Professor Shaun D Pattinson, LLB, MA, PhD, FRSA
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Shaun Pattinson is Professor of Medical Law and Ethics. He joined the Law School as Reader in Law in 2006 and was promoted to Chair in 2013. He was previously Lecturer (2000-2005), then Senior Lecturer (2005-2006) at the University of Sheffield. Shaun founded Durham CELLS (Centre for Ethics and Law in the Life Sciences) in December 2011. He has been a visiting scholar at the universities of Helsinki and Maastricht.
Shaun has a law degree from the University of Hull, and a Master's degree (in Biotechnological Law and Ethics) and Ph.D from the University of Sheffield.
Shaun tweets @ShaunPattinson
Shaun's research interests are primarily in the area of medical law and ethics. His principal publications are Influencing Traits Before Birth (2002) and Medical Law and Ethics (4th edn, 2014). The second edition of Medical Law and Ethics was awarded the 2010 Minty Medico-Legal Society Prize for best medico-legal book.
Shaun has been appointed to the Nuffield Council on Bioethics (the closest that the UK has to a national bioethics committee) for a 3-year term from March 2015. He has participated in many research projects and external committees. He is, for example, currently a member of the External Advisory Board for the Canadian National Transplant Research Program (CNTRP), principal investigator on a Wellcome Trust engagement project and co-organiser of the SLS Seminar 2015.
Shaun has given papers at many UK universities and in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, and the US. He edited Medical Law International from July 2005 to July 2011.
Professor Pattinson is happy to advise those interested in studying for a PhD in any area of medical law and ethics. Please read the information here and contact to arrange for advice on your draft proposal.
Research students - current
- Clayton Ó Néill (PhD - primary supervisor)
- Thomas Bennett (PhD - secondary supervisor)
- Joshua Jowitt (PhD - secondary supervisor)
- Daniel Lowe (PhD - secondary supervisor)
Starting in 2015
- Siti Farahiyah Hj Ab Rahim (PhD - secondary supervisor)
- Sara Gerke (PhD - visiting student)
Research students - successfully completed
- Rebecca Blackburn: 'Ending One's Own Life: Unjustifiable Injustice' (MJur)
- Chantell Burrows: 'Deconstructing Motherhood: A critique of the regulation of surrogacy' (MJur)
- Benedict Douglas: 'The Necessity and Possibility of the Use of the Principle of Generic Consistency by the UK Courts to Answer Fundamental Questions of Convention Rights Interpretation' (PhD )
- Daniel Fenwick: 'Recognition of the Violation of Women's Human Rights Under the European Convention of Human Rights in the Context of Restrictive Abortion Regimes' (MJur)
- Daniel Fenwick, 'A Gewirthian Conception of the Right to Enabled Suicide in England and Wales' (PhD)
- Elizabeth Gibbison (née Robinson): 'Lessons from Odysseus and Beyond: Why Lacking Morality Means Lacking Totality in the Mental Capacity Act 2005' (MJur)
Law and Medicine
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2014). Medical Law and Ethics. London: 4th edn, Sweet & Maxwell.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2002). Influencing Traits Before Birth. Aldershot: Ashgate.
Essays in edited volumes
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2015). Contemporaneous and Advance Requests: The Fight for Rights at the End of Life. In Landmark Cases in Medical Law. Herring, Jonathan & Wall, Jesse Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. & Beyleveld, Deryck (2010). Confidentiality and Data Protection. In Principles of Medical Law. Grubb, Andrew, Laing, Judith, McHale, Jean & Professor Sir Ian Kennedy (consultant editor) Oxford: Oxford University Press. 651-723.
Journal papers: academic
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2015). The Human Rights Act and the Doctrine of Precedent. Legal Studies 35(1): 142-164.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2012). Emergency Research and the Interests of Participants. Medical Law International 12(2): 121-141.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2012). The Value of Bodily Material: Acquiring and Allocating Human Gametes. Medical Law Review 20(4): 576-603.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. (2011). Directed donation and ownership of human organs. Legal Studies 31(3): 392-410.
- Pattinson, Shaun D. & Beyleveld, Deryck. (2010). Defending Moral Precaution as a Solution to the Problem of Other Minds: A Reply to Holm and Coggon. Ratio Juris 23(2): 258-273.