Dr Lutz D.H. Sauerteig, M.A. (Munich), Dr. phil. (Berlin), Senior Lecturer
Contact details from 1 August 2017: firstname.lastname@example.org
Current Research Project
- History of sex education in the 19th and 20th centuries
Other Research Interests
- History of Bodies
- History of Sexualities
- History of Public Health in the 19th and 20th Centuries
- History of Medical Ethics in the 19th and 20th Centuries
- History of Venereal Diseases/STIs
Click here for a list of major publications. Publications related to my research project on the history of sex education are also listed under the research project.
Google-Scholar Profile: http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=o-iMO6IAAAAJ
- Year 3 undergraduate module, History of the Body (HEAL3011, 20 Credits) Module Leader
- Master Programme in History and Philosophy of Science and Medicine (HPSM), Programme Director
- MA Masters Module: HPSM History of Medicine Module (HEAS 40030, 30 credits), Module Leader
- MSc Masters Module: Gender, 'Sex', Health and Politics (HEAS 44415, 15 credits; HEAS 44330, 30 credits), Module Leader
- I am happy to supervise postgraduate projects (Masters and PhD) related to my research interests, especially projects on the History of Sexualities and the History of Bodies. For further information on how to apply, please click here.
Lutz D.H. Sauerteig, born in Hamburg, Germany. He is a historian of medicine, sexualities and bodies who studied Modern European History, History of Eastern and South-Eastern Europe, Theatre Studies, and Cultural Anthropology at the universities of Munich, Oxford and Berlin. He received his M.A. in History from the Ludwig-Maximilian's University, Munich, in 1989 and his doctorate (Dr. phil.) in History from the Humboldt University, Berlin, in 1996.
From 1990 to 1992, Lutz worked as Research Assistant for the late Professor Thomas Nipperdey at the Institute for Modern History, University of Munich. From 1994 to 2003, he was Lecturer in history of medicine at the Institute for the History of Medicine, Medical Faculty, Albert-Ludwig's University Freiburg. Lutz joined Durham University in May 2003 as Lecturer in History of Medicine (Wellcome University Award Holder 2003-8) at the School of Medicine, Pharmacy & Health and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in October 2010. In August 2017 he joined the University of Newcastle and will be a member of the Institute of Health and Society.
From 2000 to 2012, Lutz served on the Executive Committee of the Society for the Social History of Medicine (a registered charity organisation; Charity number 278414) and has been the Society's Chair from 2008 to 2011.