Department of Computer Science
REF 2021 Results
We are proud to say that Computer Science has shown a significant increase in quality in all areas of research since the last research assessment exercise, moving 6 places up the ranking to the 20th position for REF 2021. Congratulations to all our colleagues for their hard work! Our excellence is shown by the results:
- 97% of our research outputs are world-leading or internationally excellent (REF 2021)
- 100% of our impact case studies are world-leading or internationally excellent (REF 2021)
- 100% of our environment world-leading or internationally excellent (REF 2021)
The Department of Computer Science submitted 27 members of staff, comprising 26.2 Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) staff, to the REF Computer Science and Informatics Unit of Assessment (UoA). The submission included five Early Career Researchers.
Innovative sensing technology enhances driverless car perception
Our Computer Science research is helping to put driverless cars on the road to reality.
Research and Impact
We are a rapidly growing department with around 50 staff. This has increased from around 30 staff at the end of 2020 and our intention is to have around 60 staff by 2027. We have a new building and a vibrant research environment. Our research spans both the theory and practice of Computer Science, has strong interactions with a range of leading industrial companies, and forms part of cross-disciplinary activities and projects with collaborators within the University and around the world. We also have an active portfolio of impact activities and Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) as well as a thriving postgraduate research community.
Our Vision for Impact
Our aim is to have impact creation embedded within all aspects of our research, to promote a strong impact culture, have a diverse portfolio of impact activities and to have many staff involved in impact creation.
Our strategies are:
- promote a strong impact culture and develop and enable impact appreciation and awareness across the Department
- provide leadership and co-ordination for the Department's external engagement and impact activities and strategically manage the development, dissemination, support and sustainability of departmental impact
- encourage and enhance the development of cross-disciplinary links with other academic disciplines, knowledge transfer and public engagement so as to build pathways to impact.
Computer Science REF Impact Case Studies
We submitted three impact case studies including security, surveillance and automotive technologies.
Click below to read more about our case studies
Real-time Scene Understanding for On-Vehicle Automotive Sensing
Advanced Algorithm Development for use in X-ray and Computed Tomography Security Scanners used for Transport and Border Security
Object Detection, Classification, Localisation and Tracking for Automated Wide-Area Surveillance
Our research groups build on our strengths and include emerging areas such as Artificial Intelligence and Digital Humanities, Algorithms and Complexity, Artificial Intelligence and Human Systems, Network Engineering, Science and Theory, Scientific Computing, and Vision, Imaging and Visualization.
Like to Know More?
Staff in Computer Science actively engage with a range of Durham's multi-disciplinary research institutes including:
- Institute for Data Science
- Biophysical Sciences Institute
- Durham Energy Institute
- Institute for Computational Cosmology
- Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies
- Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
Institute for Data ScienceIDAS – the Institute for Data Science - is Durham University’s multidisciplinary platform for new ideas in Data Science, cutting across the silos of subject-specific knowledge and aiming to transform our view of the world surrounding us – nature, society, and culture.
Durham University Women in TechWe are working hard to make Durham the number one destination for women Computer Science undergraduates and have recently formed DUWiT (Durham University Women in Tech), a group that holds events and brings in inspiring external speakers.