Fairtrade Fortnight 2012
This year's Fairtrade Fortnight ran from the 27th February to the 11th March 2012.
A diverse range of events and activities took place for staff and students across the University in recognition of Fairtrade Fortnight. These included a Fairtrade debate, tastings, Fairtrade formals and departmental tea breaks. The full Fairtrade Fortnight Schedule includes information on all of these events:
- Fairtrade Fortnight Schedule 2012 (last modified: 23 February 2012)
John Hirst's presentation from the 'Unfair Fairtrade?' Debate can be viewed here.
If you would like to support Fairtrade by running a future event in your college, department or office, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Events may be big or small and suggestions include:
- Fairtrade Tea Break: Host a Fairtrade Tea Break for you and your colleagues - with Fairtrade tea, coffee, biscuits and plenty of information on the Fairtrade mark
- Fairtrade Cake Sale/ Bake Off: An opportunity for you and your colleagues to try a number of recipes using Fairtrade products, to raise money for charity of your choice and to sample your creations!
- Reception Stand: Set up a Fairtrade information stand in your office. This could focus on one Fairtrade product (e.g. bananas, flowers, cotton) and include a producer profile and samples.
- Fairtrade Sports: Run a sports event using Fairtrade sports equipment (e.g. Fairtrade footballs and clothing). Serve Fairtrade orange juice and bananas as refreshments.
- College Events: Colleges may host a range of Fairtrade events such as a Fairtrade Formal, a Fairtrade quiz, a Fairtrade Pancake Party (use Fairtrade toppings), Fairtrade Wine Tasting...
The following may be helpful when planning your event:
- Durham University Fairtrade Poster and Information: Display on tabletops or as a poster at events or wherever Fairtrade goods are retailed
- Fairtrade Foundation Website: For further information on Fairtrade, for events ideas and for resources including quizzes, recipes and producer profiles
Please remember to notify Greenspace of your event by emailing email@example.com.