Dr Joanildo Burity
(email at email@example.com)
Joanildo A. Burity completed his PhD in Government (Ideology and Discourse Analysis) at Essex University in 1995, as a grantee from the Brazilian Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq). His MA in Political Science was completed at the Federal University of Pernambuco (Brazil) and his BA in History at the Federal University of Paraiba (Brazil). He is a Senior Researcher (on leave) and former Director of the Social Research Institute at Joaquim Nabuco Foundation (Recife, Brazil), and a Senior Lecturer at the Postgraduate Programmes in Sociology and Political Science at the Federal University of Pernambuco. He was a Visiting Research Associate at the Centre for the Study of Democracy (University of Westminster, London), and a Fulbright Young Scholar at the University of Texas, Austin. He joined Durham University in 2009 to lead the Faith and Globalisation Programme, co-hosted by the School of Government and International Affairs and the Department of Theology and Religion. He co-leads the Latin American Regional Interest Group, an initiative of the University's Internationalisation Strategy which co-ordinates teaching and research on that area across departments at Durham.
Dr. Burity is currently working on global pentecostalism and ecumenical/interfaith involvement in global networks of social activism. Pentecostal global expansion, its social and political entrepreneurial ethics and the role and contribution of radical religion to the alterglobalist (global justice) movement are the main areas of interest. The project seeks to investigate the growing process of minoritisation of the world (Connolly) whereby there is both a proliferation of particular identities as politicised actors, claiming rights and recognition and recurrent attempts by hegemonic groups to avert contestation by forcing opponents into a minority status or treating them as such. Pentecostal self-assertion as a cultural and political force globally and locally and religious agency from ecumenical and interfaith groups in seeking alternatives to hegemonic globalisation are studied from this perspective, through a comparison of Latin American and European cases.
International Relations/International Political Economy
Political Theory and Culture
- Democracy, Networks and Collective Action in Latin America
- Dicourse Theory and Poststructuralist Political Theory
- Globalisation, Culture and Religion
- Politics, Culture and Identity
- Religion and Social Policy Making (Latin America)
- Religion, Citizenship and Collective Action
- Building Peace, Civil Society and State Building from Below (2 hours/year.)
- Defence, Development and Diplomacy in Conflict: Evolving Actors, Factors and Paradigms (4 hours/year.)
- Religion and Globalisation (30 hours/year.)
- Religion, Culture and Conflict (15 hours/year.)
- Burity, Joanildo (2011). Fé na Revolução. Protestantismo e o discurso revolucionário brasileiro (1961-1964). Rio de Janeiro: Novos Diálogos.
- Burity, Joanildo (2006). 'Redes, parcerias e participacao religiosa nas politicas sociais Brasil'. Recife, Massangana.
- Burity, Joanildo & Andrade, Péricles (2011). Religião e Cidadania [Religion and Citizenship]. Aracaju and Recife, Brazil: Federal University of Sergipe and Joaquim Nabuco Foundation.
- Burity, Joanildo, Rodrigues, Cibele & Secundino, Marcondes (2010). Desigualdades e Justiça Social. Vol 1 Dinâmica Estado-Sociedade; Vol. 2 Diferenças Culturais e Políticas de Identidade = Inequalities and Social Justice. Vol 1 State-Society Dynamics; vol. 2 Cultural Differences and Politics of Identity. Belo Horizonte: Argvmentvm.
- Burity, Joanildo (2009). 'Inequality, Culture and Globalization in Emerging Societies: Reflections on the Brazilian Case'. In Globalization and Emerging Societies: Development and Inequality. Nederveen Pieterse, Jan & Rehbein, Boike Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. 161-181.
- Burity, Joanildo (2008). 'Discurso politica e sujeito na teoria da hegemonia de Ernesto Laclau'. In Pos-Estruturalismo e Teoria do Discurso: em torno de Ernesto Laclau. Porto Alegre. 35-51.
Journal papers: academic
- Burity, Joanildo (2009). ‘Religião e lutas identitárias por cidadania e justiça: Brasil e Argentina’. Ciências Sociais Unisinos 45(3): 183-195.
- Burity, Joanildo (2008). 'Brazil's Rise: Inequality, culture and globalisation'. Futures 40: 735-747.
- Burity, Joanildo (2008). 'Cultura, identidade e inclusao: O lugar da religiao para seus atores e interlocutores'. Debates do NER 9: 11-52.
- Burity, Joanildo (2008). 'Religiao, politica, cultura'. Tempo Social: Revista de Sociologia 20: 83-113.
- Burity, Joanildo (2007). 'Organizacoes religiosas e acoes sociais: entre as politicas publicas e a sociedade civil'. Revista Anthropologicas 18: 7-48.
- Burity, Joanildo (2007). 'Trajetorias da religiao e da modernidade: a narrativa historica de uma objecao'. Estudas de Sociologia 13: 19-48.
Journal papers: online
- Burity, Joanildo (2010). Alter-globalist Latin American Religious Responses to Economic Globalization. Journal of Globalization for the Common Good (2010).
- Burity, Joanildo (2008). 'How can two particularisms add up to one diverse universalism? Cultural and religious identities in Brazil'. Rethinking Political Frontiers and Democracy in a New World Order Conference: Ideology and Discourse Analysis