Publication detailsHunter, D.J. (2015). Health Policy and Management: in praise of political science Comment on “On Health Policy and Management (HPAM): mind the theory-policy-practice gap”. International Journal of Health Policy and Management 4(6): 391-394.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2322-5939
- DOI: 10.15171/ijhpm.2015.62
- Keywords: Health policy, Health management, Political science, Leadership.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Health systems have entered a third era embracing whole systems thinking and posing complex policy and management challenges. Understanding how such systems work and agreeing what needs to be put in place to enable them to undergo effective and sustainable change are more pressing issues than ever for policy-makers. The theory-policy-practice-gap and its four dimensions, as articulated by Chinitz and Rodwin, is acknowledged. It is suggested that insights derived from political science can both enrich our understanding of the gap and suggest what changes are needed to tackle the complex challenges facing health systems.