Professor Shaun Pattinson, LLB, MA, PhD, FRSA, FRSB
(email at email@example.com)
Shaun Pattinson is Professor of Medical Law and Ethics. He joined the Law School as Reader in Law in 2006 and was promoted to Chair in 2013. He was previously Lecturer (2000-2005), then Senior Lecturer (2005-2006) at the University of Sheffield. Shaun founded Durham CELLS (Centre for Ethics and Law in the Life Sciences) in December 2011. He has been a visiting scholar at the universities of Helsinki and Maastricht.
Shaun has a law degree from the University of Hull, and a Master's degree (in Biotechnological Law and Ethics) and Ph.D from the University of Sheffield. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts in 2007 and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology in 2017. See further Shaun’s LinkedIn profile.
Shaun's research interests are primarily in the area of medical law and ethics. His principal publications are Influencing Traits Before Birth (2002) and Medical Law and Ethics (5th edn, 2017). The second edition of Medical Law and Ethics was awarded the 2010 Minty Medico-Legal Society Prize for best medico-legal book. A collection of essays, edited with Patrick Capps, was published in January: Ethical Rationalism and the Law (Hart Publishing, 2017). Shaun is currently writing a monograph, Revisiting Landmark Cases in Medical Law (Routledge).
Shaun has participated in many research projects and external committees. He is, for example, currently a member of the External Advisory Board for the Canadian National Transplant Research Program (CNTRP) and was principal investigator on a Wellcome Trust engagement project. He has given papers at many UK universities and in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, and the US. He edited Medical Law International from July 2005 to July 2011. He has been a member of the international editorial board of the Journal of Bioethical Inquiry since 2009, and the editorial board of Medical Law International since February 2017 and the Biologist since July 2017.
Since March 2015, Shaun has been a member of the Nuffield Council on Bioethics, which is the closest that the UK has to a national bioethics committee. He was one of the seven-member Working Group on Non-Invasive Prenatal Testing (NIPT), which launched its report on NIPT in the Speaker's House in the Palace of Westminster on 1 March 2017, and he contributed to a recent workshop/publication on research on human embryos: Human Embryo Culture (August 2017), 81–83.
Professor Pattinson is happy to advise those interested in studying for a PhD in any area of medical law and ethics to start in October 2018. Please read the information here and contact to arrange for advice on your draft proposal.
Research students - current
- Primary supervisor: Jessica Birch (MJur); Angela Grunert (PhD); Marianna Iliadou (PhD)
- Secondary supervisor: Thomas Bennett (PhD); Joshua Jowitt (PhD); Daniel Lowe (PhD); Marcus Wong (PhD)
Research students - successfully completed
- PhD: Benedict Douglas; Daniel Fenwick; Clayton Ó Néill
- MJur: Rebecca Blackburn; Chantell Burrows; Daniel Fenwick; Elizabeth Gibbison (née Robinson)
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2017). Medical Law and Ethics. 5th ed., London: Sweet & Maxwell (in press).
Chapter in book
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2017). Advance Refusals and the Personal Identity Objection. In Ethical Rationalism and the Law. Capps, Patrick & Pattinson, Shaun D. Oxford: Hart Publishing. 91-108.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2015). Contemporaneous and Advance Requests: The Fight for Rights at the End of Life. In Landmark Cases in Medical Law. Jonathan Herring & Jesse Wall Oxford: Hart Publishing. 255-269.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. & Capps, Patrick (2017). Ethical Rationalism and the Law. Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Gerke, Sara & Pattinson, Shaun D. (2017). EU Marketing Authorisation of Orphan Medicinal Products and Its Impact on Related Research. European Journal of Health Law 24.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. & Kind, Vanessa (2017). Using a Moot to Develop Students’ Understanding of Human Cloning and Statutory Interpretation. Medical Law International
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2015). The Human Rights Act and the Doctrine of Precedent. Legal Studies 35(1): 142-164.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2012). Emergency Research and the Interests of Participants. Medical Law International 12(2): 121-141.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2012). The Value of Bodily Material: Acquiring and Allocating Human Gametes. Medical Law Review 20(4): 576-603.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2011). Directed donation and ownership of human organs. Legal Studies 31(3): 392-410.