Marshalling provides an opportunity for staff to be involved in Congregation, contribute to this special occasion and help create a celebratory atmosphere. Marshals are vital to ensure the ceremonies run smoothly, providing advice and guidance to students, their guests and staff. Marshalling also enables you to mix with colleagues from across the University and to sample the delicious food and cakes in the Cathedral restaurant!
Summer Congregation will be held between Tuesday 2 and Friday 5 July 2019. Assistance is also requested with the allocation of guest tickets on Friday 28 June from the Calman Learning Centre. (Tickets will also be available for collection on the ceremony day).
A rota will be issued in mid June. All marshals work in teams and are provided with written instructions in advance with training sessions also scheduled in June. Staff can volunteer to work a whole or a half day or all 4 days if they are available.
Staff wishing to marshal should complete the Marshal Volunteer Form between Friday 3 May and Monday 3 June 2019. Please look out for Dialogue notices for further information.
Below are some comments received from marshals:
- "I really enjoyed helping out at Congregation and look forward to volunteering again in the Winter."
- "The instructions were really useful and I had no problems directing guests or being able to find anything."
- "I'd recommend being a marshal to anyone as you meet staff from other parts of the university, it is a happy occasion and the coffee and cake in the Cathedral restaurant make up for the early start."
- "I throughly enjoyed helping as a marshal at congregation and would definitely volunteer again."
- "Seeing all of the graduands and the proud guests who come to watch them graduate really does remind me why we all work at the University."
- "Overall a great experience and met some lovely people. Would definitely sign up again next year!"
Roles and Shifts
A list of the locations to be covered and associated shift times is provided below:
|Location||Marshals||Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri|
|Guest Ticket Desk||2||07:00-16:00|
|Inner North Door||1||08:00-17:30|
|North Side Aisle+Outer North Door||2||07:30-17:30|
|South Side Aisle+Outer North Door||2||07:30-17:30|