How to find us
Durham city centre is only two miles from the A1(M). Leave the motorway at Junction 62 on the A690 Durham - Sunderland road and follow signs to Durham City Centre.
Durham is 264 miles from London, 187 miles from Birmingham, 125 miles from Edinburgh and 67 miles from York.
There are several express coach services daily from most major cities. Durham is well served by both regional express services and the local bus network. From the city bus station - a short walk from the railway station - a bus service runs every 15 minutes past the Colleges on South Road.
60 InterCity trains from most major centres in the country call at Durham daily including 14 trains from London. The National Express high speed service takes under 3 hours from London King's Cross on the main East Coast line. First Transpennine Express offers frequent links to Manchester, Sheffield and Leeds, while Cross Country links Durham directly with Scotland, the Midlands, and the South West.
Durham is just over 3 hours from Birmingham, 2½ hours from Manchester, 1½ hours from Edinburgh and 45 minutes from York.
A taxi will take you from the station to any College within 5 minutes and you can walk to the city centre in 10 minutes.
Durham is 30 minutes' drive from Newcastle Airport and about 40 minutes from Durham Tees Valley. Both have regular domestic and international flights. Durham is linked to Newcastle Airport by rail and metro. Travellers into Durham Tees Valley can take advantage of the free Sky Express bus service that links the airport to Darlington railway station, with regular connections to Durham.
Scheduled ferry services link the River Tyne to The Netherlands.
Queen's Campus, Stockton
Queen's Campus, Stockton is linked by the A66 to the A1(M) and the A19.
From A19 North to Queen's Campus
- Join the A66, signposted Stockton/Darlington
- Take the first slip road from A66, signposted Teesside Retail Park/Tees Barrage
- Turn right at the traffic lights, over the bridge across the A66, following signs for the Barrage.
- Turn left at the roundabout.
For Holliday Building, Ebsworth Building and Wolfson Research Institute:
- Turn right at the next small roundabout into East Drive and keep forward into the Main Campus Car Park. Buildings are signposted and large campus maps are located around the car park.
For Stephenson College Residence:
- Turn right at the next small roundabout into East Drive. George Stephenson College Residences are located to the left of East Drive.
For John Snow College Residence:
- Follow directions 1-4 above.
- Drive along Princeton Drive and turn left at roundabout into Station Street.
- At the next roundabout the Residences are directly opposite.
- Take second left at the roundabout into Sorbonne Close - John Snow College Residences are on the right hand side.
From A19 South to Queen's Campus
Join the slip road for the A66 signpost Stockton/Darlington. Keep on the slip road and follow the signs for the Barrage as described above.
East Coast Main Line operate high speed services from London, York and Edinburgh to Darlington, with a connection to Thornaby Railway Station.
The Transpennine Express provides a direct approximately hourly service from Manchester Airport, Manchester, Leeds and York to Thornaby.
Northern Rail operate a regular service from Saltburn to Newcastle and Bishop Aukland that stops at Thornaby and Durham.
For Stephenson College Residence
Once at Thornaby Station, climb the steps and turn right onto the footbridge. Walk over the footbridge and turn right along Station Street. At the roundabout turn right into Princeton Drive. At the next small roundabout turn left into East Drive. The College is on your left.
For John Snow College Residence
Once at Thornaby Station, climb the steps and turn right onto the footbridge. Walk over the footbridge and turn left into Chapel Street towards the Dubliners pub, passing Alexanders, (the Saab garage). The College is on Sorbonne Close which is directly opposite the Chapel Street roundabout.
* For those unable to climb the steps to the footbridge, the station approach road leads onto Mandale Road where successive right turns lead to Chapel Street and Station Street. As this is an extra half mile a taxi is recommended.
Durham Tees Valley Airport is just 8 miles from Stockton and Newcastle Airport is 50 minutes drive.