The Volcanic Health Hazard research at Durham makes extensive use of the Electron Microscopy facility based in the Physics department, the XRD Facilities based in the Department of Chemistry, and analytical facilities based in the Geography department.
The department has elemental facilities for most elements in the periodic table that are of geological and environmental importance.
- Hitachi TM-1000 Tabletop SEM Microscope
- Optical microscopes
- Microscope-mounted high-temperature heating stage Linkam TS1400XY
- Textural Analysis Facility - 2D and 3D visualisation and analysis of rock textures, including high resolution texture scanning up to full thin section in PPL/XP, serial grinding rig, image capture microscope and image analysis software.
- Thin section workshop
Volcanological Fluid Dynamics lab
Currently being set up with a range of equipment. More information will follow.
- Extensive suite of seismic processing software
- Part share of HPC cluster 'Hamilton' which has >10,000 processing cores.
- COMSOL Multiphysics Finite Element Modelling software.
- LBFlow Lattice-Boltzmann fluid flow simulation software.