The Centre for Medical Humanities addresses an emerging field of enquiry in which humanities and social sciences perspectives are brought to bear upon an exploration of the human side of medicine. We enjoy funding support from the Wellcome Trust as well as other funders for specific projects. These perspectives have a key role to play in analysing our expectations of medicine, and the relationship between medicine and our broader ideas of health, well-being and flourishing. We have an active community of postgraduates, a University wide network of affiliate academics and a vibrant programme of seminars, public engagement events, and visiting fellows.
Please feel free to download the CMH event card which highlights our upsoming events and projects.
Keep an eye on the Upcoming Events page also for ad hoc events and venue changes.
- Event Card (last modified: 17 July 2014)
News Feed: Medical Humanities Blog
- ‘A question of trust: Medical humanities can help ease the pain’ by Sandra G. Weems (28 Mar 2015)
- ‘Pain: From Chalkie’s demon diary’ by Mike White (28 Mar 2015)
- Patient and Public Involvement in Research: Theory and Practice (Kingston University and St George’s, University of London, Friday 12th June 2015) (27 Mar 2015)
- ‘The Diseases, Health Risks and Phobias of Modern and Fashionable Living: Victorian Perspectives’ (Friday, 8 May 2015, 4.00 – 6.30pm, Newcastle University ) (27 Mar 2015)
- ‘The divided subject of chronic pain: I don’t want pain/am in danger’ a second contribution by Seamus Barker (26 Mar 2015)
Tel: +44 (0)191 33 48277
Fax: +44 (0)191 33 48277
Centre for Medical Humanities at Durham University http://www.dur.ac.uk/cmh Tweets by @literarti @felicitycallard @willviney
- Our #MHpain collection has been updated with two moving contributions: http://t.co/1aGoU0UNm9 #pain @MedHums_BMJ @wellcometrust
Tweeted 19 hours ago
- #MHpain: Reflections of #academia & #arthritis in 'A question of trust: #Medical #humanities can help ease the pain' http://t.co/aXcNbEE0KQ
Tweeted 19 hours ago
- #MHpain: Reflections of #academia & #arthritis in 'A Question of Trust: #Medical #Humanities Can Help Ease the… http://t.co/aXcNbEmpmg
Tweeted 20 hours ago