Dr Hubert P. H. Shum,
SMIEEE, FHEA, PhD, PGCert, MSc, BEng (Hons)
Computer Vision, Computer Graphics, Motion Analysis, Machine Learning
Dr Hubert P. H. Shum is an Associate Professor in Computer Science at Durham University. Before this, he worked as the Director of Research/Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer at Northumbria University, and a Postdoctoral Researcher at RIKEN Japan. He received his PhD degree from the University of Edinburgh, his Master and Bachelor degrees from the City University of Hong Kong. To develop his team, he led funded research projects as the Principal Investigator awarded by EPSRC, the Ministry of Defence (DASA) and the Royal Society. This facilitated him to supervise more than 20 PhDs, recruit multiple Post-doctoral Researchers, and collaborate with international researchers from the UK, China, France, Japan and India. He led his team hosting important conferences such as BMVC and ACM SIGGRAPH Conference on MIG to engage the academic and industry networks. Contributing to the research community, he has served as an Associate Editor for Computer Graphics Forum, a Guest Editor for International Journal of Computer Vision, and a Program Committee member in 15 conferences such as CVPR, Eurographics, Pacific Graphics. He has published over 100 research papers in the fields of computer vision, computer graphics, motion analysis and machine learning, particularly focusing on the modelling of human-related data.
Working with Us
If you aspire to develop yourself and conduct high-quality research, do explore working with the team as a PhD student, a visiting/internship student, or an academic visitor. Dr Shum's team has a supportive culture with members coming from different countries. Past members have developed successful research and have enjoyed their vibrant lifes in the UK. See further information and application procedures.
Some self-funded PhD oppotunities include:
- Deep Learning based Computer Graphics for Creating Virtual Characters
- Computer Vision with Deep Learning for Human Data Modelling
- Computer Vision for Drones/UAVs Tracking from Video
- Analyzing the Humans Context in Artworks and Cartoon with Computer Vision
- Machine Learning based Human Data Analysis for Automatic Diseases Diagnosis
Recent Research Grants
- Security Technology Research Innovation Grants Programme (Ref: 007CD), "Tracking Drones Across Different Platforms with Machine Vision", Principal Investigator
- Defence and Security Accelerator (Ref: DSTLX-1000140725), "D-FOCUS: Drone-FOrmation Control for countering future Unmanned aerial Systems", Principal Investigator
- GX Project Grants Scheme, "Wound Monitoring with Depth Cameras on Portable Systems", Principal Investigator
- Royal Society International Exchanges (Ref: IES\R2\181024), "Modelling Human Motion for Synthesis and Recognition with Deep Learning on Surface Features", Principal Investigator
- Royal Society International Exchanges (Ref: IE160609), "An Affective Smart Environment for Personalized Learning and Teaching", Principal Investigator
- Erasmus Mundus Action 2 Programme (Ref: 2014-0861/001-001), "Sustainable Green Economies through Learning, Innovation, Networking and Knowledge Exchange (gLink)", Northumbria University Funding Management Officer
- EPSRC (Ref: EP/M002632/1), "Interaction-based Human Motion Analysis", Principal Investigator
- Men, Qianhui, Ho, Edmond S. L. Shum, Hubert P. H. & Leung, Howard (Accepted). A Quadruple Diffusion Convolutional Recurrent Network for Human Motion Prediction. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT)
- Hu, Shanfeng, Shum, Hubert, Aslam, Nauman, Li, Frederick W.B. & Liang, Xiaohui (2020). A Unified Deep Metric Representation for Mesh Saliency Detection and Non-rigid Shape Matching. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 22(9): 2278-2292.
- Shen, Yijun, Yang, Longzhi, Ho, Edmond S. L. & Shum, Hubert P. H. (2020). Interaction-Based Human Activity Comparison. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 26(8): 2620.
- Kar, Arindam, Pramanik, Sourav, Chakraborty, Arghya, Bhattacharjee, Debotosh, Ho, Edmond S. L. & Shum, Hubert P. H. (2020). LMZMPM: Local Modified Zernike Moment Per-unit Mass for Robust Human Face Recognition. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 16: 495-509.
- Wang, He, Ho, Edmond S. L., Shum, Hubert P. H. & Zhu, Zhanxing (2019). Spatio-temporal Manifold Learning for Human Motions via Long-horizon Modeling. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics
- Zhang, Jingtian, Shum, Hubert P. H., Han, Jungong & Shao, Ling (2018). Action Recognition From Arbitrary Views Using Transferable Dictionary Learning. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 27(10): 4709.
- Rueangsirarak, Worasak, Zhang, Jingtian, Aslam, Nauman, Ho, Edmond S. L. & Shum, Hubert P. H. (2018). Automatic Musculoskeletal and Neurological Disorder Diagnosis With Relative Joint Displacement From Human Gait. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering 26(12): 2387.
- Zhang, Lining, Shum, Hubert P. H. & Shao, Ling (2017). Manifold Regularized Experimental Design for Active Learning. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 26(2): 969.
- Zhang, Lining, Shum, Hubert & Shao, Ling (2016). Discriminative Semantic Subspace Analysis for Relevance Feedback. IEEE Transactions on Image Processing 1.
- Liu, Zhiguang, Zhou, Liuyang, Leung, Howard & Shum, Hubert P.H. (2016). Kinect Posture Reconstruction Based on a Local Mixture of Gaussian Process Models. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 22(11): 2437.
- Henry, Joseph, Shum, Hubert P. H. & Komura, Taku (2014). Interactive Formation Control in Complex Environments. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 20(2): 211.
- Shum, Hubert P. H., Ho, Edmond S. L., Jiang, Yang & Takagi, Shu (2013). Real-Time Posture Reconstruction for Microsoft Kinect. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics 43(5): 1357.
- Shum, Hubert P.H., Komura, Taku & Yamazaki, Shuntaro (2012). Simulating Multiple Character Interactions with Collaborative and Adversarial Goals. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 18(5): 741.
- Shum, Hubert P. H., Komura, Taku, Shiraishi, Masashi & Yamazaki, Shuntaro (2008). Interaction patches for multi-character animation. ACM Transactions on Graphics 27(5): 1.
- Zhu, Manli, Men, Qianhui, Ho, Edmond S. L., Leung, Howard & Shum, Hubert P. H. (2021), Interpreting Deep Learning based Cerebral Palsy Prediction with Channel Attention, IEEE International Conference on Biomedical and Health Informatics (BHI'21). IEEE.
Available for media contact about:
- Computer Science: Graphics and animation
- Computer Science: Machine learning, computer vision
- Computer Science: Virtual reality, augmented reality