Dr George Cooper
My research focuses on crystal specific studies (in particular, in-situ microanalytical approaches) in order to determine the pre-eruptive state of volcanic plumbing systems and the timing of magmatic processes. This includes the use of in-situ major and trace elements to determine magmatic storage conditions and establishing the timescales involved through U-Pb dating of zircons and diffusion modeling.
I have worked on the products of supereruptions in New Zealand to determine the magmatic processes which lead to such large scale silicic eruptions. I have also investigated processes in the deeper magmatic plumbing systems beneath the islands of the Lesser Antilles Volcanic Arc through the study of erupted plutonic xenoliths/cumulates.
My research is currently focussed on volatile recycling at the Lesser Antilles Arc. In particular, using trapped aliquots of magma (melt inclusions) to determine the sources and pathways of fluids.
2006-2009: Masters of Geology (MGeol), University of Leeds, UK.
2009-2013: PhD in volcanology, Victoria University of Wellington, NZ. Thesis title: Insights into the dynamics of supervolcanoes from crystal specific studies: case studies from Mangakino volcano, New Zealand.
Department of Earth Sciences
- Crystal specific studies
- Laser ablation
- Zhang, J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Cooper, G., Davidson, J.P. & Macpherson, C.G. (2017). Magma mush chemistry at subduction zones, revealed by new melt major element inversion from calcic amphiboles. American Mineralogist 102(6): 1353-1367.
- Cooper, George F., Morgan, Daniel J. & Wilson, Colin J.N. (2017). Rapid assembly and rejuvenation of a large silicic magmatic system: Insights from mineral diffusive profiles in the Kidnappers and Rocky Hill deposits, New Zealand. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 473: 1-13.
- Cooper, George F., Wilson, Colin J. N., Millet, Marc-Alban & Baker, Joel A. (2016). Generation and Rejuvenation of a Supervolcanic Magmatic System: a Case Study from Mangakino Volcanic Centre, New Zealand. Journal of Petrology 57(6): 1135-1170.
- Cooper, G. F., Davidson, J. P. & Blundy, J.D. (2016). Plutonic xenoliths from Martinique, Lesser Antilles: evidence for open system processes and reactive melt flow in island arc crust. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 171(10): 87.
- Cooper, G. F. & Wilson, C. J. N. (2014). Development, mobilisation and eruption of a large crystal-rich rhyolite: The Ongatiti ignimbrite, New Zealand. Lithos 198-199: 38.
- Cooper, G. F., Wilson, C. J. N., Charlier, B. L. A., Wooden, J. L. & Ireland, T. R. (2014). Temporal evolution and compositional signatures of two supervolcanic systems recorded in zircons from Mangakino volcanic centre, New Zealand. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 167(6).
- Cooper, G. F., Wilson, C. J. N., Millet, M-A., Baker, J. A. & Smith, E. G. C. (2012). Systematic tapping of independent magma chambers during the 1 Ma Kidnappers supereruption. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 313-314: 23.