Congregation is the term used to describe our graduation ceremonies and means a gathering of members and friends of the University to witness and celebrate the conferring of degrees.
Ceremonies are held twice a year, in Summer (June/July) and Winter (January).
- Winter Congregation 2018 will be held on Thursday 11 and Friday 12 January 2018, view the winter timetable of departments to ceremonies.
- Summer Congregation 2018 will be held between Tuesday 26 and Friday 29 June 2018. Further information about these ceremonies will be released closer to the time.
Key points to note:
- The ceremonies are held in Durham Cathedral but are not religious events although christian iconography is displayed inside the venue. The Cathedral provides a large and beautiful venue for the ceremonies with other, related, activities held in the surrounding area.
- A marquee on Palace Green will house the Congregation Fair activities for graduands and guests to enjoy before and after the ceremony.
- Students are required to arrive 1 hour and 45 minutes before the ceremony commences.
- Ceremonies last approximately an hour.
- International students may obtain a letter to support a visa application for attending Congregation for themselves or their guests.
- Students and guests are advised that photographs will be taken at this event which may be used in future University publicity and ceremonies are filmed.
- Guest tickets for the ceremony are free of charge.
- No degree or other qualification shall normally be conferred upon a student while he/she has a significant tuition fee debt owing to the University, in line with the University General Regulation IX B.
- Degree Documents are not issued at the ceremony and will be posted to graduates within 8 weeks of Congregation by Student Registry.
Registration for Winter Congregation 2018
Students must register via DUO to confirm contact details for degree documents and state whether or not they wish to attend the Winter Congregation ceremony or defer to the Summer Congregation. Registration for Winter Congregation will open in late October 2017.