We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Hatfield College


Accommodation for Full-Time Postgraduates

Hatfield College provides postgraduate accommodation for postgraduates who want to live in self-catered College accommodation at James Barber House.

To be eligible for accommodation at Hatfield, you must have been accepted as a full-time student, and fulfilled the academic conditions of your offer to study at Durham prior to arrival.

Part-time and distance learning students are not elegible for College accommodation. However, if you are visiting Durham as part of your degree programme during the summer months (July to September), please do contact the College Receptionist to enquire if a period of accommodation is available for booking on a bed & breakfast basis.

New students will be asked to provide proof of qualifications that confirm they have fulfilled any academic conditions attached to their offer of study, prior to taking up their residence.

James Barber House is our postgraduate accommodation block, located behind St. Oswald's Church on Rear Anchorage Terrace. The building has 45 single study-bedrooms, showers, bathrooms, a common room, kitchen, dining room and a laundry. James Barber House has gardens to the side and front of the house and a private internal courtyard accessible only from the inside of the building.

Information on residence charges can be found here.

Please note that under the terms of the Residence Licence Agreeement, a resident student who signs an agreement then leaves part way through the period of occupation, is liable for an early termination of contract fee (40% of the remaining period of occupancy).

Please be aware that accommodation in all Durham colleges is very popular; Hatfield has a limited number of places and these can be booked early on in the admissions cycle. The University can only guarantee finding accommodation for students who have firmly accepted (and met the conditions of) their offer and pay the accommodation deposit by the specified date. The amount of deposit and date by which it must be paid will be notified when you are offered residential membership of Hatfield College.

If you have been accepted for membership of Hatfield College, you will receive information about applying for accommodation at Hatfield College by email using the email address given on your University application form.

Living Out

There is a range of privately rented accommodation available in the local area.  If you require advice on finding your own accommodation, please contact the University Accommodation Office  for a list of properties with approved landlords.

Postgraduate students who live out, whether full-time or part-time students, are members of the Middle Common Room and may participate in all aspects of College life.