Dr Jeroen van Hunen, MSc Geophysics, PhD
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
2013 – present — Reader, Department of Earth Sciences, Durham University
- Subduction dynamics
- Dynamics of the early Earth
- Sub-lithospheric small-scale convection
- Plumes and intraplate volcanism
- Interaction between solid Earth and exosphere
- Carbon Capture and Storage
Possible mode of Archaean subduction (after van Hunen and van den Berg, 2008):
Career Research Highlights
Jeroen van Hunen works on various aspects of the interaction between lithospheric plates and the mantle since the mid 90’s. He is recognized for his work on subduction dynamics, from shallow flat subduction to continental collision and slab break-off. One of his main research interests is the dynamics of plate tectonics in the early Earth, on which he recently got awarded an ERC starting grant: the MASE project. Jeroen published over 50 peer-reviewed articles with >1900 citations, and with an h-index of 24 (April 2016). At the moment he is main supervisor of 4 postdoctoral researchers, 3 postgraduate students, and several undergraduate dissertation students. His total research income on grants where he is the lead PI is ~£2.5M.
Committee and Society Service
Conferences and Workshops
2011, 2012, 2013 — EGU General Assembly: co-convenor of 'Subduction zone dynamics from the surface to the lower mantle'.
Departmental Seminar Speaker Invitation (since 2008)
Membership of Organisations and Societies
Recent and Current Grants
Indicators of Esteem
- 2002: Invited seminar at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Leeds:
- 2003: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, Caltech, USA:
- 2004: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Prague, Czech Republic: Sepetember 2004
- 2005: Convenor of Special session at EGU. 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects':
- 2005: Invited speaker at the EGU April 2005:
- 2006: Convenor of Special session at EGU. 'Mantle Plumes, intraplate magmatism and hotspot-ridge interaction: Geodynamical, Geophysical and Geochemical Aspects':
- 2007: Co-organiser of the 'Tenth International Workshop on Modelling of Mantle Convection and Lithospheric Dynamics.' September 2007:
- 2007: Convenor of EGU special session: 'Geodynamics and Geochemistry of the Early Earth':
- 2007: Invited Speaker at the Department of Earth Sciences, University of Leeds:
- 2007: Keynote speaker at 'Archaen Oceans' workshop, April 2007:
- 2011: University of Liverpool, May, 2011:
- The Solid Earth
- Earth Structure and Dynamics (27 hours/year.)
- Modelling Earth Processes (45 hours/year.)
- Principles of Earth Sciences (3 hours/year.)
- Tectonics and Deformation Mechanisms (15 hours/year.)
- Mr Benjamin Maunder
- Mr Jordan Phethean
- Mr Thomas Snell
- Mr Julien Cornet
- Ms Vili Grigorova
- Mr Georgios-Pavlos Farangitakis
- Mr Nico Schliffke
- Agrusta, Roberto, Goes, Saskia & van Hunen, Jeroen (2017). Subducting-slab transition-zone interaction: Stagnation, penetration and mode switches. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 464: 10-23.
- Goes, Saskia, Agrusta, Robert, van Hunen, Jeroen & Garel, Fanny (2017). Subduction-transition zone interaction: A review. Geosphere 13(3): 644-664.
- Condie, K.C., Aster, R.C. & van Hunen, J. (2016). A great thermal divergence in the mantle beginning 2.5 Ga: Geochemical constraints from greenstone basalts and komatiites. Geoscience Frontiers 7(4): 543-553.
- Phethean, Jordan J.J., Kalnins, Lara M., van Hunen, Jeroen, Biffi, Paolo G., Davies, Richard J. & McCaffrey, Ken J.W. (2016). Madagascar’s escape from Africa: A high-resolution plate reconstruction for the Western Somali Basin and implications for supercontinent dispersal. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3) 17(12): 5036-5055.
- Wang, Hongliang, van Hunen, Jeroen & Pearson, D. Graham (2016). Making Archean cratonic roots by lateral compression: A two-stage thickening and stabilization model. Tectonophysics
- Maunder, B., van Hunen, J., Magni, M. & Bouilhol, P. (2016). Relamination of mafic subducting crust throughout Earth’s history. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 449: 206-216.
- Bouilhol, P., Magni, V., van Hunen, J. & Kaislaniemi, L. (2015). A numerical approach to melting in warm subduction zones. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 411: 37-44.
- Wang, H., Agrusta, R. & van Hunen, J. (2015). Advantages of a conservative velocity interpolation (CVI) scheme for particle-in-cell methods with application in geodynamic modeling. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 16(6): 2015-2023.
- Holt, P.J., Allen, M.B. & van Hunen, J. (2015). Basin formation by thermal subsidence of accretionary orogens. Tectonophysics 639: 132-143.
- van Hunen, J. & Miller, M.S. (2015). Collisional Processes and Links to Episodic Changes in Subduction Zones. Elements 11(2): 119-124.
- Wang, H., van Hunen, J. & Pearson, D.G. (2015). The thinning of subcontinental lithosphere: The roles of plume impact and metasomatic weakening. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3) 16(4): 1156-1171.
- Wang, H.L., van Hunen, J., Pearson, D.G. & Allen, M.B. (2014). Craton stability and longevity: The roles of composition-dependent rheology and buoyancy. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 391: 224-233.
- Magni, V., Bouilhol, P. & van Hunen, J. (2014). Deep water recycling through time. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 15(11): 4203-4216.
- Kaislaniemi, L. & van Hunen, J. (2014). Dynamics of lithospheric thinning and mantle melting by edge-driven convection: Application to Moroccan Atlas mountains. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 15(8): 3175-3189.
- Magni, V., Faccenna, C., van Hunen, J. & Funiciello, F. (2014). How collision triggers backarc extension: Insight into Mediterranean style of extension from 3-D numerical models. Geology 42(6): 511-514.
- Bottrill, A.D., van Hunen, J, Cuthbert, S.J., Brueckner, H.K. & Allen, M.B. (2014). Plate rotation during continental collision and its relationship with the exhumation of UHP metamorphic terranes: Application to the Norwegian Caledonides. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 15(5): 1766-1782.
- Kaislaniemi, L., van Hunen, J., Allen, M. B. & Neill, I. (2014). Sub-lithospheric small-scale convection—a mechanism for collision zone magmatism. Geology 42(4): 291-294.
- Agrusta, R., van Hunen, J. & Goes, S. (2014). The effect of metastable pyroxene on the slab dynamics. Geophysical Research Letters 41(24): 8800-8808.