Environment Week 2019
Environment Week took please between 25 February to 3 March 2019 and various events were scheduled to raise awareness of how and why to live, work and travel in a more environmentally sustainable way whilst promoting all of the Greenspace icons. Environment Week ran during the first week of the national Fairtrade Fortnight celebrations.
|Throughout the Week||
Why not visit the Recyke y'bike Shop on North Road where students can receive a free safety check on their bike and a 10% discount on a service. Bikes are on sale from around £90 and a set of bike lights are on offer at £6 a pair.
|Monday 25 February||11:00-15:00||How to Reduce Waste & Recycling Event by Durham Council Council - come along and meet members of the team and find out more on how to reduce waste||Calman Learning Centre|
|Tuesday 26 February||12:00-14:00||Greenspace Information Stand - find out more about Environmental Sustainability at the University||Calman Learning centre|
|Wednesday 27 February||11:30-13:30||Durham County Council Travel Team & Living Streets - find out more about||Calman Learning centre|
|Thursday 28 February||11:00-14:00||Public Transport Event: Arriva (Bus) & Northern (Train) - members will be on hand to advise on local bus and train services, including University discounts for staff and students||Palatine Centre|
|Thursday 28 February||11:00-14:00||Biffa Recycling & Waste Event: a member from Biffa will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about recycling and waste at the University.||Calman Learning Centre|
Additional Information you may be intersted to note:
- Why not take visit the Botanic Garden and take a self-guided walk around the grounds
- Join one of many organised walks taking place around the County of Durham arranged by Durham County Council
- Interested in cycling and do not have bike? Why not visit the local bike shop in Durham, Recyke Y'Bike who sell a range of new and refurbished secondhand bikes which are on sale from around £90.
- If you enjoy cycling and wish to find out more about cycling in Durham and local cycle routes then visit the Durham County Council website for further details
Also throughout Fairtrade Fortnight, the following will be took place:
- 10% discount on all Durham University Fairtrade clothing
- Staff and student using their own mug at either the Small Island Cafe and any YUM cafe outlet received 20p off any hot drink (this is available throughout the year). Also, the opportunity to purchase a Durham University ‘keep cup’ and receive a free drink
- Many college formals during the fortnight had a Fairtrade or Environmental theme whilst wine receptions were encouraged to consider Fairtrade or vegetarian wine. Menus also promoted our local food suppliers