We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Hatfield SCR

College Dining

Unfortunately due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic our usual calendar of dining events in College has had to be suspended. Once the situation changes we will update our SCR members.

Formal Dinners

During the Michaelmas Term "formal" dinners are usually held twice per week (Tuesdays and Fridays) and once per week in the Epiphany and Easter Terms. The days and dates are listed in College Dining Calendar. Dress will smart attire, and gowns (if applicable). Members gather in the SCR Common Room at 6.30pm for pre-dinner drinks, ready to process into the Dining Hall at 7.00pm. Wine is served at dinner and is optional for members; it is charged by the glass. On Fridays dinner in Hall is followed by cheese and dessert taken either in the SCR dining room or in the Birley Room if numbers are large. Guests are very welcome. Bookings (using the online booking system) can be made up to two days in advance.

SCR Dinners

These are held once or twice per term in the SCR Dining Room, and a special meal is served. Each member is normally allowed up to bring one guest. Numbers are limited and it is recommended that bookings are made well in advance in order to avoid disappointment.


During term-time lunch is available from 11.45am - 2.00pm, Monday to Friday, in the main College Dining Hall. Bookings must be made before 10.00am on the day. Guests may be signed in.


Charges for meals taken, including wine on High Table, plus any events attended are added to the SCR online booking system. Members are requested to make payments as soon as charges appear on the online system. Payments can be made over the telephone by contacting the College Finance Officer (T: 0191 334 2608) or by calling into the College Finance Office in Rectory Building, Hatfield College.

Please book for meals via the on-line booking system or, if this is not possible, through the College Receptionist: