Hatfield College actively promotes and adheres to the University's policies and procedures relating to the Environment and strives to constantly lower its Carbon Footprint.
Hatfield College has been awarded 'Gold' status in the Green Tourism Business Scheme. In order to achieve this grading the College was audited on 10 categories including energy, water, waste and travel and transport. The auditor commented on the 'robust management systems in place for monitoring resource use with the aim of minimising waste and inefficiencies and for promoting environmental awareness and good practice'.
Hatfield College is committed to supporting the University's mission to reduce its environmental impact and improve the local environment. To this end we have developed our own Environment Policy
Hatfield College Enviroment Policy
Hatfield College promotes a sustainable community for staff and students. This community lives and works within the setting of an historic city, adjacent to a World Heritage Site. The College is committed to maintaining and, where possible, improving the quality of its environment, both for the people who are part of the Hatfield community and for visitors. This commitment is reflected in policies and procedures which seek to make the most effective and efficient use of all resources, minimize pollution, comply with relevant legislation and encourage all members of Hatfield College to develop a sustainable approach to their work and lifestyle.
We are committed to:
- Establishing key performance indicators and targets for sustainability that will enable monitoring, reporting and continuous improvement;
- Promoting environmental awareness through training for the whole community;
- Following the principles of ‘Reduce, Reuse, Recycle’;
- Purchasing, where practicable, locally sourced and ethically produced goods;
- Encouraging all members and visitors to Hatfield College to use a low-carbon mode of transport;
- Caring for the physical environment of the College, ensuring a litter-free environment and encouraging biodiversity;
- Complying with all relevant environmental legislation.
All members of the Hatfield College community are committed to this environmental policy and will work hard to ensure it is fully implemented. This policy will be reviewed annually.
No more plastic bags in Hatfield!
There is no excuse. For just £1 (price subsidised by the Hatfield Trust), be the proud owner of a reusable Hatfield cotton bag. Available from the Porters' Lodge.
Hatfield College Environment Champions
Hatfield College has its own Environmental Champions who:
- consults and advises the college community on all aspects of the day-to-day living and working practices within College which is felt could be modified to the greater benefit of the environment.
- promotes a culture which inculcates awareness within staff and students of good practice with regard to conservation, sustainability, recycling and promoting an environmentally-friendly lifestyle for all.