Professor Simon Mathias
(email at email@example.com)
2019 – to date — Professor of Environmental Engineering, Durham University.
2017 – 2019 — Professor of Computational Geoscience, Durham University.
2017 – to date — Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy.
2011 – 2017 — Reader in Computational Geoscience, Durham University.
2009 – 2011 — Lecturer in Geoscience, Durham University.
2007 – 2009 — WorleyParsons Lecturer of Environmental Engineering, Imperial College London.
2003 – 2007 — Research Fellow, Imperial College London.
2001 – 2005 — PhD in Civil Engineering, Imperial College London.
2000 – 2003 — Civil Engineer, Royal Haskoning.
1999 – 2000 — MSc in Water Resources Technology and Management, University of Birmingham.
1995 – 1999 — MEng in Civil Engineering, University College London
Associate Editor for Transport in Porous Media
Associate Editor for Journal of Hydrology
- Climate and Environmental Change
- Geoenergy, Resources and Waste
- The Solid Earth
GEOL1081: Further Mathematics in Geosciences(30 hours/year.)
GEOL3281: Environmental Management(92 hours/year.)
- GEOL2171: Hydrology and Climate (30 hours/year.)
- Mathias, Simon, Dentz, Marco & Liu, Qingquan (2020). Gas diffusion in coal powders is a multi-rate process. Transport in Porous Media 131: 1037-1051.
- Jayeoba, Ayodeji, Mathias, Simon A., Nielsen, Stefan, Vilarrasa, Victor & Bjørnarå, Tore I. (2019). Closed-form equation for subsidence due to fluid production from a cylindrical confined aquifer. Journal of Hydrology 573: 964-969.
- Mathias, Simon A., Nielsen, Stefan & Ward, Rebecca L. (2019). Storage Coefficients and Permeability Functions for Coal-Bed Methane Production Under Uniaxial Strain Conditions. Transport in Porous Media 130(2): 627-636.
- Kelly, Helena L. & Mathias, Simon A. (2018). Capillary processes increase salt precipitation during CO2 injection in saline formations. Journal of fluid mechanics 852: 398-421.
- Hardwick, J.S. & Mathias, S.A. (2018). Masuda's sandstone core hydrate dissociation experiment revisited. Chemical Engineering Science 175: 98-109.
- Mathias, Simon A., Sorensen, James P.R. & Butler, Adrian P. (2017). Soil moisture data as a constraint for groundwater recharge estimation. Journal of Hydrology 552: 258-266.
- Mathias, S.A., McIntyre, N. & Oughton, R.H. (2016). A study of non-linearity in rainfall-runoff response using 120 UK catchments. Journal of Hydrology 540: 423-436.
- Mathias, S.A., Skaggs, T.H., Quinn, S.A., Egan, N.C., Finch, L.E. & Oldham, C.D. (2015). A soil moisture accounting-procedure with a Richards' equation-based soil texture-dependent parameterization. Water Resources Research 51(1): 506-523.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., Goldthorpe, W.H. & Mackay, E.J. (2015). Impact of maximum allowable cost on CO2 storage capacity in saline formations. Environmental Science and Technology 49(22): 13510–13518.
- Mathias, S.A., McElwaine, J.N. & Gluyas, J.G. (2014). Heat transport and pressure buildup during carbon dioxide injection into depleted gas reservoirs. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 756: 89-109.
- Mathias, S.A. & Roberts, A.W. (2013). A Lambert W function solution for estimating sustainable injection rates for storage of CO2 in brine aquifers. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 17: 546-548.