College Optional Charges
Please use the links on this page to pay the charges for: Middle Common Room (MCR) membership, our postgraduate student body; for overseas students purchase of a Linen Pack; and for the College Alumni Association. Further details can be found in your Welcome Email.
Student Common Room Charge - MCR membership
The Middle Common Room Levy (membership fee) is £55 per year, and upon joining you'll be a member of a community of around 100 postgraduates in the College, and able to fully partipate in its wider academic and social life. The MCR is run by students for students, and whilst membership is optional we strongly encourage all students to join to make the most of their time at Durham. The levy goes towards subsidising the running of the MCR and its activities. Not opting into the charge means that you will not be entitled to take part in these activities or will be subject to an additional charge per event where non-members are invited. Additionally, members of the MCR also benefit from automatic membership of the undergraduate Common Room, the JCR, who run many other sports and socities. Membership of both Common Rooms allows members to:
- Join practices, performances (or equivalent) and meetings of college societies and sports clubs, including the right to stand for office of the society/club. Non-members can only participate if they pay a yearly joining fee for each club/society they wish to be in;
- Vote at Common Room meetings, and stand for elected office;
- Represent the MCR on college committees and through taking on unelected roles supporting and organising MCR activity;
- Priority booking time and payment of preferential members’ rates to events organised by the Common Rooms (including Balls, Formal Dinners);
- Access to use of MCR and JCR equipment (musical instruments, sports, tech);
- Preferential rate on membership of the College gym.
Linen Pack: Students arriving from Overseas and the Islands, who are resident in the College can order and pay for a Linen Pack including duvet and cover, pillow and pillow case, and sheet.
If a student decides they no-longer wish to participate in the student life of Grey College (MCR membership), a refund can be applied for up until the end of the induction period (Monday 7th October). Students who join the MCR after this point, having experienced college life, will not be able to apply for a refund. Refunds for the bedding pack are possible up until arrival in College Friday 27th September. For any queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to pay the membership fee and thus join the MCR, please go to www.durham.ac.uk/conference.booking/details/?id=1316
Grey College Association Charge
The College Association helps the work of the College with our wider family of Alumni members who are based throughout the world. More information is available in the Welcome Handbook and to opt-in to membership, please make payment using this page.