Interdisciplinary Experiments on Self-Generated Thought
Wandering Minds is an experimental project, led by researchers at Durham, Cardiff and York Universities, and the Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences, Leipzig. Mind wandering - having only recently become an object of major study in psychology and neuroscience - is today positioned as key to understanding many aspects of human cognition and psychological wellbeing. However, researchers are still puzzling over how best to concretely define mind-wandering and related phenomena (e.g. daydreaming, self-generated thought, fantasy, or spontaneous cognition). Such clarification is critical to developing neuroimaging paradigms to investigate these states.
At the same time, scholars in the humanities and qualitative social sciences have produced rich elaborations on the phenomenology of mind-wandering, and have developed methods for analysing the content of thought. However, there are strikingly few instances of collaboration – between the qualitative, theoretical and interpretive social sciences, on the one hand, and the neurosciences, on the other.
In this project we want to put these things together: to experimentally entangle neuropsychological data, fMRI data, and rich qualitative data, in order to design an innovative, interdisciplinary mind-wandering paradigm. By analysing this interdisciplinary procedure itself: using auto-ethnographic and historical methods, we specify what is involved in concretely experimentalizing humanistic and social scientific knowledge in an interdisciplinary neuroscientific setting.
Funded by the Volkswagen Foundation, this project contributes towards research aimed to further the development of the second generation of the “European Platform of Life Sciences, Mind Sciences, and the Humanities” as a source for new ideas, approaches and interactions at the crossroads of the life sciences, mind sciences and the humanities.
Department of Geography
South Road, Durham
DH1 3LE, UK
Tel: 0191 3341800
Fax:0191 33 41801
Wandering Minds: Interdisciplinary Experiments on Self-Generated Thought (funded by @VolkswagenSt)
- "Inter/Experiments": new publication by @Des_Fitzgerald in a special issue of @JLitScience on "Defining ScienceHuma… https://t.co/aRaHga5ZQJ
Tweeted on Tue, 02 Jan 2018 12:34:48 +0000
- The interpretive social scientists have magicked their long-form interviews into coded data w decent inter-rater reliability #exhausting
Tweeted on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:48:36 +0100
- Sciencing hard in the name interdisciplinary mind-wandering research ???????????? ???? @felicitycallard @MorrisonHazel… https://t.co/IbbYIWYy7W
Tweeted on Fri, 25 Aug 2017 11:37:46 +0100
- https://t.co/08aQzxrWej … - Check out the latest research on the topography of the DMN. https://t.co/6pcWtCGqc5
Tweeted on Mon, 06 Feb 2017 11:10:38 +0000
- Focusing on the task at hand. Still smiling after a tough three days of collaborative writing on mind wandering in-… https://t.co/B93OeZPeGg
Tweeted on Mon, 30 Jan 2017 10:25:31 +0000