Staff Procession and Staff Tickets
Staff are invited to form a procession at ceremonies, if eligible, for which academic dress must be worn. Staff wishing to join a procession are requested to submit their request online between Friday 3 May and Sunday 9 June 2019. Please watch out for notices on Dialogue and Message of the Day.
The Staff Procession is comprised of degree holders who are also:
- current or retired members of University staff
- College mentors
- members of Council and Senate (including members without degrees)
- Durham SU Sabbatical Officers and JCR/MCR/GCR Presidents (including members without degrees)
- Honorary or Visiting Fellows
- Teaching staff of Durham University students employed by other institutions (e.g. teaching staff on Common Awards and the KPMG programme)
Information for Attendance
- The Staff Procession will assemble in the Chapter House of the Cathedral 45 MINUTES before the start of each ceremony.
- Academic Dress must be worn for the procession. Staff should use the attendance form to request the loan of robes, which will be available for collection from the Chapter House and must be returned to the same room after the ceremony or by 6:00 pm at the latest. Please note that it is only possible to supply academic dress for UK Universities. Generic 'International' robes may be loaned for overseas awards. Those eligible to process without degrees (as stated above) shoud request a black gown.
- Staff are reminded that the safety of any personal belongings left in the Chapter House cannot be guaranteed and are requested to only bring with them what they are able to carry.
- During Congregation, entrance to the Cathedral is strictly via the Galilee Chapel, which is to the right of the main North Door as you approach the Cathedral. Please do not attempt to enter via the North Door.
- At the end of the ceremony, please follow the procession down the path onto Palace Green to allow space for graduates and guests to exit the Cathedral behind. Alternatively you can return straight to the Chapter House.
Staff and guest tickets
Staff not eligible to process or wishing to bring guests to a ceremony should submit the staff attendance form to request tickets for the reserved staff seating area between Friday 3 May and Sunday 9 June 2019.
Staff and staff guests with tickets are requested to be seated in the Cathedral by 15 minutes prior to the ceremony. Please note that during Congregation, entrance to the Cathedral is strictly via the Galilee Chapel, which is to the right of the main North Door as you approach the Cathedral where, on presentation of the appropriate staff ticket, marshals will direct you to the staff seating area, which is by the Font.