Founder and Retired member
Publication detailsJohn Williams (1999). The Ethical Basis of Humanitarian Intervention, The Security Council and Yugoslavia. International Peacekeeping 6(2): 1-23.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1353-3312, 1743-906X
- DOI: 10.1080/13533319908413769
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The article analyses the text of Security Council Resolutions on the conflict in the former Yugoslavia for the period between September 1991 and 1997. It searches for evidence of a shift on the part of the Council towards an acceptance of the idea of universal human rights and their importance to international peace and security. The article concludes that the Resolutions do suggest that such a shift is underway, and this contributes to a greater concern for justice as an element of order in international relations.