Hubbub at The Hub
Hubbub is an international team of scientists, humanists, artists, clinicians, public health experts, broadcasters and public engagement professionals, led by the Centre for Medical Humanities’ Felicity Callard. Hubbub has been exploring the dynamics of rest, noise, tumult, activity and work, as they operate in mental health, neuroscience, the arts and the everyday. We have been based in London as the first residents of The Hub at Wellcome Collection (October 2014 to October 2016).
As our 2-year residency draws to a close, there are a number of exciting outputs highlighting the research we have been able to carry out:
Rest & its discontents: Hubbub's exhibition and accompanying event series, running from 30 September to 30 October at Mile End Art Pavilion.
The Anatomy of Rest: a three-part BBC Radio 4 series presented by Claudia Hammond exploring Hubbub's research into rest. Episode 3 unveils the findings from The Rest Test, an online survey to investigate the public’s resting habits and their attitudes towards relaxation and busyness that was taken by more than 18,000 people from 134 different countries.
The Restless Compendium: our end-of-residency book reflecting on Hubbub research to date.
Our interdisciplinary project was awarded a £1m grant by the Wellcome Trust. The grant-holding institution is Durham University, and the project also draws on the resources of The Max Planck Institute for Human Cognitive and Brain Sciences in Leipzig, and the University of York. The Hub at Wellcome Collection is an exciting new space that will provide resources and a stimulating space for researchers and other creative minds to collaborate on a project that will explore medicine in historical and cultural contexts. The Hub will make a central contribution to the Trust’s vision of improving human and animal health and be a flagship interdisciplinary environment that nurtures this approach.
183 Euston Road
London NW1 2BE
First residents of Hub @ExploreWellcome: interdisciplinary explorations of rest noise tumult activity & work in mental health, neuroscience, arts & the everyday
- Thank you for your close engagement with and cogent reading of our edited book "The Restless Compendium" https://t.co/YGG5eMQ51Y
Tweeted on Tue, 07 Nov 2017 10:03:55 +0000
- RT @hollypesty: Thank you @willowwriting and @ContSmallPress for this ⭐️ review of #commonrest ???????????? https://t.co/8zT1dFoe46
Tweeted on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 11:08:53 +0100
- We are presenting some our research on mind-wandering & daydreaming at UCL tonight https://t.co/uDNptHAUPG
Tweeted on Wed, 28 Jun 2017 18:44:21 +0100
- RT @ALICEACCOUNT: Object Positions Public Lecture 5 @The_Showroom_ RESTING 4 SURVIVAL w niv Acosta & Madison Moore ????@felicitycallard https…
Tweeted on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 09:20:44 +0100
- RT @TheHumLondon: EVENT | 28 JUNE | Explore how MIND + BODY wander #tofindwithoutlooking with @felicitycallard @BartlettArchUCL…
Tweeted on Wed, 21 Jun 2017 09:20:30 +0100