Commemoration of Founders and Benefactors
University staff are invited to attend the annual service for the commemoration of Founders and Benefactors of the Cathedral Church, the University and the City. The next service will be held on Sunday 24 November at 3.30pm. Further details will be published once they are confirmed.
The service is open to the public but to guarantee a seat, staff are advised to register their place in the University party and also request seats for accompanying guests.
The Staff Procession at the service will be comprised of degree holders who are also:
- current or retired members of University staff
- College mentors
- members of Council and Senate (including members without degrees)
- Durham SU Sabbatical Officers and JCR/MCR/GCR Presidents (including members without degrees)
- Honorary or Visiting Fellows
- Teaching staff of Durham University students employed by other institutions (e.g. teaching staff on Common Awards and the KMPG programme)
The service is held to celebrate those whose generosity in the past has enriched the lives of Durham's great institutions today and is attended by representatives from the fields of education, business, local government, social care, charity and religious life in the city and county. During the service the Vice-Chancellor/Pro-Vice-Chancellor, HM Lord Lieutenant, the Mayor and Chairman of the County Council and other local representatives lay floral tributes in St Cuthbert's Shrine around whose body the Cathedral, city and University were constructed.