate. Paris, France: 2011 Workshop on Complex Systems Modelling and Simulation; 2011.
- Polack, F.A.C., Droop, A., Garnett, P., Ghetiu, T. & Stepney, S. Simulation validation: exploring the suitability of a simulation of cell division and differentiation in the prostate. Paris, France: 2011 Workshop on Complex Systems Modelling and Simulation; 2011.
- Garnett, P., Stepney, S., Day, F. & Leyser, O. Using the CoSMoS Process to Enhance an Executable Model of Auxin Transport Canalisation. CoSMoS 2010; 2010.
- Garnett, P., Stepney, S. & Leyser, O. Towards an Executable Model of Auxin Transport Canalisation. York, England: CoSMoS 2008; 2008.
- Garnett, P., Stepney, S. & Leyser, O. Integrative Hybrid Modelling of Plant Shoot Branching. 5th International Workshop on Functional Structural Plant Models: FSPM07, New Zealand; 2007.