Staff in the Department of Arabic
Go to the MLAC staff pages.
Professor Daniel Newman, PhD London
Professor / Head of Department in the School of Modern Languages and Cultures
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 43412
Room number: A8, Elvet Riverside I
Special Advisor to the Islamic Criminal Justice Project in the Centre for Criminal Law & Justice
- Arabic geographical and travel literature (with special focus on Arab travellers to Europe in the 19th century)
- Arabic phonology and phonetics
- The Tunisian and Egyptian Nahda movements
- Translation and Linguistics
Indicators of Esteem
- 2009: co-recipient of World Award of the President of the Republic of Tunisia for Islamic Studies:
- AHRC Peer Review College member (2009-2012):
- Member of Council, British Society for Middle Eastern Studies (2009-2012):
- Forthcoming (co-authored with Husni, R.) A to Z of Arabic-English-Arabic Translation, Saqi Books.
- Forthcoming (co-authored with Husni, R.) Arabic-English-Arabic Translation: Issues and Strategies, Routledge.
- Forthcoming Rifa'a al-Tahtawi: A Nineteenth-Century Egyptian Educationalist and Reformer, Edinburgh University Press, 240 pp.
- 2013 Images and Representations: Tunisian Travellers to Europe in the 19th Century, Beit al-Hikma, 365 pp.
- 2013 The Sultan's Potions: Arab Aphrodisiaca in the Middle Ages, Saqi Books, 220 pp.
- 2008 (co-authored with Husni, R.) Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader - Twelve Stories by Contemporary Masters from Morocco to Iraq, Saqi Books, 296 pp.
- 2007 Arabic-English Thematic Lexicon, Routledge, 205 pp.
- 2007 (co-authored with Husni, R.) Muslim Women in Law and Society: Annotated translation of al-Tahir al-Haddad’s Imra ‘tuna fi ‘l-sharia wa ‘l-mujtama, with an introduction, Routledge, 218 pp.
- 2004 An Imam in Paris: Al-Tahtawi's Visit to France (1826-1831), Saqi Books, 405 pp.
- 1993 (co-authored with Van der Tuin, J) Elsevier’s Dictionary of Ports and Shipping (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, German), Elsevier, 382 pp.
- 2008 'Contemporary Iraqi Fiction. An Anthology', Banipal 33, pp. 146-148
- 2007 'A War of Words: Language and Conflict in the Middle East', Holy Land Studies 6, pp. 220-222
- 2006 'Arab Muslim Minorities in the European Union: The Integration Paradigm', 4, pp. 269-348
Edited works: conference proceedings
- 2012 'Proceedings of the 1st Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2012)'.
- 1999 (co-authored with Van Campenhoudt, M) 'Maritime Terminology: Issues in Communication and Translation. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Maritime Terminology', pp. 334
Essays in edited volumes
- 2013 'The Arabic Literary Language: the Nahda (and beyond)', in Jonathan Owens (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Arabic Linguistics, Oxford University Press, pp. 472-494
- 2008 'Myths and signs of alienation between 19th-century rihlat and Europe', in Ostle, Robin (ed.), Sensibilities of the Islamic Mediterranean: Self expression in a Muslim Culture from post-classical times to the present day, I.B. Tauris, pp. 85-102
- 2005 'Contrastive Analysis of the Segments of French and Arabic', in Elgibali, A. (ed.), Investigating Arabic: Current Parameters in Analysis and Learning, Brill, pp. 185-206
Journal papers: academic
- Forthcoming '19th-century Arabic Periodicals in Europe: The politics of Exile and Reformism', Abgadiyat pp. 25
- 2010 '19th-century Tunisian Travel Literature on Europe: Construction of Memory and the Other', Revue de l'Institut des Belles Lettres Arabes (IBLA) 73, pp. 175-189
- 2009 'Sulayman al-Hara’iri: an Early Tunisian Reformer', Cahiers de Tunisie LXII, pp. 11-60
- 2008 'Ahmad Bey's journey to the land of the Fransis (1846)', IBLA 71, pp. 43-102
- 2008 'La rihlat de Suleiman al-Siyam en France en 1852: une page oubliée de l'histoire de l'Algérie', Chronos 17, pp. 17-36
- 2007 (co-authored with Husni, Ronak) 'Cultural Translation in the Age of the Nahda', Turjuman 16, pp. 63-87
- 2007 'The European Sources of the Aqwam al-Masalik fi Ma’rifat al-Mamalik', IBLA pp. 209-228
- 2002 (co-authored with Verhoeven, J) 'Frequency analysis of Arabic vowels in connected speech', Antwerp Papers in Linguistics 100, pp. 77-86
- 2002 'Myths and Realities in Muslim Alterist Discourse: Arab Travellers in Europe in the Age of the Nahda (19th c.)', Chronos 6, pp. 7-76
- 2002 'The European Influence on Arabic during the Nahda Lexical Borrowing from European Languages (ta'rib) in 19th-Century Literature', Arabic Language and Literature 5, pp. 1-32
- 2002 'The phonetic status of Arabic within the worlds languages: the uniqueness of the lughat al-daad', Antwerp Papers in Linguistics 100, pp. 65-75
- 2002 'Tunisian diplomatic representation in Europe in the 19th century: the controversy surrounding the establishment of Tunisian consulates in Belgium (1865-1866)', Les Cahiers de Tunisie 181, pp. 27-46
- 2001 'Arab travellers to Europe until the end of the 18th century and their accounts: historical overviews and themes', Chronos 4, pp. 7-61
- 2001 'Italy in Arabic travel literature until the end of the 19th century: cultural encounters and perceptions of the Other', Equivalences 29, pp. 197-234
Journal papers: online
- 2008 'Egyptian Colloqual Arabic (Cairo)', Edinburgh IPA archives pp.
- Forthcoming (trans.). Sensual Delights of the Heart: Arab Erotica by Ahmed al-Tifashi . Saqi Books
Available for media contact about:
- Foreign Literature & Language: Arabic Language and Literature
- Language, Literature & the Arts: Arab media
- Politics & Society: Alterist Discourse: the West and the Arab World
- Middle eastern and Islamic studies: Alterist Discourse: the West and the Arab World
- 2010: Leverhulme Research Fellowship (£44,507) for 12 months to conduct research on "Rifa'a al-Tahtawi and the Politics of Language".
- 2008: British Academy Overseas Conference grant
- 2007: British Academy research grant (£7,500) for fieldwork relating to pharyngealisation in the Arabic dialects of Egypt, Tunisia and Oman
- Mr Talal Al-hosni
- Mr Asim Al-saidi
- Mr Al-bara'a Hafiz
- Mr Amin Alshangiti
- Mr Majd Ibrahim
- Ms Lamis Omar
- Ms Shaymaa Abdou
- Ms Areej Allawzi
- Mr Salem Abu-talag
- Miss Garsa Argeg
- Mr Ibrahem Ibrahem
- Mrs Ibtisam Elgerwi
- Mrs Rosemary Mitchell-Schuitevoeder
- Miss Barbara Dick
- Mr. Abdulilah Lahmami
- Mr Musstafa Melad
- Miss Davina Craps