Prof Simon Mathias
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
2017 – to date — Professor of Computational Geoscience, Durham University.
2017 – to date — Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy.
2011 – 2017 — Reader in Computational Geoscience, Durham University.
2009 – 2011 — Lecturer in Geoscience, Durham University.
2007 – 2009 — WorleyParsons Lecturer of Environmental Engineering, Imperial College London.
2003 – 2007 — Research Fellow, Imperial College London.
2001 – 2005 — PhD in Hydrology, Imperial College London.
2000 – 2003 — Civil Engineer, Royal Haskoning.
1999 – 2000 — MSc in Water Resources Technology and Management, University of Birmingham.
1995 – 1999 — MEng in Civil Engineering, University College London
Associate Editor for Transport in Porous Media
Associate Editor for Hydrogeology Journal
- Climate and Environmental Change
- Geoenergy, Resources and Waste
- The Solid Earth
GEOL1051: Field Studies(56 hours/year.)
GEOL1081: Further Mathematics in Geosciences(30 hours/year.)
GEOL2171: Water and Climate(30 hours/year.)
GEOL3281: Environmental Management(92 hours/year.)
- GEOL3291: Hydrogeology and Geomechanics (18 hours/year.)
- Miss Catherine Hodson
- Mr Ayodeji Jayeoba
- Mr Jack Hardwick
- Miss Helena Kelly
- Mr Anselm Koehler
- Mr Simon Guerin-marthe
- Hardwick, J.S. & Mathias, S.A. (2018). Masuda's sandstone core hydrate dissociation experiment revisited. Chemical Engineering Science 175: 98-109.
- Mathias, S.A., Greenwell, H.C., Withers, C., Erdogan, A., McElwaine, J. & MacMinn, C. (2017). Analytical solution for clay plug swelling experiments. Applied Clay Science 149: 75-78.
- Li, Ang, Davies, Richard J., Mathias, Simon, Yang, Jinxiu, Hobbs, Richard & Wilson, Miles (2017). Gas venting that bypasses the feather edge of marine hydrate, offshore Mauritania. Marine and Petroleum Geology 88: 402-409.
- Mathias, Simon A., Sorensen, James P.R. & Butler, Adrian P. (2017). Soil moisture data as a constraint for groundwater recharge estimation. Journal of Hydrology 552: 258-266.
- Mathias, S.A., McIntyre, N. & Oughton, R.H. (2016). A study of non-linearity in rainfall-runoff response using 120 UK catchments. Journal of Hydrology 540: 423-436.
- Goudarzi, S., Mathias, S.A. & Gluyas, J.G. (2016). Simulation of three-component two-phase flow in porous media using method of lines. Transport in Porous Media 112(1): 1-19.
- Mathias, S.A., Skaggs, T.H., Quinn, S.A., Egan, N.C., Finch, L.E. & Oldham, C.D. (2015). A soil moisture accounting-procedure with a Richards' equation-based soil texture-dependent parameterization. Water Resources Research 51(1): 506-523.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., Goldthorpe, W.H. & Mackay, E.J. (2015). Impact of maximum allowable cost on CO2 storage capacity in saline formations. Environmental Science and Technology 49(22): 13510–13518.
- Mathias, S.A., McElwaine, J.N. & Gluyas, J.G. (2014). Heat transport and pressure buildup during carbon dioxide injection into depleted gas reservoirs. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 756: 89-109.
- Mathias, S.A. & Roberts, A.W. (2013). A Lambert W function solution for estimating sustainable injection rates for storage of CO2 in brine aquifers. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 17: 546-548.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., Mackay, E.J. & Goldthorpe, W.H. (2013). A statistical analysis of well production rates from UK oil and gas fields – Implications for carbon capture and storage. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 19: 510-518.
- Mathias, S.A., Gluyas, J.G., González Martínez de Miguel, G.J. & Hosseini, S.A. (2011). Role of partial miscibility on pressure buildup due to constant rate injection of CO2 into closed and open brine aquifers. Water Resources Research 47(12): W12525.
- Mathias, SA, Gluyas, JG, Oldenburg, CM & Tsang, CF (2010). Analytical solution for Joule-Thomson cooling during CO2 geo-sequestration in depleted oil and gas reservoirs. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 4: 806-810.
- Mathias, SA & Todman, LC (2010). Step-drawdown tests and the Forchheimer equation. Water Resources Research 46: W07514.
- Mathias, SA & van Reeuwijk, M (2009). Hydraulic fracture propagation with 3-D leak-off. Transport in Porous Media 80(3): 1573-1634.
- Mathias, SA, Butler, AP & Wheater, HS (2008). Modelling radioiodine transport across a capillary fringe. Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 99(4): 716-729.
- Mathias, SA & Butler, AP (2006). An improvement on Hvorslev's shape factors. Geotechnique 56(10): 705-706.