Aims and Purposes
The Senior Common Room at Hatfield College exists to promote:
- The work of the College as a flourishing community of scholars; and
- Links between the College, its three common rooms and the wider community.
To this end, the Senior Common Room seeks to support:
- Research and scholarly activity;
- The wellbeing of all three common rooms of the College;
- Visiting and honorary fellows at the College;
- Links with a range of University institutions, departments and the wider community;
- Social and recreational activities that help promote and strengthen the foregoing.
The following are examples of the endeavours of the SCR:
- Participating in or promoting the research and scholarly activity of the College;
- Providing a programme of lectures and seminars by members of the Senior Common Room and visiting fellows;
- Payment of a choir scholarship for the College Chapel;
- Mentoring support for all the College's students;
- Participation in joint events with the Junior and Middle Common Rooms;
- Providing social and recreational activities of a cultural nature for members of the Senior Common Room (e.g. a visit to the Lindisfarne Gospels' Exhibition, a theatre visit to Newcastle, intepreted walks in areas of landscape or natural beauty interest).
- All members of staff at the University are welcome to apply for membership of the Senior Common Room;
- College Mentors are ex officio members of the Senior Common Room;
- Members of the local community are particularly welcome to apply for membership.