Mrs Karen Jones
Karen Jones is a Research Associate at the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring (CEM) and PhD student at the School of Education. Following her degree in mathematics Karen qualified as a secondary mathematics teacher and a careers advisor. After several years working in schools Karen joined CEM in 2004 where she has worked on a number of research projects, specialising in the analysis of large datasets. Karen is currently working on an EU project studying the impact of school inspections.
School of Education
- Low Attainment in Mathematics an Investigation Focussing on Year Nine Students in England (IMAP)
- Quantitative research methods
- School inspections and accountability
- Value added and school effectiveness
Chapter in book
- Ehren, M. C. Jones, K., & Perryman, J. (Published). Chapter Chapter 5. In Methods and Modalities of Effective School Inspections. Ehren, M. C. Springer International Publishing. 87.
- Jones, Karen L., Tymms, Peter, Kemethofer, David, O’Hara, Joe, McNamara, Gerry, Huber, Stephan, Myrberg, Eva, Skedsmo, Guri & Greger, David (2017). The unintended consequences of school inspection: the prevalence of inspection side-effects in Austria, the Czech Republic, England, Ireland, the Netherlands, Sweden, and Switzerland. Oxford review of education 43(6): 805-822.
- Jones, K.L. & Tymms, P.B. (2014). Ofsted's role in promoting school improvement: The mechanisms of the school inspection system in England. Oxford Review of Education 40(3): 315-330.
- Barmby, P., Kind, P. & Jones, K. (2008). Examining Changing Attitudes in Secondary School Science. International Journal of Science Education 30(8): 1075-1093.
- Torgerson, C.J., Wiggins, A., Torgerson, D.J., Ainsworth, H., Barmby, P., Hewitt, C., Jones, K., Hendry, V., Askew, M., Bland, M., Coe, R., Higgins, S., Hodgen, J., Hulme, C. & Tymms, P. (2011). Every Child Counts: The Independent evaluation Executive Summary. Department for Education (DfE).
- Torgerson, C.J., Wiggins, A., Torgerson, D.J., Ainsworth, H., Barmby, P., Hewitt, C., Jones, K., Hendry, V., Askew, M., Bland, M., Coe, R., Higgins, S., Hodgen, J., Hulme, C. & Tymms, P. (2011). The Every Child Counts Independent Evaluation Report to DfE.
- Merrell, C., Jones, P., Bolden, D., Jones, K., Defty, N. & Ndaji, F. (2010). Evaluation of procedures for calculating National Ratings: A report for the Scottish Qualifications Authority.
- Merrell, C., Jones, P., Bolden, D., Jones, K., Defty, N. & Ndaji, F. (2010). For helping young children: A review of pupils' attitudes to Science and Mathematics.
- Wiggins, A., Coe, R., Jones, K. & Kan, M-Y. (2009). Evidence of educational support outside of school. London.
- Coe, R., Jones, K., Searle, J., Kokotsaki, C., Mohd Kosnin, A. & Skinner, P. (2008). Evidence on the effects of selective educational systems. London.
- Coe, R.J., Searle, J., Barmby, P., Jones, K. & Higgins, S. (2008). Relative difficulty of examinations in different subjects. CEM Centre, School of Education.