Congregation is the term used to describe our graduation ceremonies and means a gathering of members and friends of the University to witness and celebrate the conferring of degrees.
Ceremonies are held twice a year, in Summer (June/July) and Winter (January).
- Winter Congregation 2017 will be held on 12 and 13 January, view the winter timetable of departments to ceremonies. View the Before Congregation section for information about these ceremonies, further details will be published in the autumn as arrangements are confirmed.
- Summer Congregation 2017 will be held between Tuesday 27 and Friday 30 June. The timetable of departments to ceremonies will be published by the end of October and further information on arrangements will be confirmed following the Winter ceremonies.
- View the provisional dates of future Congregations
Key points to note:
- The ceremonies are held in Durham Cathedral but are not religious events although christian iconography is displayed inside the venue. The Cathedral provides a large and beautiful venue for the ceremonies with other, related, activities held in the surrounding area.
- Students are required to arrive 1 hour and 45 minutes before the ceremony commences.
- Ceremonies last approximately an hour.
- International students may obtain a letter to support a visa application for attending Congregation for themselves or their guests.
- Students and guests are advised that photographs will be taken at this event which may be used in future University publicity and ceremonies are filmed.
- Guest tickets for the ceremony are free of charge.
- No degree or other qualification shall normally be conferred upon a student while he/she has a significant tuition fee debt owing to the University, in line with the University General Regulation IX B.
- Degree Documents are not issued at the ceremony and will be posted to graduates within 8 weeks of Congregation by Student Registry.
Registration for Winter Congregation 2017
Students must register via DUO between October and January (dates tbc) to confirm contact details for the parchment (certificate) and state whether or not they wish to attend the Winter Congregation ceremony or defer to the Summer Congregation.