Dr Maria Dimova-Cookson, B.A. (Sofia), M.A. (York), D. Phil. (York)
Lecturer in Politics and Deputy Director of the Centre for the History of Political Thought
Maria Dimova-Cookson has been a British Academy postdoctoral fellow at University College London, a visiting fellow at University of East Anglia and a lecturer in Political theory at the University of Sheffield, before taking up a lectureship in Politics at Durham.
- International Relations/International Political Economy
- Political Theory and Culture
- Theories of liberty
- Justice and human rights
- The political philosophy of the British Idealists, moral issues in contemporary political theory: the nature of the moral good, solution of moral conflicts
Indicators of Esteem
- 2009: Contemporary Political Theory: Review Editor
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2001). T.H.Green's Moral and Political Philosophy: A Phenomenological Perspective. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Gary Browning, Raia Prokhovnik & Maria Dimova-Cookson (2012). Dialogues with Contemporary Political Theorists. International Political Theory. Palgrave.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria & Stirk, P.M.R. (2009). Multiculturalism and Moral Conflict. Routledge Innovations in Political Theory. London: Routledge: Routledge.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria & Mander, William (2006). T.H. Green: Ethics, Metaphysics and Political Philosophy. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Edited works: contributions
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2013). “T.H. Green”. In Wiley-Blackwell's International Encyclopaedia of Ethics. LaFollette, Hugh Wiley-Blackwell. 2238-2243.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2012). “Late nineteenth and early twentieth century British Thought”. In The Routledge Companion to Social and Political Philosophy. Gaus, Gerald & D’Agostino, Fred London: Routledge. 147-57.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2012). 'Defending Isaiah Berlin's Distinctions between Positive and Negative Freedoms'. In Isaiah Berlin and the Politics of Freedom: Berlin's 'Two Concepts of Liberty' 50 years Later. Baum, Bruce & Nichols, Robert Routledge. 73-86.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2012). 'Subaltern Studies, Post-colonial Marxism and ‘Finding Your Place to Begin from’ An Interview with Dipesh Chakrabarty'. In Dialogues with Contemporary Political Theorists. Browning, Gary, Prokhovnik, Raia & Dimova-Cookson, Maria Palgrave Macmillan. 58-73.
- Browning, Gary, Prokhovnik, Raia & Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2012). Introduction - Dialogues with Contemporary Political Theorists: Then and Now. In Dialogues with Contemporary Political Theorists. Browning, Gary, Prokhovnik, Raia & Dimova-Cookson, Maria Palgrave Macmillan. 1-23.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2010). "Introduction". In Multiculturalism and Moral Conflict. Dimova-Cookson, Maria & Stirk, P.M.R. Routledge. 1-16.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2006). 'Resolving Moral Conflicts:British Idealist and Contemporary Liberal Approaches to Value Pluralism and Moral Conduct'. In T.H.Green: Ethics, Metaphysics and Political Philosophy. Dimova-Cookson, Maria & Mander, William J. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 292-315.
Journal papers: academic
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2011). Justice as a secondary moral ideal: the British idealists and the personal ethics perspective in understanding social justice. European Journal of Political Theory 10(1): 46-70.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria. (2010). “Republicanism, philosophy of freedom and the history of ideas: An interview with Philip Pettit”. Contemporary Political Theory 9(4): 477-489.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2005). 'Internalism and Externalism in Ethics Applied to the Liberal-Communitarian Debate'. British Journal of Politics and International Relations 7(1): 18-28.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2004). 'Conceptual Clarity, Freedom and Normative Ideas: Reply to Blau'. Political Theory 32(4): 554-562.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2003). 'A New Scheme of Positive and Negative Freedom: Re-constructing T.H. Green on Freedom'. Political Theory 31(4): 508-32.
- Dimova-Cookson, Maria (2003). 'Bentham, Mill and Green on the Nature of the Good'. Journal of Bentham Studies 6.