Mr Miles Wilson, MSc (Distinction), BSc (Hons.)
2017 - Present: Research Assistant and Consultant, Geoenergy Durham Ltd.
2016 - Present: PhD Geological Sciences
2015 - 2016: Reseach Assistant for Professor Gillian Foulger and ReFINE
2014 - 2015: MSc (Distinction) Petroleum Geoscience, Heriot-Watt University
2014: Research Assistant, ReFINE
2011 - 2014: BSc (Hons.) Geophysics with Geology, Durham University
Durham Doctoral Studentship 2016
From the bottom to the top: Identifying natural geological linkages from deep formations to the surface
Using a combination of numerical modelling (Model Muse and MODFLOW), seismic interpretation (Petrel), statistical analysis and environmental fieldwork, the potential contamination of shallow groundwater resources by deeply injected hydraulic fracturing (fracking) fluids is assesed. The research is focussed on UK data and scenarios, but has clear implications for worldwide shale gas resources. Both the Environment Agency and ReFINE (Researching Fracking) Consortium support this project.
The Human-Induced Earthquake Database (HiQuake)
The Human-Induced Earthquake Database (HiQuake) is the largest and most up-to-date database of earthquake sequences scientifically proposed to have been induced or triggered by human activity. This project began in February 2016 and is funded by Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij BV.
Scholarships, Grants and Awards
2018 - James E. Hooks Memorial Grant from the AAPG Grants-in-Aid Foundation.
2018 - Short-listed for the 2018 Durham University Early Career Impact Award.
2018 - St Aidan’s College Russell Smith Conference Award.
2018 - Runner-up for the BP sponsored Research in Progress Presentations, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University, UK.
2017 - AWE Student Conference Grant for British Seismology Meeting.
2017 - Santander Mobility Grant for Latin America Travel.
2017 - St Aidan’s College Russell Smith Conference Award.
2016 - Durham Doctoral Studentship.
2015 - David G Roberts Student Excellence Award, 8th Petroleum Geology of Northwest Europe Conference, London, UK.
2015 - The Petroleum Geoscience Best Student Prize, Heriot-Watt University, UK.
2014 - The Chevron UK Award for petroleum related work in geophysics, Durham University, UK.
2014 - UK runner-up for the BP Ultimate Field Trip competition.
Is supervised by
- Wilson, M. P., Worrall, F., Davies, R. J. & Hart, A. (2019). Identifying groundwater compartmentalisation for hydraulic fracturing risk assessments. Environmental Science: Processes & Impacts 21(2): 352-369.
- Wilson, M. P., Worrall, F., Davies, R. J. & Almond, S. (2018). Fracking: How far from faults?. Geomechanics and Geophysics for Geo-Energy and Geo-Resources 4(2): 193-199.
- Foulger, Gillian R., Wilson, Miles, Gluyas, Jon, Julian, Bruce R. & Davies, Richard (2018). Global review of human-induced earthquakes. Earth-Science Reviews 178: 438-514.
- Li, Ang, Davies, Richard J., Mathias, Simon, Yang, Jinxiu, Hobbs, Richard & Wilson, Miles (2017). Gas venting that bypasses the feather edge of marine hydrate, offshore Mauritania. Marine and Petroleum Geology 88: 402-409.
- Wilson, M. P., Foulger, G. R., Gluyas, J. G., Davies, R. J. & Julian, B. R. (2017). HiQuake: The Human-Induced Earthquake Database. Seismological Research Letters 88(6): 1560-1565.
- Wilson, M. P., Worrall, F., Davies, R. J. & Hart, A. (2017). Shallow Aquifer Vulnerability From Subsurface Fluid Injection at a Proposed Shale Gas Hydraulic Fracturing Site. Water Resources Research 53(1): 9922-9940.
- Wilson, M. P., Davies, R. J., Foulger, G. R., Julian, B. R., Styles, P. & Gluyas, J. G. (2015). Anthropogenic earthquakes in the UK: A national baseline prior to shale exploitation. Marine and Petroleum Geology 68(Part A): 1-17.