Durham European Law Institute
Welcome to the website of the Durham European Law Institute (DELI).
The purpose of DELI is to act as a forum for the discussion of cutting edge European law issues and a channel through which Durham scholars can keep the wider academic and professional communities up to date with the most recent legal developments in the EU.
The research of DELI members spans a wide variety of European law topics, ranging from European constitutional law through the law of the Internal Market to EU external relations and fundamental rights law, with specialisations including work in the EU competition, tax and public health spheres.
DELI organises a range of activities and projects for the benefit of its members and all those with an interest in European law, including public lectures and seminars, reading groups and the DELI Blog. We are also active on various social media platforms.
The Institute is always looking to further broaden its horizons by welcoming new researchers covering different aspects of this vibrant and diverse legal field. If you would like to become a member, or would simply like more information on the activities of the institute, please get in touch with our Directors and feel free to browse this site. We look forward to hearing from you.
DELI Lunchtime Seminar: 'Brexit and Implications for Financial Services'
The Durham European Law Institute hosted the second lunchtime seminar of the year on 30 November 2016. This seminar, entitled "Brexit and Implications for Financial Services" was delivered by Professor Niamh Moloney (London School of Economics & Political Science).
(6 Dec 2016)
DELI Luncthime Seminar: 'Who Decides What? The Effect of International Courts’ Rulings in EU law'
The Durham European Law Institute hosted the first lunchtime seminar of the academic year 2016/17 on 25 November 2016. This seminar, entitled "Who Decides What? The Effect of International Courts’ Rulings in EU law" was delivered by Dr Andrés Delgado Casteleiro (Max Planck Institute Luxembourg).
(25 Nov 2016)
Brexit Lecture Series
The Durham Law School is organising a series of lectures on various aspects of the decision of the British people to leave the European Union, to take place on Thursdays 1:00-2:00PM in the Hogan Lovells Lecture Theatre.
The first lecture entitled 'Unpacking Brexit - Introduction' will be delivered by DELI Director and series convenor Professor Eleanor Spaventa on 27 October.
Attendance is free and open to all.
A detailed schedule of the lecture series can be found here .
(13 Oct 2016)
DELI Student Representatives 2016-17
We are pleased to announce that DELI is recruiting student representatives for the academic year 2016-17. To apply please send a CV and brief outline of why you would like to become a student representative to law.deli[at]durham.ac.uk by 6:00PM Wednesday, 26 October 2016.
We welcome applications from all students but first year undergraduate, postgraduate, and ERASMUS students will be given priority.
(13 Oct 2016)
Call for Papers: DELI/LGJD Insta-Symposium on Brexit
Durham European Law Institute and Law and Global Justice Durham invite contributions examining all aspects of the recent decision by the British people to leave the European Union.
Competition Law Seminar: 'Article 102 TFEU Pricing Abuse After Intel and Post Danmark II in an Object and Effects Frameworks'
On 9 May 2016 Mr Christian Ahlborn (Partner, Linklaters LLP London) delivered a Competition Law seminar entitled 'Article 102 TFEU Pricing Abuse After Intel and Post Danmark II in an Object and Effects Frameworks'.
The presentation used during this seminar can be found here.
(17 May 2016)
DELI Annual Lecture 2015-16: 'Mutual trust and the Area of Freedom Security and Justice'
This year's Annual Lecture was delivered by Judge Sacha Prechal (Court of Justice of the EU) on 29 April. This lecture was entitled 'Mutual trust and the Area of Freedom Security and Justice'.
(17 May 2016)
DELI Seminar: 'General Principles of Law and Audit Practice of EU Funds'
On 28 April 2016 Professor Alex Brenninkmeijer (Member, Court of Auditors of the EU) delivered the seminar entitled 'General Principles of Law and Audit Practice of EU Funds'.
(17 May 2016)
DELI Lunchtime Seminar: 'What can the UK reform/renegotiation package really hope to achieve?'
The Durham European Law Institute hosted its first seminar of this year's Lunchtime Seminar Series on the UK's membership of the EU on 17th November. The seminar entitled 'What can the UK reform/renegotiation package really hope to achieve?' was delivered by Professor Derrick Wyatt QC and you can find a summary of the paper on the DELI Blog here.
(23 Nov 2015)
DELI/HRC Refugee Crisis Roundtable
The Durham European Law Institute hosted its first Joint Roundtable of the year in conjunction with the Human Rights Center on 20th October 2015. The topic under discussion was the Refugee Crisis. The speakers featured at the event included Professor Thom Brooks, Dr Alan Greene and Mrs Eszter Harsanyi-Belteki.
(4 Nov 2015) » More about DELI/HRC Refugee Crisis Roundtable
Competition Law Seminar: 'A Case Study on Merger Control and Procedure'
In collaboration with the Durham European Law Insitute, Dr. Anca Chirita hosted the third Competition Law Seminar of the year on 15 March 2016. The seminar entitled 'A Case Study on Merger Control and Procedure' was delivered by Mr. Simon Priddis (Partner, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer LLP London).
(17 Mar 2016)
LLB/LLM Dissertation Conference & Workshop 2015-16
On 14 March 2016 the Durham European Law Institute hosted a conference and workshop for those third year LLB and LLM students who are engaged in research related to EU law as part of their dissertations to present their findings so far.
(17 Mar 2016)
Seminar PP slides: 'When Tomorrow is Yesterday: the Manufacturing of an EU Referendum'
You may now find the PP slides for Professor Dora Kostakopoulou's seminar 'When Tomorrow is Yesterday: the Manufacturing of an EU Referendum' here.
(1 Mar 2016)
LLB/LLM Student Debate: the UK's Membership of the EU
As part of the event series on the UK's Membership of the EU the Durham European Law Institute hosted a Student Debate on 24 February 2016. The participants were Akiva Gardner, Thomas Roberts, Thomas Yeon, Enguerrand Marique, William Moody, Victoria Tsavena, Rachel Davies and Samantha Cheung.
1. Is the ever closer union only a question of competences?
2. Are fundamental freedoms really fundamental?
(26 Feb 2016)
DELI Lunchtime Seminar: 'When Tomorrow is Yesterday: the Manufacturing of an EU Referendum'
The Durham European Law Institute hosted the third lunchtime seminar in the event series on the UK's Membership of the EU on 23 February 2016. This seminar, entitled 'When Tomorrow is Yesterday: the Manufacturing of an EU Referendum' was delivered by Professor Dora Kostakopoulou (University of Warwick).
(25 Feb 2016)
Competition Law Seminars 2015/16
In collaboration with the Durham European Law Insitute, Dr. Anca Chirita hosted the second Competition Law Seminar of the year on 16 February 2016. The seminar entitled 'Aspects of Recent Article 101 TFEU Enforcement Action by the European Commission' was delivered by Mr. Greg Olsen (Partner, Clifford Chance LLP London).
(20 Feb 2016)
DELI Lunchtime Seminar: 'The UK negotiation process: Implications for the free movement of persons'
The Durham European Law Institute hosted its second seminar of this year's Lunchtime Seminar Series on the UK's membership of the EU on 4th February. The seminar entitled 'The UK negotiation process: Implications for the free movement of persons' was delivered by Professor Niamh Nic Shuibhne (University of Edinburgh).
(8 Feb 2016)
DELI LLB Dissertation Workshop
The Durham European Law Institute hosted its annual LLB Dissertation Workshop for third year LLB students, who are conducting research in an area of EU law as part of their dissertation on 4th December 2015. This workshop offered an opportunity for these students to share their research with their colleagues in a supportive environment, where they also received constructive feedback from the audience.
(7 Dec 2015)
Thursday 2 February 2017
- Brexit Lecture Series: 'The impact of Brexit on fundamental rights – the UK perspective' 1:00pm to 2:00pm, PCL048, Professor Gavin Phillipson
Thursday 9 February 2017
- DELI Lunchtime Seminar: 'Brexit, Asylum Policy and the Fallacy of "Taking Back Control" ' 1:00pm to 2:00pm, PCL048, Dr Violeta Moreno-Lax
Wednesday 15 February 2017
- Brexit Lecture Series: 'Brexit: a historic-political perspective' 1:00pm to 2:00pm, PCL048, Dr Martin Farr
Friday 24 February 2017
- Competition Law Seminar: 'Anti-Trust Damages in EU Law: On the Interplay between Harmonisation and National Autonomy' 12:00pm to 1:00pm, Hogan Lovells Lecture Theatre (PCL048), Dr Albertina Albors-Llorens (Reader in EU Law, University of Cambridge)
Thursday 2 March 2017
- Brexit Lecture Series: 'The Shape of UK Competition Law post Brexit: an Inquiry into the History and Evolution of British Competition Laws and Institutions' 1:00pm to 2:00pm, PCL048, Dr Anca Chirita
Wednesday 8 March 2017
- DELI Annual Lecture 11:00am to 12:00pm, Venue TBC, Professor Marise Cremona (EUI)
Thursday 9 March 2017
- Brexit Lecture Series: 'Brexit – an economic perspective' 1:00pm to 2:00pm, PCL048, Dr Sara Maioli, tbc
Thursday 16 March 2017
- Brexit Lecture Series: 'The People have spoken – but who asked them in the first place?' 1:00pm to 2:00pm, PCL048, Dr Alan Greene
The official Twitter account of the Durham European Law Institute (DELI), discussing current issues and developments in #Europeanlaw
- RT @DurhamLawSchool: 19 Jan 1 pm PCL 048 @DELI_Durham @MattCNic 'Take Back Control': Sovereignty, Brexit & Implications for the Int Lega…
Tweeted Tue, 17 Jan 2017 19:59:41 +0000
- RT @DurhamLawSchool: @DELI_Durham Brexit Lecture Series featured in the Northern Echo @SpaventaEleanor https://t.co/hwJs1HW79J
Tweeted Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:13:32 +0000
- RT @DurhamLawSchool: Read the transcript of the oral evidence by Prof @SpaventaEleanor @DELI_Durham to the @ScotParl @SP_European at https:…
Tweeted Tue, 20 Dec 2016 18:29:51 +0000
- RT @DurhamLawSchool: Interested in a PhD in law @DurhamLawSchool? Please check our updated funding opportunities! https://t.co/Cmq4X6OFqS
Tweeted Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:09:47 +0000
- RT @DurhamLawSchool: Excellent insights on EU citizenship with @SpaventaEleanor @CSBarnard24 @GroningenLaw @SP_European at https://t.co/Fur…
Tweeted Mon, 19 Dec 2016 16:09:47 +0000
- RT @DurhamLawSchool: Professor @SpaventaEleanor @DELI_Durham has been mentioned in @newsundayherald https://t.co/3fdsAGXUiV
Tweeted Fri, 16 Dec 2016 14:29:24 +0000
- RT @DurhamLawSchool: Many thanks to Dr Mike Adcock for the insightful presentation on the impact of Brexit on IP law @DELI_Durham https://t…
Tweeted Fri, 16 Dec 2016 14:29:20 +0000