Congregation is the term used to describe our graduation ceremonies and means a gathering of members and friends of the University to witness and celebrate the conferring of degrees.
Ceremonies are held twice a year, in Summer (June/July) and Winter (January).
- Summer Congregation 2019 will be held between Tuesday 2 and Friday 5 July.
- Winter Congregation 2020 will be held in January 2020, exact dates to be confirmed.
Key points to note:
- The ceremonies are held in Durham Cathedral but are not religious events although christian iconography is displayed inside the venue. The Cathedral provides a large and beautiful venue for the ceremonies with other, related, activities held in the surrounding area.
- Students are required to arrive 2 hours before the ceremony commences.
- Ceremonies last approximately an hour.
- International students may obtain a letter to support a visa application for attending Congregation for themselves or their guests.
- Students and guests are advised that photographs will be taken at this event which may be used in future University publicity and ceremonies are filmed.
- For Summer Congregation 2019, each student attending is guaranteed up to 2 tickets for guests to sit in the Nave (centre) area of the Cathedral and can request up to 2 extra guest tickets for seats in the Side Aisles.
- Guest tickets for the ceremony are free of charge and are requested through the Congregation and Degree Document registration system.
- No degree or other qualification shall normally be conferred upon a student while he/she has a significant tuition fee debt owing to the University, in line with the University General Regulation IX B.
- Degree Documents are not issued at the ceremony and will be posted to graduates within 8 weeks of Congregation by Student Registry.
Registration for Summer Congregation 2019
Students must register via DUO between April and June 2019 to confirm contact details for the parchment (certificate) and state whether or not they wish to attend the Summer Congregation ceremony or defer to the Winter Congregation 2020. Further information will be sent closer to the time.
For further information on how we use the personal data collected as part of the registration process, please read our Privacy Notice