Cycling is a good way to not only travel to the University but to explore Durham City and the surrounding area. It has many benefits including health, fitness, saves you money and reduces traffic and associated emissions on our roads. Even if you just walk your bike up the hills you will still get fitter and enjoy a clean, efficient, and more relaxed form of transport.
Did you know … regular cyclists have the health of an average person ten years younger! So why not consider taking up cycling today.
According to Sustrans:
- Cycyling is good for your mental health
- It’s an easy - and cheap - way to build physical activity into your daily routine
- Cycling to work can be quicker and easier than travelling by car
- It is the least polluting way of travelling after walking
- Ten bikes can be parked in the space of one car
- 2kg of carbon are saved for every short journey that is made using a bike instead of a car
Other information for Cyclists
We encourage staff and students to cycle to work / study at the University whether using their own bikes or hiring a bicycle. However, please note there is an abandoned bicycle policy which gives Security Personnel the authority to remove any bikes left standing for longer than 21 days. Please make sure you advise Security should you wish to leave your bike at the University during vacation periods.
Bicycle repair kits are available at the following locations:
- Lower Mountjoy (Science Site) Security Office (near the car barrier)
- Palace Green Security Office, Durham