Dr Anca Chirita, LLB, LLM, Dr. iur. (PhD), FHEA
Dr Anca Chirita convenes competition law at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. She is a member of the Senior Common Room at Grey College. Since 2017, she has been Director of Ethics and since 2016, a member of the Law School’s Research Committee and of the Faculty's Ethics Committee. She has been a Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network for the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition: 2017-2018 for the Cartel and 2018-2021 for the Unilateral Conduct Working Group.
Dr Chirita’s research and teaching expertise is in competition law, as below:
- Goals of competition law: competition policy’s social paradox of economic efficiency (ECJ), the historical interpretation of competition law (ICLQ);
- Restraints of competition: in industrial cartels (JELS also in Comparative Competition Policy, ECLR, OCL);
- Abuse of a dominant position: global platform dominance (Loyola Consumer Law Review: Loyola University Chicago), the rise of big data (Springer Nature), digital markets – oral / written evidence published by HM Treasury’s Digital Competition Expert Panel, editorial (CLR), anti-competitive practices (CLR, CPI), cross-border services (ECJ), undistorted competition (World Competition, shortlisted for junior award), comparative abuse of dominance book (Nomos, Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize), the Guidance Paper (ECJ), comparative law (ECJ, ECLR);
- Mergers: data-driven mergers (Hart), procedural rights (Springer), theories of harm (EC);
- State aid: for ‘Too-Big-to Fail’ banks (CYELS);
- Antitrust damages: disclosure of evidence under Directive 2014/104 (Springer);
- International trade: the implications of the UK’s exit for competition and trade, interviewed by BBC Radio 4, written evidence published by the House of Lords’ EU Internal Market Sub-Committee.
Her research has been published in both generalist (CUP’s International & Comparative Law Quarterly and Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies, German Journal of European Legal Studies, European Law Review, Irish Journal of European Law) and specialist journals (World Competition Law and Economics Review (Kluwer), European Competition Journal (Francis & Taylor), European Competition Law Review (Sweet & Maxwell), Competition Law Review, Oxford Competition Law, Competition Policy International) and with prestigious presses (CUP, Springer, Hart, Elgar, Nomos etc).
Anca’s research has been quoted, inter alia, by the OECD, DAF/COMP (2020)1, 31; the EC, Director-General for Competition’s Speech on the Object of Effects (2014); in the DG COMP’s Report on judges’ training needs in the field of European competition law (2016); in an official report on the digital economy commissioned for the Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs (2016); and in the 12th report of the House of Lords on ‘Competition and State aid’ (paras 54, 147, 186 & 198, 2018) etc.
She has delivered over 50 presentations, lectures, or seminars oversees (Amsterdam, Utrecht, Saarbrücken, Bonn, Hamburg, Munich’s Max Planck for Innovation and Competition; Bucharest’s Romanian Academy, Craiova, UCC, UCD, Madrid IE, Valencia, Rome La Sapienza, Sciences Po Paris, Oslo, Rovinj, Beijing, Philadelphia, Berkeley, Washington D.C., New York University School of Law, Cambridge, UCL, Queen Mary at the Competition Appeal Tribunal, KCL, Chatham House The Royal Institute of International Affairs, HM Treasury, Nottingham, Warwick, Liverpool, 53rd Congress of the International Association of Young Lawyers, the Law Society in London etc.).
Anca has been invited to act as a peer reviewer for the Council for European Studies conferences held in Philadelphia, Glasgow, Chicago and Madrid; for academic journals (OJLS, OUCLJ, JAE, CLR, YARS, JECML) or publishers (OUP, CUP, Macmillan, Elgar, Hart, Taylor & Francis); and for funding including the Austrian Academy of Sciences. Since 2011, she has been a member of the Editorial Review Board of Oxford Competition Law.
She was a Deputy Director of Research Impact and Deputy Chair of Ethics (2016/17), co-chair of the Law School-Business School’s Ethics Committee (2017-2019), a Co-Director of the Durham Institute of Commercial and Corporate Law (2018/19) and of the European Law Institute (2013/14), and a DAAD visiting fellow at the Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht (2012/14). Prior to joining the Law School in 2011, she was a PhD fellow of the Adenauer Foundation at the Europa-Institute, Saarland University, Faculty of Law and Economics. Her PhD in competition law was supervised by Professors Helmuth Schröter and Torsten Stein and awarded ‘summa cum laude’. During her PhD, she worked as a national expert with the College of Europe, Bruges (DG COMP project 2010/11), as a trainee with the Monopolies Commission in Bonn (2009), and as a Blue Book trainee with the European Commission in Brussels (2007/08). Previously, she completed the LL.M diploma in Saarbrücken with a triple specialism in competition law, WTO and human rights law (examinations in German, English and French).
Dr Chirita has been teaching competition law since 2011 as a postgraduate (40230) convener and since 2012 as an undergraduate (3011) convener, including supervision of LLB, LLM, MJur, and PhD dissertations. The Monckton Prize rewards the Best Undergraduate Student in Competition Law with a £500 cash prize and a Mini Pupillage at Monckton Chambers.
Teaching content is available on DUO. Recommended journals are available here. To date, Durham competition law students have published twelve journal articles in the European Competition Law Review (2018) 39 (2) 49, (2016) 37 (10) 406 and 37 (5) 179, (2019) 40 (3) 107 and (2) 83, World Competition (2018) 41 (3), 419 and Commonwealth Law Bulletin (2020) 46 (2). I currently supervise various dissertations but welcome research proposals (M.Jur./PhD) in competition law, e.g. the monopolisation of online platforms (Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft); exclusionary or exploitative abuse of data in the digital economy; remedies, e.g. breaking up monopolies; state aid and tax competition; algorithmic collusion; and online price discrimination.
In 2015-16, I was invited to act as a panel judge for The Undergraduate Awards; in 2016 for the Best Undergraduate Paper Competition at the 82nd IAES conference in Washington D.C. I also chaired the competition law session of postgraduate conferences organised by the ICCL (2019,’18,’17), DELI (’14) and provided competition law training to a delegation of judges, prosecutors and barristers from Thailand (2018).
Former students: R Wieser (MJur), G Bandi (PhD secondary). Ongoing: Liran Pang (PhD).
Recent external examinations: MPhil/PhD University of Oxford (2015, ’18, '19), PhD KCL (2017).
A selection of photos taken at various events organised in Durham or oversees is available here. Past invited speakers came from academia (KCL, UCD, Cambridge) or legal practice: European courts (General Court, Court of Justice), competition authorities (DG COMP, CMA) and law firms (Linklaters, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Clifford Chance).
Recent media inquiries came from Channel 4, Associated Press News, Gardian Labs, Sky News, Bloomberg Newsroom, Heise online, panel interview by BBC Radio 4.
Anca is a recipient of prestigious academic scholarships, inter alia, German Academic Exchange Service, Adenauer Foundation, Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt), LLB (four-year) scholarship for exceptional merit.
- 2014: China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law;
- 2012/14: DAAD fellowship;
- 2011: Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize; Vereinigung der Freunde der Universität des Saarlandes; Adenauer Stiftung;
- 2006/10: Adenauer doctoral fellowship;
- 2007/08 EC Blue Book traineeship;
- 2004/05: Foreign Office Scholarship (Auswärtiges Amt).
Durham Law School
- Durham European Law Institute
- Human Rights Centre
- Institute of Commercial and Corporate Law
Durham Law School
- Competition law (UK/EU) and comparative law (US antitrust law), policy and economics
- Restraint of trade, abuse of a dominant position, mergers, and state aid
- Public policy and the intersection of competition law with industrial property, big data, consumer law and environmental regulation
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). The German and Romanian Abuse of Market Dominance in the Light of Article 102 TFEU. Baden-Baden, Germany: Nomos Verlag.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). Editorial: Competition and Regulatory Trends in Digital Markets. The Competition Law Review, 12 (2): The Competition Law Scholars Forum, 119-130.
Chapter in book
- Chirita, Anca D. (2020). Data-Driven Mergers under EU Competition Law. In The Future of Commercial Law: Ways Forward for Change and Reform,. Akseli, O. & Linarelli, J. Oxford: Hart Publishing. 4: 147-183.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). The Rise of Big Data and the Loss of Privacy. In Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and IP Law - Towards a Holistic Approach?. Bakhoum, M., Gallego Conde, B., Mackenordt, M.-O. & Surblyte, G. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer Nature 37 p. 28: 153-189.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). The Disclosure of Evidence under the ‘Antitrust Damages’ Directive 2014/104/EU. In EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Public and Private Enforcement. Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer. 3: 147-173.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016). Procedural Rights in EU Administrative Competition Proceedings: Ex Ante Mergers. In Procedural Rights in Competition Law in the EU and China. Cauffman, C. & Hao, Q. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. 3: 59-99.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Legal Interpretation and Practice versus Legal Theory: A Reconciliation of Competition Goals and a Reply to Andriychuk. In Goals of Competition Law. Zimmer, D. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 118-131.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). The Impact of Directive 2011/83/EU on Consumer Rights. In Alternative Ways to Ius Commune: The Europeanisation of Private Law. Keirse, A.L.M. & Loos, M.B.M. Cambridge: Intersentia. 65-82.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007). Abuzul de Poziţie Dominantă în Dreptul Românesc al Cartelurilor în Lumina Dreptului European şi German. In Second Public Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. Universitaria, Craiova. 221-249.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007). The Abuse of a Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law. In Second Public Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. Universitaria, Craiova. 221-249.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2021). Abuse of Global Platform Dominance or Competition on the Merits?. Loyola Consumer Law Review
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). Competition Policy's Social Paradox: Are We Losing Sight of the Wood for the Trees?. European Competition Journal 14(2-3): 367-416.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). Google Android: Record-Breaking Fine on Anti-Competitive Practices Under Article 102 TFEU. CPI Antitrust Chronicle 1-6.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets. Competition Law Review 11(1): 109-131.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). The Judicial Review of the European Union Industrial Cartels. Zeitschrift für europarechtliche Studien (German Journal of European Legal Studies) 18(4): 407-441.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). A Legal-Historical Review of the EU Competition Rules. International & Comparative Law Quarterly 63(2): 281-316.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Recent Developments in EU Cartels. Oxford Competition Law
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 16: 255-288.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Cross-Border Service Payments under EU Fair Competition and SEPA Rules. European Competition Journal 8(2): 403-428.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Recent Abuse of Dominance and Cartel Cases. European Competition Law Review 33(5): 227-236
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). Access to Essential Facilities: A Comparative Competition Law Perspective of Shared Use and Recent Margin. Squeeze Cases, Competition Survey Studies, Researches and Analysis (1): 32-41.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). Accesul la Facilităţi Esenţiale: O Perspectivă Comparativă a Dreptului Concurenţei Comerciale Referitoare la Folosirea Comună şi Cazuri Recente Privind Preţurile Forfetare. Concurenţă Studii, cercetări şi analize privind protecţia concurenţei economice. = Competition Survey: Studies, Researches and Analyses Relating to Economic Competition (1): 38-48.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). Concurenţa comercială şi proprietatea industrială în dreptul Uniunii Europene. Competition Survey Studies, Researches and Analysis
- Chirita, Anca D. (2010). Undistorted, Un(fair) Competition, Consumer Welfare and the Interpretation of Article 102 TFEU. World Competition Law and Economics Review 33(3): 417-436.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2009). The EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC: An Efficient Means of Compliance for Germany?. European Competition Journal 5(3): 677-700.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008). The Abuse of Dominant Market Position under Romanian Antitrust Law in Light of European Antitrust Law. European Competition Law Review 29(3): 162-170.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008). The Analysis of Market Dominance and Restrictive Practices under German Antitrust Law in Light of EC Antitrust Law. European Competition Journal 4(2): 415-441.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). Publication review of Private Power, Online Information Flows and EU Law: Mind the Gap (Oxford, Hart Publishing, 2016) by Angela Daly. European Law Review 43(6): 971-973.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Review of Kiran Klaus Patel and Heike Schweitzer (eds), The Historical Foundations of EU Competition Law (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2013). Irish Journal of European Law 17(1): 145-148.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), The Rise of Big Data and the Loss of Privacy, in Bakhoum, M., Conde Gallego, B., Mackenordt, M.-O. & Surblytė-Namavičienė, G. eds, MPI Studies on Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 28 Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and IP Law: Towards a Holistic Approach?. Munich, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 153-189.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), Data-Driven Mergers under EU Competition Law, 13th edition of the Academic Society of Competition Law Conference on the 'Effects of Digitalization, Globalization, and Nationalism on Competition Law. New York University School of Law, USA.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), HM Treasury's Digital Competition Expert Panel, HM Treasury's Oral Evidence Round Table. The Law Society, London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), The Crossroads of Competition, Technology and Big Data, Competition Policy 2018: The relationship between antitrust, innovation and investment. Chatham House, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017), Data-Driven Mergers under US Anti-Trust and EU Competition Law, Society of Legal Scholars Annual Seminar 2017 The Future of Commercial Law: Ways Forward for Harmonisation. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017), Impact of Economic Efficiency on Employment: A Case Study of Mergers and Acquisitions, Durham Law School Staff Seminar. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017), The Shape of UK Competition Law post Brexit: an Inquiry into the History and Evolution of British Competition Laws and Institutions, Brexit Lecture Series. Durham Law School.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Chairing the Panel on 'Competitive Markets, Competitive States: Business, Trade, and Labor in Europe', The 23rd International Conference of Europeanists. Pennsylvania, U.S.A, Philadelphia PA.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Distribution Networks under UK Competition Law, Distribution Networks from the Perspective of Competition Law. Valencia, Spain.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Impact of Economic Efficiency on Employment: A Case Study of Mergers and Acquisitions, 82nd International Atlantic Economic Society Conference. Washington, DC.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Resilient Neo-Liberalism by Means of Promoting Fierce and Efficiency-Driven Free Market Competition, The 23rd International Conference of Europeanists. Pennsylvania, U.S.A, Philadelphia PA.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), The EU Competition Policy's ‘Social' Paradox: Moving Towards ‘Full' Employment with Austerity?, 28th Annual Meeting Conference of the Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics. Berkeley, University of California, U.S.A.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Consumer Rights, Misleading Advertising and Privacy in the Digital Age, 15th Conference of the International Association of Consumer Law. Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Distribution Agreements & Antitrust Issues at the Working Session on the 'Distribution of Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices', 53rd Annual Congress of the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA). London, London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), EU Competition Law and Social Policy, Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference. University of Warwick, England, University of Warwick.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets, Competition Law in Leisure Markets Competition Law Scholars Forum XXIII Workshop. Madrid.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Disclosure of Evidence under the Antitrust Damages Directive 2014/104/EU, in Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. eds, Europeanization and Globalization, 3 The 4th Petar Šarčević international scientific conference: EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Interaction between Public and Private Enforcement. Rovinj, Croatia, Springer, Berlin.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Interplay between Free Movement and Competition Law, Jean Monnet Centre for Europe in the World | Seminar Series. London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Role of EU Competition Law and Policy in Promoting Solidarity and Combating Austerity, 22nd International Conference of Europeanists: Contradictions: Envisioning European Futures, Council for European Studies, Columbia University. Sciences Po, Paris, France, Sciences Po, Paris.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), A Critical Review of Recent Substantive and Procedural Developments in EU Cartel, ISLE 2014 - 10th Annual Conference of the Italian Society of Law and Economics. Rome, Italy, Italian Society of Law and Economics (ISLE), University of Rome 'La Sapienza'.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), A Legal Historical Review of the European Union Competition Rules, Joint Liverpool European Law & Liverpool Economic Governance Seminar on European Competition Law. Liverpool.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), EU Cartel Infringements: a critical evaluation of recent substantive and procedural issues, The Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference. Nottingham, England, Nottingham.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Procedural Rights in EU Competition Law Procedures – Ex ante Procedures (Mergers), Conference on Procedural Rights in Competition Law. Beijing, China, China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), The Interplay between Free Movement of Goods/Services and Competition Law: object/effect restrictions of competition on free trade, The Constitutional Implications of Free Movement, European Law Network. Oslo, Norway, University of Oslo.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), Competition, Financial Markets and the Economic Crisis, Durham University Pre-sessional Lecture. Josephine Butler College, Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society, CELS Lunchtime Seminar Series 2013-2014, Centre for European Legal Studies, Seminar. University of Cambridge, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), A Comparative Analysis of Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts, 4th Annual Conference of the Irish Society of Comparative Law. University College Cork, Ireland, University College Cork.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), In Search of Effectiveness, Sixth Annual Postgraduate Workshop: In Search of Effectiveness - Current Trends and Challenges in Competition Law Enforcement. University College Dublin, Ireland, University College Dublin.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), Pricing Practices under Article 102 TFEU, 6th IMEDIPA (University College London) International Conference on Competition Law and Policy. Faculty of Law, University of Bucharest, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Lwa.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Competition and Industrial Property under EU law, Bucharest, The Romanian Academy, Bucharest.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Competition Law, Policy, and Enforcement, 7th Annual Competition & Regulation Meeting: Competition Policy for Emerging Economies: When and How?. Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics, The Netherlands, Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Cross-Border Service Payments under EU Fair Competition and SEPA Rules, Durham Law School Seminar Series 2011/2012. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Effects of the New Directive, Unfair Contract Terms, On-line Bargains and the Effectiveness of Private Enforcement for EU consumers, The Optional Instrument and the Consumer Rights Directive – Alternative ways to a new Ius Commune in contract law. The Ius Commune Congress, Utrecht, The Netherlands, Ius Commune Congress, Utrecht.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), The Importance of Access to Essential Facilities in Building Competitive Markets in Network Industries, The Competition Council Annual Conference. Bucharest, Bucharest.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), The Interplay of EU Competition Law and Industrial Property, The 3rd Annual Conference of the Irish Society of Comparative Law, University College Dublin. Ireland.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2010), How to Reconcile the Deontological Nature of Competition with Welfare-oriented Economic Goals, Academic Society for Competition Law (ASCOLA) Goals of Competition Law, University of Bonn. Germany.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2009), A Critical Analysis of the EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC, Competition Appeal Tribunal: ICC Annual International PhD Conference. Queen Mary, University of London, England, Queen Mary University of London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008), The Abuse of Dominance under the German Act against Restraints of Competition, Third German-Romanian Colloquium on European Law. Saarbrücken, Germany, SaarbrÃ¼cken.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008), The Analysis of Market Dominance and of Restrictive Practices under German Antitrust Law, International Graduate Legal Research Conference. King’s College London, England, King's College London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008), The Ordoliberal Thinking in light of Recent Developments in German and European Antitrust Law, UCL Laws Graduate Networking Conference. University College London, England, University College London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007), The Abuse of a Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law in light of European Antitrust Law, International Graduate Legal Research Conference. King’s College London, England, King's College London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007), The Abuse of Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law: Principles and Perspectives, Second Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. University of Craiova, Romania, University of Craiova.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). Written Evidence to HM Treasury's Digital Competition Expert Panel. HM Treasury.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). Written Evidence to the House of Lords' EU Internal Market Sub-Committee on Brexit: competition inquiry. London, Lords Select Committee.
Available for media contact about:
- European Law: European competition law