Staff Procession and Staff Tickets
The deadline has now passed to register your attendance at Winter Congregation 2020.
If you have your own robe, please email email@example.com to check if you can be added to the list. Please note this is dependent on the number of staff already registered for the procession.
If you do not have your own robes, you will need to check that our supplier is able to accomodate your request before contacting Ceremonies Unit to be added to the list (again dependent on availability). Please call Gray and Son robemakers on 0191 3864168 as soon as possible.
The Staff Procession is comprised of degree holders who are also:
- current or retired members of University staff
- College mentors
- members of Council and Senate (including members without degrees)
- Durham SU Sabbatical Officers and JCR/MCR/GCR Presidents (including members without degrees)
- Honorary or Visiting Fellows
- Teaching staff of Durham University students employed by other institutions (e.g. teaching staff on Common Awards and the KPMG programme)
Information for Attendance
- The Staff Procession will assemble in the Chapter House of the Cathedral 45 MINUTES before the start of each ceremony.
- Academic Dress must be worn for the procession. Staff should use the attendance form to request the loan of robes, which will be available for collection from the Chapter House and must be returned to the same room after the ceremony or by 5:00 pm at the latest on Thursday and 2:00 pm on Friday. Please note that it is only possible to supply academic dress for UK Universities. Generic 'International' robes may be loaned for overseas awards. Those eligible to process without degrees (as stated above) shoud request a black gown.
- Staff are reminded that the safety of any personal belongings left in the Chapter House cannot be guaranteed and are requested to only bring with them what they are able to carry.
- During Congregation, entrance to the Cathedral is strictly via the Galilee Chapel, which is to the right of the main North Door as you approach the Cathedral. Please do not attempt to enter via the North Door.
- At the end of the ceremony, please follow the procession down the path onto Palace Green to allow space for graduates and guests to exit the Cathedral behind. Alternatively you can return straight to the Chapter House.
Staff and guest tickets
The online form to request staff tickets is now closed.
Staff and staff guests with tickets are requested to be seated in the Cathedral by 15 minutes prior to the ceremony. Please note that during Congregation, entrance to the Cathedral is strictly via the Galilee Chapel, which is to the right of the main North Door as you approach the Cathedral where, on presentation of the appropriate staff ticket, marshals will direct you to the staff seating area, which is by the Font.