These pages contain information to assist students and guest to enjoy Summer Congregation 2018.
Ceremonies will be held in Durham Cathedral between Tuesday 26 and Friday 29 June 2018. The timetable shows the allocation of departments to ceremonies.
Students must register via DUO between the end of April and 20 June.
Registration will enable students to:
- confirm contact details for the degree documents
- state whether or not you wish to attend the Summer Congregation ceremony or defer to the Winter Congregation
- if attending the ceremony, request guest tickets, order robes and access further information regarding arrangements on the day
- The ceremonies are held in Durham Cathedral but are not religious events although Christian iconography is displayed inside the venue. The Cathedral provides a large and beautiful venue for the ceremonies with other, related, activities held in the surrounding area.
- A marquee on Palace Green will house the Congregation Fair activities for graduands and guests to enjoy before and after the ceremony.
- Students are required to arrive 1 hour an 45 minutes before the ceremony commences.
- Ceremonies last approximately an hour.
- International students may obtain a letter to support a visa application for attending Congregation for themselves or their guests.
- Students and guests are advised that photographs will be taken at this event which may be used in future University publicity and ceremonies are filmed.
- For Summer Congregation 2018, each student attending is guaranteed up to 2 tickets for guests to sit in the Nave (centre) area of the Cathedral and can request up to 2 extra guest tickets for seats in the Side Aisles.
- Guest tickets for the ceremony are free of charge.
- No degree or other qualification shall normally be conferred upon a student while he/she has a significant tuition fee debt owing to the University, in line with the University General Regulation IX B.
- Degree Documents are not issued at the ceremony and will be posted to graduates within 8 weeks of Congregation by Student Registry.
Important tasks to be completed before your ceremony day:
- Before 12 June order robes
- Before 20 June complete Congregation and Parchment registration via DUO (under Banner Self Service).
- Before 20 June contact your Faculty Office to confirm the pronunciation of your name, only if it is often mispronounced
- Friday 22 June collect guest tickets - either students or guests can collect tickets. Tickets can also be collected on the day of ceremony.
Photographs and DVDs can be ordered in advance or on the day.