The importance of a sense of belonging is at the heart of the famous Hatfield spirit. Once a Hatfielder, always a Hatfielder. Year on year our graduates go out in the wider world enriched by the Hatfield spirit to join the network of Hatfield alumni. Our alumni are an important part of the College community and, through the work of the Hatfield Association and the Hatfield Trust, they continue to make an active contribution to College life.
Since 1846 when it was founded, Hatfield College has produced a large number of alumni who have embodied the College motto "Vel primus vel cum primis" in their achievements:
- Will Carling, former England rugby union Captain;
- Will Greenwood, former England rugby union player;
- Tony Laithwaite, the man behind the world's largest wine mail order company, encompassing Bordeaux Direct and The Sunday Times Wine Club;
- David Shukman, Environmental & Science correspondent for the BBC;
- Tim Smit of the Eden Project and the Lost Gardens of Heligan;
- Andrew Strauss, Ashes-winning England cricket captain;
- Jeremy Vine, broadcaster;
- Katherine Ford, the first Scot and youngest British woman to officially complete the 3000 mile Race Across America.