Congregation is the term used to describe our graduation ceremonies and means a gathering of members and friends of the University to witness and celebrate the conferring of degrees.
Ceremonies are held twice a year, in Summer (June/July) and Winter (January).
- Summer Congregation 2017 will be held between Tuesday 27 and Friday 30 June, view the summer timetable of departments to ceremonies. Further information about these ceremonies is published under Before Congregation and more details will be released closer to the time.
- Winter Congregation 2018 will be held on Thursday 11 and Friday 12 January 2018, view the winter timetable of departments to ceremonies.
- View the provisional dates of future Congregations.
Key points to note:
- The ceremonies are held in Durham Cathedral but are not religious events although christian iconography is displayed inside the venue. The Cathedral provides a large and beautiful venue for the ceremonies with other, related, activities held in the surrounding area.
- A marquee on Palace Green will house the Congregation Fair activities for graduands and guests to enjoy before and after the ceremony.
- Students are required to arrive 1 hour and 45 minutes before the ceremony commences.
- Ceremonies last approximately an hour.
- International students may obtain a letter to support a visa application for attending Congregation for themselves or their guests.
- Students and guests are advised that photographs will be taken at this event which may be used in future University publicity and ceremonies are filmed.
- Guest tickets for the ceremony are free of charge.
- No degree or other qualification shall normally be conferred upon a student while he/she has a significant tuition fee debt owing to the University, in line with the University General Regulation IX B.
- Degree Documents are not issued at the ceremony and will be posted to graduates within 8 weeks of Congregation by Student Registry.
Registration for Summer Congregation 2017
Students must register via DUO between the end of April and 21 June 2017 to confirm contact details for degree documents and state whether or not they wish to attend the Summer Congregation ceremony or defer to the Winter Congregation 2018.