Prof Jeroen van Hunen, MSc Geophysics, PhD
(email at email@example.com)
2017 – present — Professor, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University
- Subduction dynamics
- Dynamics of the early Earth
- Sub-lithospheric small-scale convection
- Plumes and intraplate volcanism
- Interaction between solid Earth and exosphere
- Carbon Capture and Storage
Possible mode of Archaean subduction (after van Hunen and van den Berg, 2008):
Career Research Highlights
Jeroen van Hunen works on various aspects of the interaction between lithospheric plates and the mantle since the mid 90’s. He is recognized for his work on subduction dynamics, from shallow flat subduction to continental collision and slab break-off. One of his main research interests is the dynamics of plate tectonics in the early Earth, on which he recently got awarded an ERC starting grant: the MASE project. Jeroen published over 50 peer-reviewed articles with >1900 citations, and with an h-index of 24 (April 2016). At the moment he is main supervisor of 4 postdoctoral researchers, 3 postgraduate students, and several undergraduate dissertation students. His total research income on grants where he is the lead PI is ~£2.5M.
Committee and Society Service
Conferences and Workshops
2011, 2012, 2013 — EGU General Assembly: co-convenor of 'Subduction zone dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle'.
Departmental Seminar Speaker Invitation (since 2008)
Membership of Organisations and Societies
Recent and Current Grants
Indicators of Esteem
- 2002: Invited seminar at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Leeds:
- 2003: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, Caltech, USA:
- 2004: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Prague, Czech Republic: Sepetember 2004
- 2005: Convenor of Special session at EGU. 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects':
- 2005: Invited speaker at the EGU April 2005:
- 2006: Convenor of Special session at EGU. 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects':
- 2007: Co-organiser of the 'Tenth International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle Convection and Lithospheric Dynamics.' September 2007:
- 2007: Convenor of EGU special session: 'Geodynamics and Geochemistry of the Early Earth':
- 2007: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Leeds:
- 2007: Keynote speaker at 'Archaen Oceans' workshop, April 2007:
- 2011: University of Liverpool, May, 2011:
Earth Structure and Dynamics(30 hours/year.)
- 4th-yr Fieldtrip (120 hours/year.)
- Modelling Earth Processes (45 hours/year.)
- Principles of Earth Sciences (3 hours/year.)
- Tectonics and Deformation Mechanisms (15 hours/year.)
- Heron, P.J., Pysklywec, R.N., Stephenson, R. & van Hunen, J. (2019). Deformation driven by deep and distant structures: Influence of a mantle lithosphere suture in the Ouachita orogeny, southeastern United States. Geology 47(2): 147-150.
- Riel, Nicolas, Bouilhol, Pierre, van Hunen, Jeroen, Cornet, Julien, Magni, Valentina, Grigorova, Vili & Velic, Marco (2019). Interaction between mantle-derived magma and lower arc crust: quantitative reactive melt flow modeling using STyx. Geological Society Special Publication 478: 65-87.
- Maunder, B., van Hunen, J., Bouilhol, P. & Magni, V. (2019). Modeling Slab Temperature: a Reevaluation of the Thermal Parameter. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 20(2): 673-687.
- Goes, Saskia, Collier, Jenny, Blundy, Jon, Davidson, Jon, Harmon, Nick, Henstock, Tim, Kendall, J., Macpherson, Colin, Rietbrock, Andreas, Rychert, Kate, Prytulak, Julie, van Hunen, Jeroen, Wilkinson, Jamie & Wilson, Marjorie (2019). Project VoiLA: Volatile Recycling in the Lesser Antilles. Eos 100.
- Kaislaniemi, L., van Hunen, J. & Bouilhol, P. (2018). Lithosphere destabilization by melt weakening and crust-mantle interactions-implications for generation of granite-migmatite belts. Tectonics 37(9): 3102-3116.
- Wang, Hongliang, van Hunen, Jeroen & Pearson, D. Graham (2018). Making Archean cratonic roots by lateral compression: A two-stage thickening and stabilization model. Tectonophysics 746: 562-571.
- Agrusta, Roberto, van Hunen, Jeroen & Goes, Saskia (2018). Strong plates enhance mantle mixing in early Earth. Nature Communications 9: 2708.
- Peace, Alexander, McCaffrey, Ken, Imber, Jonathan, van Hunen, Jeroen, Hobbs, Richard & Wilson, Robert (2018). The role of pre-existing structures during rifting, continental breakup and transform system development, offshore West Greenland. Basin Research 30(3): 373-394.
- Clarke, A.L., Imber, J., Davies, R.J., van Hunen, J., Daniels, S.E. & Yielding, G. (2017). Application of material balance methods to CO2 storage capacity estimation within selected depleted gas reservoirs. Petroleum Geoscience 23(3): 339-352.
- Magni, V., Allen, M.B., van Hunen, J. & Bouilhol, P. (2017). Continental underplating after slab break-off. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 474: 59-67.
- Freeburn, Rebecca, Bouilhol, Pierre, Maunder, Ben, Magni, Valentina & van Hunen, Jeroen (2017). Numerical models of the magmatic processes induced by slab breakoff. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 478: 203-213.
- Agrusta, Roberto, Goes, Saskia & van Hunen, Jeroen (2017). Subducting-slab transition-zone interaction: Stagnation, penetration and mode switches. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 464: 10-23.
- Goes, Saskia, Agrusta, Robert, van Hunen, Jeroen & Garel, Fanny (2017). Subduction-transition zone interaction: A review. Geosphere 13(3): 644-664.
- Condie, K.C., Aster, R.C. & van Hunen, J. (2016). A great thermal divergence in the mantle beginning 2.5 Ga: Geochemical constraints from greenstone basalts and komatiites. Geoscience Frontiers 7(4): 543-553.
- Phethean, Jordan J.J., Kalnins, Lara M., van Hunen, Jeroen, Biffi, Paolo G., Davies, Richard J. & McCaffrey, Ken J.W. (2016). Madagascar’s escape from Africa: A high-resolution plate reconstruction for the Western Somali Basin and implications for supercontinent dispersal. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3) 17(12): 5036-5055.
- Maunder, B., van Hunen, J., Magni, M. & Bouilhol, P. (2016). Relamination of mafic subducting crust throughout Earth’s history. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 449: 206-216.
- Bouilhol, P., Magni, V., van Hunen, J. & Kaislaniemi, L. (2015). A numerical approach to melting in warm subduction zones. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 411: 37-44.