Durham Law Professor gives evidence to Parliamentary Committee.
(2 November 2011)
Gavin Phillipson gave oral evidence to the Parliamentary Joint Committee on Privacy and Injunctions on 17th October 2012 as an academic expert on the interpretation of the Human Rights Act in relation to the balance of Articles 8 and 10 ECHR and interim injunctions. Professor Phillipson gave evidence in a session with Jack Straw, former Home Secretary during the passage of the Human Rights Act Sir Stephen Sedley (Court of Appeal Justice) and Lord Wakeham, former Chair of the Press Complaints Commission. A transcript of the session can be found here.
- Just Released:
'Policy Paper: The Place of Northern Ireland within UK Human Rights Reform'
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- Houghton argues that Shakespeare riles the audience against King John's abuses. The spirit of #MagnaCarta is therefore in the audience.
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:26:18 +0100
- King John play toys with ideas of limiting power, kingship, arbitrary rule. Audiences have demanded that #MagnaCarta appears visibly in play
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:24:49 +0100
- Ruth Houghton exploring #MagnaCarta through Shakespeare's King John. #MagnaCarta not actually in the play, but does remind us of it.
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:21:14 +0100
- Human rights didn't reach peak with #MagnaCarta, or with US decl independence, or ECHR. Rights evolve.
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:15:35 +0100
- (Image of) #MagnaCarta has obviously gone beyond what it was intended to, and is being celebrated for this. Yet this is a critique of ECHR.
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:14:32 +0100
- It was seized upon in US decl of independence. That document didn't extend to native and African Americans (Dred Scott case) #MagnaCarta
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:12:13 +0100
- 'Free man' a narrowly definition of human. Access to English courts refused to Irish men; forced them to anglicise their names. #MagnaCarta
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:10:07 +0100
- Dr Greene being generous to #MagnaCarta, but only because it's it's birthday! But still notes that there is no universality in the docs
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:08:48 +0100
- 1217 includes rts to 'the commons' and the estovers. Allows for subsistence&survival. This is the basis of a progressive project #MagnaCarta
Tweeted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 15:05:47 +0100