It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Stuart Feeney in a car accident on the 30th November 2017.
Stuart obtained his PhD degree from Durham University and was then a postdoctoral researcher in the Centre for Communications systems until 2013. He then set up his own consultancy company S.M.F. Designs Ltd.
During his time at Durham he made numerous contributions to the research in the Centre. He was instrumental in conducting field trials for industry and government agencies which raised funds for the anechoic chamber in the Centre. His contributions span antenna design, antenna calibration, RF circuit designs and most recently to the design of the new channel sounder in the millimetre wave band.
Stuart was kind and generous and he will be sorely missed. Through his extensive experience in radio frequency design he supported numerous research projects and designed a new kit for undergraduate teaching in electronics.
Some of his contributions can be seen from the following links
IRACON COST action
- Professor Salous elected Working Group 1 Co-Chair on Radio Channels in the COST Action, IRACON. http://www.iracon.org/working-groups/
IRACON Newsletters with Centre’s input
- Interview with Professor Sana Salous, http://www.iracon.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/newsletter_2017_11_24.pdf
- Towards an ITU channel model for 5G" by S. Salous ‐ TD(17)04021, http://www.iracon.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/newsletter_2017_09_04.pdf
- Overview of the COST IC1004 white paper on 'Channel measurements and modelling for 5G networks in the frequency bands above 6 GHz'" by S. Salous ‐ TD(16)01042, http://www.iracon.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/newsletter_nr-1.pdf
Related links: WHITE paper
EUCAP 2017, Paris, Professor Sana Salous delivered an invited talk on ‘Towards a channel model for 5G’, http://www.eucap2017.org/conference/invited-papers
ARMMS conference: Professor Sana Salous, Millimeter Wave Band Propagation Studies for 5G Networks, http://www.armms.org/conferences/?conference=66
International conferences & workshops
Professor Sana Salous is member of
AT-RASC 2018 European Liaison Committee: http://www.atrasc.com/committees.php
EUCAP 2018, London, Technical Programme Chairs, http://www.eucap.org/conference/organising-committee-text
Dr Aissa Ikhlef is the co-chair of the IEEE Workshop on Emerging Energy Harvesting Solutions for 5G Networks (5G-NRG). The workshop is in conjunction with the IEEE ICC'2017 conference which took place in Paris, France, 21-25 May 2017.
- Ofcom awarded the Centre a grant to study mm wave propagation for future 5G radio systems
- Intel, USA awarded the Centre a grant to model the mm wave propagation channel