Health and Safety
The Department of Earth Sciences sets a high priority on safety in all its operations, including field and research work away from Durham. Detailed safety guidelines are set down in the Department Safety Handbook. Ultimate responsibility for Departmental Safety resides with the Chair of the Board of Studies (Prof. Andy Aplin).
The Departmental Safety Committee supports the Head of Department in developing and implementing its Health and Safety policy. The committee currently comprises the chairman (Prof. Chris Greenwell), the departmental Operations Director (Mrs. Jill Hoult, committee secretary), the Health and Safety Coordinator (Dr. Chris Ottley), the Radiation Safety Adviser (Dr. Geoff Nowell), the Fieldwork Office (Dr. Nic DePaola), the Department Superintendent (James Dyson) and a postdoctoral representative (currently Dr. Dean Wilson).
The Durham University Health and Safety Policy proscribes that health and safety is the responsibility of everybody in the workplace.
All staff with a managerial or supervisory role are responsible for managing the health and safety of those that they supervise.
All employees (in this case, including students) have a personal responsibility to:
- take reasonable care of their own health and safety and that of others sharing their workspace,
- familiarise themselves with and follow health and safety procedures and instructions,
- not misuse anything provided either to support/ensure health and safety or to mitigate risk,
- report all accidents, incidents and hazards,
- suggest improvements to improve risk management,
- attend training provided under the University Health and Safety Programme.
Health and Safety Handbook
The University requires us to move to having all of our safety documentation in electronic format. As such, the following documents have been updated on DUO and are now ready to read and complete:
- The 2018-2019 Department H&S Handbook. Found under: Health & Safety Information > H&S Information 2018-19 > Departmental Health and Safety Handbook > Department of Earth Sciences Health & Safety Handbook 2018 – 2019. Please read the policy, sign the accompanying declaration form electronically, save it with the appropriate name and send to Mrs Jill Hoult.
- A new editable PDF Personal H&S Record. Found under: Health & Safety Information > H & S Forms > Personal Health & Safety Record 2018-2019. Please complete and return to Dr Chris Ottley.
- A new standardised Display Screen Equipment risk assessment form. Found under: Health & Safety Information > H & S Forms > Display Screen Risk Assessment Form 2018-2019. Please complete and return to Mr James Dyson.
All new starters and visitors should complete the new forms from today onwards.
Existing staff and students will have until the 1st January 2019 to complete the forms.
After this date, all access cards will be checked against completed forms and the out of hours access and Level 1 access will be removed for anyone who has not completed the new forms.