Research Events at Hatfield
Details of research events at Hatfield College will be posted here.
The Hatfield Lecture 2019-20 - James Close
We are delighted that James Close will be delivering the Hatfield Lecture on Climate Change - the challenge of our time: from policy to personal action
James Close is the Head of the Circular Economy Programme for London. He has a background in sustainability and climate change and has worked extensively across public and private sectors in London, UK and internationally. Prior to joining LWARB, James was the Director for Climate Change at the World Bank in Washington, DC. He has also been a partner at EY and the head of the Corporate and Private Finance team at HM Treasury. In 2010, he was the author of the Mayor of London’s Prospectus for London as a Low Carbon Capital. He is the Chair of the Advisory Board of the Blockchain and Climate Institute. James is also a Hatfield alumnus.
- Climate change is the challenge of our time. We know what the causes of climate change are and what we need to do.
- But collective efforts are a long way behind where they need to be.
- The right response is a combination of outrage and optimism.
Join a discussion with James Close, the head of the Circular Economy programme for London and the former director for Climate Change for the World Bank, to find out what find out what you can do personally and what we can do collectively?
- Identify major areas of your personal carbon footprint – transport, food, fashion.
- Think about lifestyle shifts – shift to circular economy principles – reduce, reuse, repair, recycle.
- Using your voice and influence – divestment (already done for Durham University), political engagement and voting, choosing your job.
Together we can make the difference for a more resilient, circular and “net zero” planet.
The lecture is free and is open to all Durham University staff and students. Please register online to book your place : https://www.dur.ac.uk/conference.booking/details/?id=1471
Contact email@example.com for more information about this event.