We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Covid-19 Response

Student support

Landscape image of River Wear and Framwellgate Bridge

The information provided through the links below is intended to offer helpful referrals and useful resources for students.

Many of us unfortunately fall ill with seasonal colds and even flu, even into the early spring. It is a good idea to have a small personal supply of cold and flu remedies stored ready. Within the current COVID restrictions, essential shops will be open over the Easter break, but they may have reduced hours on the public holidays over the Easter Weekend (Friday 2 – Monday 5 April).

If you need to consult a doctor about feeling unwell, you should check with your own doctor (GP) to find out what their contact hours are. These may be slightly different out of term-time, and again will be different over the Easter Weekend. Most students choose to register with the Claypath and University Medical Practice. If your GP is closed, they will usually provide details to an out-of-hours emergency GP that can be reached in an urgent situation.

If your situation isn’t an emergency, but you would like to speak with a medical professional quickly and seek advice, you can call NHS 111 which is a non-emergency NHS support line.

In the UK, with a medical emergency, you should always contact 999 and request an ambulance or go to the Accident & Emergency Department of the nearest hospital. For Durham, that is University Hospital North Durham which is located near Aykley Heads.

You can visit our Student Support and Wellbeing pages for further information on the support network available to you at Durham.

Colleges will remain open and available for residents throughout the vacation. Student support, administrative and enrichment staff will remain contactable via telephone and email throughout the vacation during office hours with the exception of Easter Weekend, which takes place from Thursday 1 – Tuesday 6 April. During Easter weekend, a College Porter/RSA will remain available within your College. College Student Support Office contact details are available here. Contact details for College Porters can be found here.

An overview of how to access support services and other university facilities can also be found in this FAQ.

The Counselling Service signposts to a range of services if you find yourself in crisis out of hours or during a period when the University is closed. You can find contact details for emergency services, The Samaritans and the NHS Mental Health Crisis Team, who are all available to provide assistance. Please see their contact details here.

You can also find support agencies available to provide support and advice in relation to the Covid-19 pandemic and associated feelings of loneliness and depression that many people are currently experiencing. These can be found here.

The University Counselling Service signposts to a range of self-help resources focusing on different topics, that can be accessed here and that may be useful to you.

Please be advised that due to the current restrictions relating to Covid-19, the Student Conduct Office staff are unable to offer in-person meetings until further notice. All meetings are being held via Microsoft Teams. If you have any questions or require specific information please contact us via

Following an incident of sexual misconduct and violence - which can take many forms, including but not limited to rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, image-based sexual abuse, stalking, and domestic abuse - you have options. Students and staff may choose to disclose the incident to a member of staff to seek support. This is not the same as making a formal report to the University for the purposes of initiating the procedures within the Sexual Misconduct and Violence Policy. You have the choice of what to do next and can choose to 1) make a report to the Police, 2) make a report to the University, or 3) seek support only. As a student you can request to speak to an advisor through our online Report + Support tool about your options. You may choose to speak to your College Student Support Staff who can discuss your reporting options with you so that you can make an informed decision of what you wish to do.

You can log an anonymous report, request to speak to an advisor, or make a formal report using our online Report + Support platform here:

The chaplains provide pastoral, spiritual and religious support to students of all faiths and beliefs, and none


If you’d like to be contacted via phone, please provide a contact number.

See also

In an emergency, you should always contact 999 and ask for the ambulance, police or fire service, depending on your circumstances. If you live in college, please also contact the reception during office hours, or the RSA / Porter on duty outside these times if you can, as they will be able to assist in directing the relevant services to you if they need to attend site. We strongly recommend that you save the numbers for your college reception and RSA / Porter in your phone and then you always have it available should you need it. Contact details for College Porters can be found here, and full contact details for colleges can be found here.

Outside of office hours, you can also speak with the RSA / Porter on duty in your college if you have an emergency student support issue and they will be able to offer support and advice. Where appropriate, they can also contact an on-call University Officer. Your wellbeing is our primary concern; we operate an on-call emergency rota throughout the year for any student support emergencies that may arise out of hours or during closed periods, and this continues 365 days of the year on a 24/7 basis. The RSA / Porter on duty will make the decision as to whether the on-call officer should be contacted and / or whether emergency services should also be alerted.

In the event of a major emergency, i.e., a situation requiring the involvement of multiple University departments or senior University Executive members, the on-call officer will make the decision to escalate the call through Durham University’s Major Incident Response Plan (MIRP).