Prof Jeroen van Hunen, MSc Geophysics, PhD
(email at email@example.com)
PhD opportunity 'The Heat Beneath Our Feet'
I am looking for PhD applications from students that are interested in the development of sustainable, low-carbon energy resources through the development of numerical models on mine geothermal energy extraction. This project, 'The Heat Beneath Our Feet', is competitively funded through the GeoNetZero CDT. The application deadline is Thursday 9th April 2020 by 17:00 (GMT). For more information, please see a full project description here, and for more information on the CDT and how to apply, please see here.
Career Research Interests
My research involves the application of fluid dynamics applied to the Earth on a variety of length and time scales:
- Starting at Earth's earliest history, I am interested in the evolution and dynamics of plate tectonics through time, which led to an ERC starting grant 2012-2017 on 'Modelling the Archaean Subduction Environment' (MASE).
- Related to this is the growth and destruction of cratonic lithosphere, which I have worked for a number of years now.
- I have also worked extensively on subduction dynamics, from shallow flat subduction (my PhD work back in the '90s) to continental collision and slab break-off.
- Another research interest is on the interaction between mantle and lithosphere, which results in small-scale convection, edge-driven convection, and intraplate volcanism.
- On a smaller scale, I am interested in sustainable, renewable, or clean energy solutions. Work on this includes Carbon Capture and Storage, and, since recently, modelling of geothermal heat extracted from abandoned, flooded mines, something we have plenty of here in the Northeast of England.
2017 – present — Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University
- Subduction dynamics
- Dynamics of the early Earth
- Sub-lithospheric small-scale convection
- Plumes and intraplate volcanism
- Interaction between solid Earth and exosphere
- Geothermal energy
- Carbon Capture and Storage
Possible mode of Archaean subduction (after van Hunen and van den Berg, 2008):
Committee and Society Service
Recent and Current Grants
- 2016 — 'NNESMO', NERC Advanced Training grant on numerical modelling, £32k
- 2015 — 'Subitop', as participant of an EU Horizon2020 ITN, PI: GFZ, Potsdam, Germany, €3.9M; Durham component: €273k.
- 2015 — 'NNESMO', NERC Advanced Training grant on numerical modelling, £30k
- 2014 — 'The Feedback Between Volatiles and Mantle Dynamics', NERC, £341k
- 2014 — 'NNESMO', NERC Advanced Training grant on numerical modelling, £34k
- 2012 — ‘What drives and resists plate sinking through the transition zone’, NERC, ~£366,000, with co-I Dr. Goes (Imperial College London).
- 2011 — ‘Modelling the Archean Subduction Environment (MASE)’, ERC Starting Grant, €1.5M
- 2010 — ‘TOPOMOD’, as participant of an EU FP7 International Training Network, PI: Univ. Roma Tre, Rome, Italy, €3.8M; Durham component: ~€473k.
- 2010: — ‘The dynamics of continental collision and slab break-off’, Charles Waites PhD studentship, 3yrs,
- 2010 — Orogenic Plateau Magmatism – NERC Standard Grant. NE/H021620/1 - Co-I.
- 2009 — ‘Timescales, mechanisms and/or numerical tools for CO2 dissolution in brine’, ONE North East and GRL, UK, 3 yrs FTE PhD project of Francesca Watson.
- 2008 — ‘Multigrid Improvements’, NERC/EPSRC/NAG Ltd. UK, 12 months, Distributed Computational Science and Engineering (dCSE) support for software development.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2002: Invited seminar at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Leeds:
- 2003: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, Caltech, USA:
- 2004: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Prague, Czech Republic: Sepetember 2004
- 2005: Convenor of Special session at EGU. 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects':
- 2005: Invited speaker at the EGU April 2005:
- 2006: Convenor of Special session at EGU. 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects':
- 2007: Co-organiser of the 'Tenth International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle Convection and Lithospheric Dynamics.' September 2007:
- 2007: Convenor of EGU special session: 'Geodynamics and Geochemistry of the Early Earth':
- 2007: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Leeds:
- 2007: Keynote speaker at 'Archaen Oceans' workshop, April 2007:
- 2011: University of Liverpool, May, 2011:
Earth Structure and Dynamics(30 hours/year.)
- 4th-yr Fieldtrip (120 hours/year.)
- Fieldwork Geophysics (40 hours/year.)
- Modelling Earth Processes (45 hours/year.)
Chapter in book
- van Hunen, Jeroen (2019). Onset and Evolution of Plate Tectonics: Geodynamical Constraints. In Reference Module in Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences. Elsevier.
- Hertgen, Solenn, Yamato, Philippe, Guillaume, Benjamin, Magni, Valentina, Schliffke, Nicholas & van Hunen, Jeroen (2020). Influence of the thickness of the overriding plate on convergence zone dynamics. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 21(2): e2019GC008678.
- Briaud, Arthur, Agrusta, Roberto, Faccenna, Claudio, Funiciello, Francesca & Hunen, Jeroen (2020). Topographic fingerprint of deep mantle subduction. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 125(1): e2019JB017962.
- Farangitakis, G.P., Sokoutis, D., McCaffrey, K.J.W., Willingshofer, E., Kalnins, L.M., Phethean, J.J.J., van Hunen, J. & van Steen, V. (2019). Analogue modeling of plate rotation effects in transform margins and rift-transform intersections. Tectonics 38(3): 823-841.
- Heron, P.J., Pysklywec, R.N., Stephenson, R. & van Hunen, J. (2019). Deformation driven by deep and distant structures: Influence of a mantle lithosphere suture in the Ouachita orogeny, southeastern United States. Geology 47(2): 147-150.
- Riel, Nicolas, Bouilhol, Pierre, van Hunen, Jeroen, Cornet, Julien, Magni, Valentina, Grigorova, Vili & Velic, Marco (2019). Interaction between mantle-derived magma and lower arc crust: quantitative reactive melt flow modeling using STyx. Geological Society Special Publication 478: 65-87.
- Harmon, Nicholas, Rychert, Catherine, Collier, Jenny, Henstock, Tim, van Hunen, Jeroen & Wilkinson, Jamie J (2019). Mapping geologic features onto subducted slabs. Geophysical Journal International 219(2): 725-733.
- Maunder, B., van Hunen, J., Bouilhol, P. & Magni, V. (2019). Modeling Slab Temperature: a Reevaluation of the Thermal Parameter. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20(2): 673-687.
- Goes, Saskia, Collier, Jenny, Blundy, Jon, Davidson, Jon, Harmon, Nick, Henstock, Tim, Kendall, J., Macpherson, Colin, Rietbrock, Andreas, Rychert, Kate, Prytulak, Julie, van Hunen, Jeroen, Wilkinson, Jamie & Wilson, Marjorie (2019). Project VoiLA: Volatile Recycling in the Lesser Antilles. Eos 100.
- Heron, PJ, Peace, AL McCaffrey, K , Welford, JK Wilson, R, van Hunen, J & Pysklywec, RN (2019). Segmentation of rifts through structural inheritance: Creation of the Davis Strait. Tectonics 38(7): 2411-2430.
- Allen, R.W., Collier, J.S., Stewart, A.G., Henstock, T., Goes, S., Rietbrock, A. & Voila Team (2019). The role of arc migration in the development of the Lesser Antilles: A new tectonic model for the Cenozoic evolution of the eastern Caribbean. Geology 47(9): 891.
- Schliffke, Nicholas, Hunen, Jeroen, Magni, Valentina & Allen, Mark B. (2019). The Role of Crustal Buoyancy in the Generation and Emplacement of Magmatism During Continental Collision. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20(11): 4693-4709.