Department of Earth Sciences
Upcoming Department Seminars and Events:
There are currently no events to be displayed.
Decision to reject Lancashire fracking plan a sign of public uncertainty, expert says
The decision by Lancashire County Council not to allow test drilling for fracking indicates that there is public uncertainty about onshore exploration and especially shale gas, a Durham University expert says.
Durham Earth Sciences Professor of Unconventional Petroleum speaks to the BBC about fracking in the UK
As Lancashire County Council decides whether or not to allow test drilling for fracking to extract shale gas at two sites in the county, Professor Andy Aplin discusses the risks of Fracking in the UK with BBC Business Live.
View the interview here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b05zz9yj/bbc-business-live-24062015 between 1:47 minutes and 5:45 minutes.
Earth Sciences Professor welcomed by Lower Sixth Students
Prof. Chris Greenwell and PhD student Izabela Walczak highlighted the opportunities and career choices available to those interested in studying Earth Sciences at Sedbergh School:
(15 Jun 2015)
Geothermal Prospecting in the Northeast
Dr Charlotte Adams speaks to the BBC about the potential to heat thousands of homes across the North East by tapping into deep sources of hot water along the Butterknowle Fault.
(10 Jun 2015)
- The undergraduate pre-application open day booking system is now open for Saturday 26th September:
Tweeted 39 minutes ago
- https://t.co/VlaFoOIPmd 2/2
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- PhD OPPORTUNITY-FULLY FUNDED! UK/EU. Research in to seismic wave propagation in extrusive basalts. For info please visit our web page 1/2
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations to all our graduating students today! We wish you all the best for the future!
Tweeted on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:49:26 +0100
- Prof. Andy Aplin on the vote today on Cuadrilla's bid to drill for shale gas in Lancashire http://t.co/FE3qaiN5yr
Tweeted on Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:48:39 +0100
Durham DH1 3LE
Tel: +44 0191 3342300
Fax: +44 0191 3342301
E-mail: earth.sciences @durham.ac.uk