Academic Procession and Staff Tickets
Staff are invited to form an Academic Procession at ceremonies, for which academic dress must be worn. Staff wishing to join a procession are asked to submit the Staff Attendance Form by 7 June. This deadline provides time for us to order academic dress.
The Academic Procession is comprised of:
- current and retired members of academic and academic-related staff (normally taken to mean staff on Grade 7 and above)
- College staff and mentors (Grade 7 and above)
- members of Council and Senate
- Durham SU Sabbatical Officers and JCR/MCR/GCR Presidents
Information for Attendance
- The Academic Procession will assemble in the Chapter House of the Cathedral 30 MINUTES before the start of each ceremony.
- Academic Dress must be worn for the procession. Staff may use the attendance form to request the loan of robes, which will be available for collection from the Chapter House and must be returned to the same room after the ceremony or by 6:00 pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and by 4:00 pm on Friday. Please note that it is only possible to supply academic dress for UK Universities. Generic 'International' robes may be loaned for overseas awards.
- Staff are reminded that the safety of any personal belongings left in the Chapter House cannot be guaranteed and are requested to only bring with them what they are able to carry.
- During Congregation, entrance to the Cathedral is strictly via the Galilee Chapel, which is to the right of the main North Door as you approach the Cathedral. Please do not attempt to enter via the North Door.
- At the end of the ceremony, please follow the procession down the path onto Palace Green to allow space for graduates and guests to exit the Cathedral behind. Alternatively you can return straight to the Chapter House.
Staff and guest tickets
Staff not eligible to process or wishing to bring guests are asked to complete the Staff Attendance Form to request tickets for the 'staff seating area' by 7 June.
Staff and staff guests with tickets are requested to be seated in the Cathedral by 15 minutes prior to the ceremony. Please note that during Congregation, entrance to the Cathedral is strictly via the Galilee Chapel, which is to the right of the main North Door as you approach the Cathedral where, on presentation of the appropriate staff ticket, marshals will direct you to the staff seating area, which is by the Font.