This is a guide for academics who intend to apply to become a Visiting Scholar at the Centre.
As a Visiting Scholar, you will be entitled to:
- a Durham University email address for the Visiting period
- limited access to certain University computing facilities
- use of the Open Access of the School of MLAC
- an introduction to the University Library to secure borrowing rights
- attend most lectures and workshops/seminars
The Centre assumes that visitors come to Durham to pursue their independent research and therefore does not provide or arrange academic supervision.
We regret to advise that the Centre is unable to assist with accommodation.
An invitation to become an Academic Visitor does not bring any financial remuneration from the University and is given on the understanding that the Visitor will be entirely self-funded or with fund support from his/her home University (in accordance with UK Immigration policy). An invitation to become an Academic Visitor also does not confer membership of any College.
Firstly, please complete the online Scholars Application form.
The following additional documents should then be emailed to email@example.com:
- A curriculum vitae, including a list of publications;
- A brief Statement of Support from Dr Binghan Zheng, Director, the Centre for Intercultural Mediations and the name(s) of any members staff with whom you have previously had academic contact. The statement of support must indicate how the visiting scholar will contribute to research in the School;
- Two reference letters;
- A detailed research proposal.
Incomplete applications and applications sent without two attached references or a CV will not be processed. Please note that you must ask your referees to provide written references and attach these to your application. Applications must be sent at least two months before the start of the proposed visit.
Your application will be considered by the Head and relevant members of the Centre. You will be notified in writing as soon as possible thereafter.
Fees: The fee for Academic Visitors is £1,000 including VAT for a period of up to 12 months.
Please email or telephone the MLAC Finance Administrator, Faculty of Arts & Humanities, Durham University for the payment:
Telephone: + 44 (0) 191 334 3427
Immigration and visa requirements
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure full compliance at all times with the UK government's immigration and visa requirements.
Please ensure that you have checked your status with the guidelines on the UK Home Office website