Since its foundation, IBRU has been committed to organising international conferences which bring together scholars and practitioners to explore intellectual and practical questions relating to international boundaries and territorial dispute resolution.
Previous conference themes have included:
- The State of Sovereignty (Durham, 2009)
- Land and River Boundary Demarcation and Maintenance in Support of Borderland Development (Bangkok, 2006)
- Border Management in an Insecure World (Durham, 2006)
- Borders, Orders and Identities in the Muslim World (Durham, 2000)
- Permeable Boundaries and Borders in a Globalising World (Vancouver, 1999)
- Borderlands Under Stress (Durham, 1998)
- Boundaries and Energy: Problems and Prospects (Durham, 1996)
- International Boundaries and Environmental Security (Singapore, 1995)
- The Peaceful Management of Transboundary Resources (Durham, 1994)
- Boundary and Territorial Issues in the Mediterranean Basin (Malta, 1992)
- International Boundaries: Fresh Perspectives (Durham, 1991)
- International Boundaries and Boundary Conflict Resolution, Durham, 1989
IBRU is happy to publicise boundary-related conferences organised by other other academic institutions. Please contact Liz Buxton if you would like details of your conference listed on the external conferences page.